Who open carries on a regular basis?

These stories have kind of got me curious.

When you guys say you open carry, but it causes trouble? I mean what exactly can they do to you?

I can see people freaking out, thats what sheeple do.

But I guess im asking, is there actually laws that you can get in trouble if people complain, even though it is legal to open carry.

Do people actually freak out and say stuff to you?

Do the police actually make you put your gun away? or just talk to you. When you say they dont know the law do they call it in and find out or what?'

Ha I know this prolly looks like a ton of random questions. Im just curious.

We cant open carry in Texas so I have never had to deal with it.

Curiousity has got the best of me, I have never been able to open carry and I dont know how Id handle that situation. It would deff bother me, lol, Id like to hear some of you guys experiences.

In Washington state it is illegal to carry or display a gun in a manner that "warrants" alarm. That's good because it means that just because someone is alarmed doesn't necessarily mean you did anything to cause that. But people still do call 911 to report a "man with a gun". And the police are usually happy to respond to the scene in grand fashion even though the "perp" was described as doing nothing more than peacefully wearing the gun according to the law. And whatever happens after the cops get there is whatever they say happened. Like the guy in the video you better go overboard in being "nicey nice" or you will be accused of having a threatening manner or whatever else they can tag you with. And unless you have your video camera with you, that still may not help you. What I just described may not happen all the time or most of the time but the fact that it does happen and can easily happen makes open carrying not an option for me.

Hey Dogman....

Did you hear that the theory was JUST tested in your neck of the woods?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These stories have kind of got me curious.

When you guys say you open carry, but it causes trouble? I mean what exactly can they do to you?

I can see people freaking out, thats what sheeple do.

But I guess im asking, is there actually laws that you can get in trouble if people complain, even though it is legal to open carry.

Do people actually freak out and say stuff to you?

Do the police actually make you put your gun away? or just talk to you. When you say they dont know the law do they call it in and find out or what?'

Ha I know this prolly looks like a ton of random questions. Im just curious.

We cant open carry in Texas so I have never had to deal with it.

Curiousity has got the best of me, I have never been able to open carry and I dont know how Id handle that situation. It would deff bother me, lol, Id like to hear some of you guys experiences.

In Washington state it is illegal to carry or display a gun in a manner that "warrants" alarm. That's good because it means that just because someone is alarmed doesn't necessarily mean you did anything to cause that. But people still do call 911 to report a "man with a gun". And the police are usually happy to respond to the scene in grand fashion even though the "perp" was described as doing nothing more than peacefully wearing the gun according to the law. And whatever happens after the cops get there is whatever they say happened. Like the guy in the video you better go overboard in being "nicey nice" or you will be accused of having a threatening manner or whatever else they can tag you with. And unless you have your video camera with you, that still may not help you. What I just described may not happen all the time or most of the time but the fact that it does happen and can easily happen makes open carrying not an option for me.

Hey Dogman....

Did you hear that the theory was JUST tested in your neck of the woods?

I hadn't seen that. It looks like now if you argue that you haven't broken any laws you are now classified as "belligerent". In either of the two incidents cited I see no obvious reason to say that he "warranted" alarm or sought to intimidate anyone. This is just par for the course.

In Yuma, Az I did all the time however after getting to NC and seeing that "Going armed to the terror of the public" provision to the Open Carry law I have since gotten my concealed carry permit. I dont need the old, purple haired, granny sniveling to "LAW" about some young, bald headed man walking down the street with a pistol on his hip.

Plus, even given the fact that you are LEGALLY carring concealed it puts a smile on my face everytime I think to myself "they dont know" what I got under my shirt/jacket.

[/ quote]

I can not speak for New Mexico but his guy would be in violation of Georgia Law when:

A: He walked up into the the middle of the Traffic Stop the second time after being told to stand clear by the officer. This is Obstruction.

B. When he failed to present ID when requested by the Officer. "Failure to exhibit Drivers License on demand."

Walking around looking for trouble is not standing up for your rights, it is being a dumbass.

... And the police are usually happy to respond to the scene in grand fashion even though the "perp" was described as doing nothing more than peacefully wearing the gun according to the law. And whatever happens after the cops get there is whatever they say happened. Like the guy in the video you better go overboard in being "nicey nice" or you will be accused of having a threatening manner or whatever else they can tag you with. And unless you have your video camera with you, that still may not help you. What I just described may not happen all the time or most of the time but the fact that it does happen and can easily happen makes open carrying not an option for me.

Well since it is a "fact," you will be able to show some kind of proof that this happens, right? Otherwise your usage of the word "fact" must be one previously unknown to me... synonymous in this case with "heavily biased opinion."

Likewise, please explain your knowledge of what the police are "happy" to do. I mean how do you know what all of these officers are thinking or for that matter what the call was dispatched as?

You have no idea what you are talking about, you never do when it comes to the police. :lolol:

As to open carry itself, I could care less either way. When acting as an armed citizen I prefer the tactical advantage of folks not knowing I am armed. There are also far less issues of having to be protective of your firearm. I doubt that most folks here have any idea who to fight off someone that is trying to disarm you. You might want to keep that in mind before exercising your right.

I can not speak for New Mexico but his guy would be in violation of Georgia Law when:

A: He walked up into the the middle of the Traffic Stop the second time after being told to stand clear by the officer. This is Obstruction.

There you cops go again, making stuff up :lolol:I saw him walk up to the scene and be told to leave the scene and he did.

B. When he failed to present ID when requested by the Officer. "Failure to exhibit Drivers License on demand."

That is the case here locally as well, or so I'm told by police. Maybe I should double check on that. :D

Walking around looking for trouble is not standing up for your rights, it is being a dumbass.

This I totally agree with. Watching it again, it looks like he is looking for a situation to get involved in. I don't think people should go around looking for trouble with the police, their job is hard enough as it is. But then again, I don't think the police should be harassing this guy for carrying a firearm.

I don't understand how people can be so disassociated from firearms that the mire sight of one frightens them. It would be a totally different situation if they where involved in a firearm related situation that was traumatizing, but I highly doubt this is the case most of the time. I will continue to open carry whenever I feel the need or desire. I just hope the gun hating hippies stay the fuck out of Az.

... And the police are usually happy to respond to the scene in grand fashion even though the "perp" was described as doing nothing more than peacefully wearing the gun according to the law. And whatever happens after the cops get there is whatever they say happened. Like the guy in the video you better go overboard in being "nicey nice" or you will be accused of having a threatening manner or whatever else they can tag you with. And unless you have your video camera with you, that still may not help you. What I just described may not happen all the time or most of the time but the fact that it does happen and can easily happen makes open carrying not an option for me.

You have no idea what you are talking about, you never do when it comes to the police. :lolol:

So you would be able to supply some kind of proof that this is true then, right?

Look Azrial, I'm not going to play your little word games with you. Have fun with that all by yourself. Go ahead and dissect all my sentences for little traces of evil intent or whatever it is that you do. Suffice it to say that you and I don't agree on many things and I'm perfectly fine with that. If it really mattered to me I would try to play along but frankly I just don't care what you think about what I think, to put it quite bluntly.

There you cops go again, making stuff up :lolol:I saw him walk up to the scene and be told to leave the scene and he did.

That is the case here locally as well, or so I'm told by police. Maybe I should double check on that. :D

This I totally agree with. Watching it again, it looks like he is looking for a situation to get involved in. I don't think people should go around looking for trouble with the police, their job is hard enough as it is. But then again, I don't think the police should be harassing this guy for carrying a firearm.

I don't understand how people can be so disassociated from firearms that the mire sight of one frightens them. It would be a totally different situation if they where involved in a firearm related situation that was traumatizing, but I highly doubt this is the case most of the time. I will continue to open carry whenever I feel the need or desire. I just hope the gun hating hippies stay the fuck out of Az.

I miss AZ,I went to school in tucson and moved away when I was 18.I remember that seeing a gun on someones hip was a normal thing.

[/ quote]

Azrial, I am not trying to get into a fight with you here, but you are wrong about being required to present a drivers license. If he was driving he would be required. But he was walking. As far as identifying yourself. the law is says you are only requires to id yourself if you are being investigated, detained or arrested on reasonable suspician of a crime. I am not talking about acceptable practice, I am referring to what the LAW ACTUALLY STATES.

And he was... He did 2things wrong before he even said anything to the officer.

Jaywalking.

interfering with an official police investigation.

those right there are the officers 2 stopping charges. Now the officer can write him a ticket for the first and take him to jail for the second. After the traffic stop the officer can ask him for his id...not producing id is another ticket, however you are then required to give your name sex,(if it's in question) and date of birth...failure to do that is refusal to identify and another arrestable charge. When he walks away he's walking on the street where a sidewalk is clearly provided...another ticket. Don't do what this guy did.

I guess I have first hand knowledge of these types of incidents since I HAVE been videotaped while doing my job AND have dealt with OC'ers.

First off, I don't have a problem being video'ed just as long as you stay out of my way, do not interfere, and understand that if the shit hits and you get hurt or worse, it's on YOUR ass.

Now, if someone is making something of an ass of themselves about it, let's say by NOT obeying when I ask them to step back or away, I will ask for their identification.

Why?

Because I will be putting it in my report to make sure that if it does wind up on Youtube, it isn't edited or altered to intentionally make the incident into something it wasn't.

Now as to the other part of this, I don't have a problem with OC'ers most of the time.

Most of them are actually kind of fun to watch because they are either:

1. Doing it for the first time or nearly so and are so self conscious that their antics will make you laugh.

2. Been OCing for a while and are no problem at all.

3. Believe they are God's gift to the OC "movement" and are out looking and begging for a confrontation. Either to get themselves on Youtube, or get money or a motorcycle from a city PD, etc.

I've had several OC advocates confront me while I was in uniform and ask some question such as "Why can't I carry a gun in public like that?"

To which I reply "Well, you can most of the time." (Happened at Home Depot of all places)

Which really disappoints them because they were itching for some other response from me.

None of us can mind read.

So unless any of us was actually there, we really don't know what happend.

Edited by Dancing Bear

Gentleman I didn't think this would turn towards this type of conversation. Something to keep in mind, every states laws are different. What one state requires others don't, what is a citation or an arrest in one state may not even be a law in another. I don't believe open carry is all about making a statement, there's a purpose. To protect ones self and others.

Although I met my fair share of police when I worked for the fire department that were not good at there job, I met a good amount that were excellent and honest men that were there to do there job and would most likely agree with all the statements here. FYI cops like guns too and they would probably like to keep theres when they retire. Don't make it an us vs them thing it's a waste of your time, they don't write the laws they enforce them. Being "detained" does not make you a bad person, you have not even been to a trial to be found guilty yet (yet another thing I hate to see the media report on, what a waste of time and resources).

I have been asked for my identification a couple times, I have no reason to live in fear, I have done nothing wrong. Usually they check your ID and go on there way, some stick around to bullshit. If your not the type that likes attention, then conceal carry (law permitting of course). I prefer to carry concealed but occasionally I would just rather carry outside my waist band. Also makes it a hell of a lot easier when walking my dog in my PJs to open carry, the local PD are pretty used to seeing my ass when walking around early in the morning or late at night.

Either way there's a time and a place, when that is and what BS your willing to put up with is all on you as an individual.

Meh IMO I dont think I would Open carry in most places even if I could. Occasionally maybe. But I would stick to the conceal carry, better everyone doesnt know what I have hehe.

I do wish though there wasnt such strick laws on "printing" as they call it. That is the only thing I worry about. I have never heard of somone close to me, or a story face to face. But I have read stories of people getting in trouble for conceal carry and some one freaked out because they caught a glimpse of what they thought was a gun.

Id hate it to happen to me, but I could see how it might if a shirt hangs just right. although the chances are probably pretty low. Guess im just paranoid! lol

Why would you put your dog in your PJs?????????

LOL! nice catch, I wear the PJs the dog goes in his normal attire.....the nude

Hell, the image of someone in PJs with a gunbelt on is funny enough. I demand photos! :lolol:

Well since it is a "fact," you will be able to show some kind of proof that this happens, right? Otherwise your usage of the word "fact" must be one previously unknown to me... synonymous in this case with "heavily biased opinion."

Likewise, please explain your knowledge of what the police are "happy" to do. I mean how do you know what all of these officers are thinking or for that matter what the call was dispatched as?

As to open carry itself, I could care less either way. When acting as an armed citizen I prefer the tactical advantage of folks not knowing I am armed. There are also far less issues of having to be protective of your firearm. I doubt that most folks here have any idea who to fight off someone that is trying to disarm you. You might want to keep that in mind before exercising your right.

Azrial makes a very important point - even where open carry is fully legal, you are still better served if you can carry concealed. There are many who are either mentally impaired, drugged out of their mind or just plain asshole enough to take your gun right off of your side. To open carry in an open holster (one that does not have secure release features) is just plain negligent!

The most dangerous weapon any Police Officer will ever face is the one he carries, as THAT is the one that is almost constantly the closest weapon in his vicinity. Gun control is more that hitting what you aim at, first you must CONTROL YOUR gun!

Azrial makes a very important point - even where open carry is fully legal, you are still better served if you can carry concealed. There are many who are either mentally impaired, drugged out of their mind or just plain asshole enough to take your gun right off of your side. To open carry in an open holster (one that does not have secure release features) is just plain negligent!

The most dangerous weapon any Police Officer will ever face is the one he carries, as THAT is the one that is almost constantly the closest weapon in his vicinity. Gun control is more that hitting what you aim at, first you must CONTROL YOUR gun!

Very well said GOB!

That is my biggest complaint with many of the OC'ers I see.

They have very little to no situational awareness and, judging from the way they do NOT cover their weapon in certain situations, about the same level of weapon retention training.

Very well said GOB!

They have very little to no situational awareness and, judging from the way they do NOT cover their weapon in certain situations, about the same level of weapon retention training.

I agree as well. I think one of the problems is that it's not exactly easy for the average citizen to know how to get that kind of proper training. Not that its not available. I have my three man Coast Guard security detail onboard tonight. I think I'll go down and see if I can get a few pointers. Not that it would make any differnce for me, I'm still not interested in open carrying but hey, I might accidently learn something.

Edited by DogMan

Very well said GOB!

I agree as well. I think one of the problems is that it's not exactly easy for the average citizen to know how to get that kind of proper training. Not that its not available. I have my three man Coast Guard security detail onboard tonight. I think I'll go down and see if I can get a few pointers. Not that it would make any differnce for me, I'm still not interested in open carrying but hey, I might accidently learn something.

I guess we'll make this a big +1 fucking love fest!

The average person thinks too much of themselves with regards to being invulnerable to assault.

I know more than one person that has NO fear of the presence of a firearm that they can see.

Some people actually have an unhealthy amount of testicular fortitude & will attack you out of nowhere & now you are responding to their attack. You are at a disadvantage.

Now you just gave a criminal who attacks people a gun. Good one. Next gos your wallet.

It's like the difference between the guy that hits someone & waits to see what effect it has, & the guy that quickly beats the guy into submission.

If you carry in the open, you are always a target to some & you would never know who until you're fighting or have their gun to your head with them pulling yours out of your waistband.

I am all for the RIGHT to do it, but I would rather the RIGHT to carry concealed.

Then everything is on MY terms.

The last thing I want is to be perceived as a threat.

Even if I am one.

And I would rather not make myself a target.

has anyone ever heard of a case where an open carrier has had their gun taken from them by a bad guy? i haven't, not saying that it has never or couldn't happen, but it's not something i'd personally be worried about....that is IF i was able open carry, which i'm not cause i live in smellinois :(

I open carried before I had my conceal carry permit. I live in Virginia so it's no big deal here either way. I'd much rather no one know I had it, they'll shoot you in your back to get your gun around here. My brother open carrys and I belive it's what lead to his house getting broken into while he wasn't home. All they took was his guns. They left his tv, PS3, and computer.

has anyone ever heard of a case where an open carrier has had their gun taken from them by a bad guy? i haven't, not saying that it has never or couldn't happen, but it's not something i'd personally be worried about....that is IF i was able open carry, which i'm not cause i live in smellinois :(

A few years ago some genius punk gangbanger waited outside the local courthouse (Henrico) for an officer to come outside. He attacked the officer with a baseball bat. Things didn't go the way he had planned. When I drove by, there was easily 40 cars in the lot lights blazing. That guy had a bad night I am sure.

....Look Azrial, I'm not going to play your little word games with you. Have fun with that all by yourself. Go ahead and dissect all my sentences for little traces of evil intent or whatever it is that you do. Suffice it to say that you and I don't agree on many things and I'm perfectly fine with that. If it really mattered to me I would try to play along but frankly I just don't care what you think about what I think, to put it quite bluntly.

There is no "word game" here at all. You hate the police and like to make up stuff to try and support your position. You know nothing about the police or police work, you just like to pretend you do.

If I claimed that I could read the mind of every truck driver or Indian Chief in the world people would think that I was crazy, and rightfully so.

I just think that it nice to point out every now and then how biased your little pretensions are. :D