Belive I am FINALLY done!

A BIG thank you to all of the help and people posting on this website! I believe I have finally finished my conversion. Imarangemaster, your Saiga really inspired me the most I think (or the 7.62 you had)! It is funny how I have gone full circle, back to pretty much the original. Although my AK/Saiga might not be truly authentic, I am very happy with it. Been a lot of work (although nothing that was too difficult) and I have enjoyed it immensely! Stripping all of the magazines now is a real PITA, but will be done soon. The only thing I can think of is a red dot and that is it! Might dress her up with plum furniture (have black standing by), but that is all. I will say the two hardest parts was the FSB (what a bitch) and the damn spring in the mag release. SOB kicks my ass every time. I will continue to shine on the BCG, but that is a little bit every week. I do like the Alumihyde II paint quite a lot. The OD stuff really sticks well, but the coyote does come off a lot easier. It is bone dry right now, have to wait a few days for the AHII to fully cure, then lube her. BTW, Rit dye is awesome. Used it on my OD bulgarian Poly mag, and came out great (on the K-Var OD furniture as well). Next project will be either the Saiga 308 or the Cetme. Yes, I know, but damn that is one sexy rifle with the wood on it!

post-20243-12728870063426_thumb.jpg

post-20243-12728871281358_thumb.jpg

post-20243-12728871529252_thumb.jpg

post-20243-12728872091019_thumb.jpg

post-20243-12728872550968_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjgusmc21

Hey could you tell us how you did the FSB? How did you set up a vise to hold the barrel? What type of hammer/mallet/block did you use? Or did you press it? Any feedback on how you aligned the front sight?

Very technical indeed... :lolol: BFH. I used my dremel with the new cutting wheel, cut both sides length ways (across the dimples), pried it off. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE BARREL. I went a little into it, but had my Gun Smith buddy check it and he said it was perfectly safe. Then I used my metric measuring device (aka: Eyeballs) and placed the FSB on, then beat the living shit out of it. Not quite that bad, but sure my neighbors didn't appreciate it. To ensure that I didn't damage the bottom, I placed it on one of my thick flip flops, which btw is full of holes now, and ensure there was plenty of oil on it. I WISH it would have gone on easily, but there is no freak'n way this thing is coming off, unless I cut it off. I filled the holes with silver solder. As for a vice, my two legs. That simple. Now, it this very professional? Hell no, but it worked for me. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Edited by sjgusmc21

Hey could you tell us how you did the FSB? How did you set up a vise to hold the barrel? What type of hammer/mallet/block did you use? Or did you press it? Any feedback on how you aligned the front sight?

Very technical indeed... :lolol: BFH. I used my dremel with the new cutting wheel, cut both sides length ways (across the dimples), pried it off. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE BARREL. I went a little into it, but had my Gun Smith buddy check it and he said it was perfectly safe. Then I used my metric measuring device (aka: Eyeballs) and placed the FSB on, then beat the living shit out of it. Not quite that bad, but sure my neighbors didn't appreciate it. To ensure that I didn't damage the bottom, I placed it on one of my thick flip flops, which btw is full of holes now, and ensure there was plenty of oil on it. I WISH it would have gone on easily, but there is no freak'n way this thing is coming off, unless I cut it off. I filled the holes with silver solder. As for a vice, my two legs. That simple. Now, it this very professional? Hell no, but it worked for me. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

You rock.

:super::super::super:

Looks like a great gun!

Post some pics of the groups your getting with it!

I most certainly will. Will be at least one more month before I get to shoot her. Had it zeroed last time, but that went out the door with the FSB change. Also looking forward to zeroing the scope as well. Hope I can get use to the 'cant' on it.

Thanks for the compliments! I have changed it so many times, I truly believe I am done now. My B-Day is in June, so going to ask Higher Headquarters (aka: Wife) for my next project. I would love to get another 7.62x39, but just don't see the point of having two of the same caliber. OK, there is a point, but I am trying real hard to talk myself out of it! I believe I will go for the Saiga 308 and get a little more 'risky' with it. But that damn Cetme is calling to me so bad...just really like the looks of it in wood. The 21" Saiga is what I am looking at (depends what is on sale at that point)...will cut the barrel done to 18" (that's what I mean by risky). Still not ruling out a PSL though....just plain 'evil' looking! Again, thanks for your guidance and help.