ProMag 308 Mags..?? Anyone try or have one??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get off the cross, no one criminalized you or anything close to it. I merely pointed out that I personally don't put much stock in your opinion and stated why. After all there are posts here and els

Gunboy,   I suggest you re-read the thread or the cliff notes version found in post #49. I didn't "troll" anyone or anything. At this point further discussion of any of that will add nothing to t

Posted Images

Hmm interesting, got a time on them or a price?

Up until their drums came out I would not have thought much of them, but they seem to have done well with that.

I figure it will have a good effect on the market, you have people who are buying AR-10s for cheaper mags. If promag makes something functional for a cheap price it will draw people to the rifle.

My ProMag Ind. rep is sending me a sample for demo and review. Hopefully be in next week maybe. 027.gif

I have a few testers in mind to help out here on the boards for functionality and that 'lip' test thing..

They want to make sure they get it right and want feedback.

I'll be carrying them as well.

cssspecs.. Retail MAYBE... $33 or so. Not bad for 24 round mag in 308 as option.. 022.gif

Albert Zeller

http://www.AccessoryArms.com

Ok. Here is the first pics of it.

Overall height is 8 1/4"

post-8775-1271517329735_thumb.jpg

2nd Pic shows the feed ramp they incorporated.

post-8775-12715174388751_thumb.jpg

3rd Pic show with 2 rounds (1 dummy 308 and one 308)

post-8775-12715178173831_thumb.jpg

4th Pic shows with 308 round

post-8775-12715179263836_thumb.jpg

Next will be the range test.. 022.gif

Stay tuned..

I don't judge a company's new products by failures they have had in the past. If the newer products they are already selling well (IE the Drum I have for my S-12, and several other open minded people have also posted about good experiences with their Promag drums, which have all passed the function tests with flying colors BTW....) are higher quality and work well, it is solid proof that what the rep there told me is true...they have restructured the company and are now very serious about producing QUALITY mags that are still affordable, no matter what kind of shit products they may have made in the past. Bottom line for me is, if it works then I'll buy it. Simple. If it doesn't, I already have the SGM and FBMG mags that do. The SGM mags I have, have their issues but they work. You guys should consider yourselves lucky to have people here who are willing to spend their own money and / or time... and testing these new products, reporting on them, so you can see evidence on whether or not they are pure junk like some people are assuming without even giving them a chance. I just don't see any need for all the negative comments. Who care what has happened in the past, these are the NEW Promags. Just wait and see how they do before assuming right up front they are junk. Geez guys. They are even a new vendor here. Have a little respect for that at least.

I gotta agree here abit.

I personally run the 5.45x39 AK74 Promags and they function great thus far (with bullet-guide)..

I also have a 20 round AK47 (7.62x39) ProMag and its been running just fine for me also.

My rep from ProMag wants feedback they want to make sure they get these 308 mags done right.

It's apparent to me also they are striving to get this right..

And spending $45-50 from XYZ Co... seems insane IMHO. when you can get these for $30 or so.

I've had ProMags in the past (2001-2004) for my pistols, they either were GREAT or SUCK'ed.

How bout we help the manufacturers instead of slamming them. 027.gif They are trying to cater to us Saiga nuts.

Albert

I will wait for the Promag for my Saiga .308. I had a FBMG & it was excellent, but it was stolen with my Saiga. Fortunately, I got my Saiga back from the police, but the mag was gone. Unfortunately, while there are lots of good reports on the Surefires, there are some bad reports as well. The Cccspec's have great reports, but I really want a plastic mag, & I am willing to think positive about the Promag & wait for it. GARY N4KVE

Does anybody know if they plan on making a 10 rounder? I find it hard to justify paying $40 for a 10 round mag when 25 rounders are only less than $10 more. Us California (10 round magazine capacity limit) Saiga owners need some affordable options.

I'm guessing here totally out my butt..

Maybe once they get production and good feedback on this they will offer up a 10/20 round version..

I dunno.. Can you guys have pinned/blocked mags out in Cali??

I read somewhere you guys get 30 round AK mags pinned to 10 rounds all the time..

I'm guessing someone will be offering to PIN these once these get 'sorted' out... rolleyes.gif

Does anybody know if they plan on making a 10 rounder? I find it hard to justify paying $40 for a 10 round mag when 25 rounders are only less than $10 more. Us California (10 round magazine capacity limit) Saiga owners need some affordable options.

Ill shoot ProMag an email when I get a sec and suggest they mold into these 308 mags a lower capacity rib to cut these down to ten rounders.

Stanley Smith has communicated clearly to me in our interactions as of late that the testing and QC at ProMag have been completely rethought and beefed up substantially.

The same thing he told me back when he sent me the ten rd S-12 mag for feedback....I've been trying to get that message across to people here for about a year or so, with no luck so far....

And spending $45-50 from XYZ Co... seems insane IMHO. when you can get these for $30 or so.

Albert

Unless you really like well made, heavy duty, metal mags and enjoy supporting a small independent individual who very clearly pays close attention to detail and by most all reports is extremely responsive to customers and all types of feedback offered.

That said, I also have and use Surefire and FBMG synthetic mags.

I dont see comparisons like this (or many other product choices) as a zero-sum game ......ie., ONLY one or the other.

IMO there's no reason folks cant purchase and/or use several comparable products. :wub:

Cheers,

HarvKY

HarvKY,

If I had a choice I would go with CSS in a second... I was referring to Surefires that cost.. 012.gif

I prefer metal mags first then Poly mags second..

On the other note.. 10/15/20 rounders would be greatly appreciated.. I'm sure ProMag is reading this post..

Albert

Just a quick note that I'm testing one of these mags and so far it kicks ass! Hold 25 rds and they each went bang on the first go round. It looks and performs as good as any other .308 Saiga mag I have. So far I have three FBMGs, some factory 8 - 10 rdrs, a Surefire, or SGM mag, and this brand new Promag. So far, so good. I think they have a winner with this one! I only noticed one issue so far, and that's where the bolt will catch on the follower if cycled on an empty mag. After doing this a few times and being pushed on through, it eventually shaves off a little of the follower and doesn't catch any more. I think if Promag cuts the profile of the follower a little more like a ramp at the rear, this won't be an issue at all. It didn't effect live fire function at all. The last round did not leave the bolt hung open either. It didn't catch on it til I tried to open and close the bolt slowly on an empty mag.

:super:

Pics and video soon to come with a full writeup on my first experience trying it out. I can already tell this is going to be a great mag at a great price.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took the plunge, they have these listed at midwayusa.com for $28 a pop, not sure if anybody knew they were available to the public yet. I ordered two and if they are here by Wens or Thurs I will give a full torture test on them including running them over after running a few hundred rounds of brown bear through them. I'll do a writeup on them and will hopefully have some fun pictures and videos.

On a side note, I don't care if they feed as well as Sally Struthers, I'll still rely on my csspecs steel mags as my first line of defense. It is nice however, to have as many mags as possible, you never know when they will stop producing S308 mags all together, it will happen eventually... These two will bring me up to 430 rounds of .308 loaded up in magazines, 429 for the zombies and 1 so they can't have my brains :)

• Like 1

... Can you guys have pinned/blocked mags out in Cali??

I read somewhere you guys get 30 round AK mags pinned to 10 rounds all the time..

I'm guessing someone will be offering to PIN these once these get 'sorted' out... rolleyes.gif

We can get them as mag kits and have them blocked at 10rnds either with a modded floor plate/ follower or a pin on the mag body.

I will say this about Pro-mag quality, if they are as good as the Saiga .223 mags that I have from them, these .308 mags will be good to go.

Edited by FrustratedInCali