Ace folder vs. AK100 folder....

I have a SLR-107UR and I really like the folding stock and mechanism it has. I have scoured the net and I just can't seem to find a decent Russian unit for less than $300 plus shipping. People almost want that much for non-Russian units. I'm torn between getting one, waiting for a deal, or buying something else.

I am considering an Ace stock and the Ace folding mechanism. The major advantage of me using the Ace stock is that I will save a substantial amount of money. Do the Ace units lock up solid or are they prone to folding/unlocking under rapid fire when used on a S12?

All of my Ace folders are solid as a rock. I don't care for the push button hinges I have seen and tried though. They feel loose and wobbly. The regular non push button Ace hinge is very sturdy though. They can even be a little too tight when new.

The Ace folders are great! If you like a RH folder, the AGP unit that Max sells in the e-store is also an excellent stock. The only thing it lacks is having the choice between right or left.

If you do go for the Ace, I recommend spending the extra money for the push-button mechanism. If the occasion ever comes where you need to deploy it in a hurry, you won't want to have to deal with fine motor skills necessary to open and close the non push button folder.

JMHO

The Ace folders are great! If you like a RH folder, the AGP unit that Max sells in the e-store is also an excellent stock. The only thing it lacks is having the choice between right or left.

If you do go for the Ace, I recommend spending the extra money for the push-button mechanism. If the occasion ever comes where you need to deploy it in a hurry, you won't want to have to deal with fine motor skills necessary to open and close the non push button folder.

JMHO

Doesn't the non-push button version just unfold and lock up with no problem? I thought you only had to push down and mess with it when you fold it to the side? (I've got one coming from another forum member, so was just curious.)

Edited by KC913

JMHO

Doesn't the non-push button version just unfold and lock up with no problem? I thought you only had to push down and mess with it when you fold it to the side? (I've got one coming from another forum member, so was just curious.)

Yes and no. The Ace non pushbutton folding mechanism can be a pain when mounted to fold to the left. Its not as problematic to fold right. The push button folder works equally well in either direction and requires almost no fine motor skills beyond being able to push a button.

Speaking for myself, in a situation where I need an S12 in a real hurry, I'm probably already in the tunnel, and the fine motor skills are pretty much out the window.

JMHO

If you don't unlock then unfold it will begin to chew up the taper on the folded lockup side. This will show.

AK100 will deploy with push of a button :super:

I'd take the AK100 folder over any other folder

A little harder to install but last a lifetime!!...

A little harder to install?! lol :D

They're not even comparable when it comes to ease of installation. I went with the Ace cause I don't really want to machine any more extra holes in my receiver and the Ace unit is already more solid and reliable than it needs to be.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

While we are on the subject of folding mechanisms, I went to MAA's site and they have 2 fold mechs in stock. They have the exact same picture representing them. One is and ACE and the other doesn't say. There is a price difference, of course the unknown one is cheaper than the ACE unit. Does anyone have any experience with the unknown mechanism from MAA? They are non-pushbutton mechanisms.

I was offered what seems to be a Russian 5.5mm triangle folder with all of the hardware and trunnion for $375. I don't mind doing the work to install it, but I'm just not sure I want it $375 worth. I do love the way they look though :wub: I have to make a decision soon. Lately, I'm thinking about stocks all day at work and when I'm trying to go to sleep....

While we are on the subject of folding mechanisms, I went to MAA's site and they have 2 fold mechs in stock. They have the exact same picture representing them. One is and ACE and the other doesn't say. There is a price difference, of course the unknown one is cheaper than the ACE unit. Does anyone have any experience with the unknown mechanism from MAA? They are non-pushbutton mechanisms.

I was offered what seems to be a Russian 5.5mm triangle folder with all of the hardware and trunnion for $375. I don't mind doing the work to install it, but I'm just not sure I want it $375 worth. I do love the way they look though :wub: I have to make a decision soon. Lately, I'm thinking about stocks all day at work and when I'm trying to go to sleep....

That's way too much, IMO. You can find them for around $200, if you look in the right places.

I suppose if you were cheap and bored you could get one of these $25 Chinese airsoft receiver/stock combos . The cut the latch off and bolt or weld the stock onto an Ace folder adapter. The chinese airsoft parts are the same gauge steel as the real AK parts and if attached to a ace folder block would not require any receiver mods. I have one of the airsoft guns those fit and the only real difference between that stock and a real stock is the latch which would get cut off for that sort of conversion anyway. Might have to try it some day.

aks74u-metal-body-with-stock-dboy-258-p.jpg

DPH Arms also has a folding mech. that looks and works just like the Ace. You probably saw that one.

I also have my Ace setup to fold left and with a little work, it can be tuned to where it's a lot easier to open up once folded. You just need to touch it up a little afterward if you are worried about how it looks. Just don't go too far though or you will make it where it won't stay folded (pretty much the same thing saigatech was saying will happen if you don't unlock it before opening up) . Though it can still be tuned further if this happens , and made to where it will go back to staying folded. It just takes a little work with a file.

Once you get the hang of the locking and unlocking action, it becomes an automatic reflex pretty much...it did for me at least. I would much rather deal with that than the rattle of the pushbutton hinges I've seen.

That's way too much, IMO. You can find them for around $200, if you look in the right places.

If I could find 5.5mm units for 200 I'd buy half a dozen right now

Most are 4.5mm and are available now

The Russian side folder trunnion is not that hard of an Install.

P1050219.jpg

P1050221.jpg

Take your time, It only takes an evening or 2 and can be completed with basic handtools and a drill press.

P1050219.jpg

P1050221.jpg

Take your time, It only takes an evening or 2 and can be completed with basic handtools and a drill press.

It all boils down to how bad you want it.

I think it's worth it and it makes your build more unique. :smoke:

post-8026-12749908588622_thumb.jpg

P1050219.jpg

P1050221.jpg

It all boils down to how bad you want it.

I think it's worth it and it makes your build more unique. :smoke:

post-8026-12749908588622_thumb.jpg

ST,

Looks gorgeous.

sKott and saigatechusa, those S-12's are absolutely beautiful. :up:

If I had a few more significant tools at my disposal, I'd consider taking on the project.

Thanks post-apocalyptic

I believe sKott was one of the fore runners in advanced work on saiga's. It does look Great!!

You are right in that a better equiped shop usually allows for more complicated projects and I feel I am Blessed to have the oportunity.

Edited by saigatechusa

I have a SLR-107UR and I really like the folding stock and mechanism it has. I have scoured the net and I just can't seem to find a decent Russian unit for less than $300 plus shipping. People almost want that much for non-Russian units. I'm torn between getting one, waiting for a deal, or buying something else.

I am considering an Ace stock and the Ace folding mechanism. The major advantage of me using the Ace stock is that I will save a substantial amount of money. Do the Ace units lock up solid or are they prone to folding/unlocking under rapid fire when used on a S12?

evl, I would get the AK100 instead of the Ace because you WANT the AK100. If you do not buy the one you really want up front then you will end up with BOTH at the end. I have learned this the hard(expensive) way too many times.

If you go ace, get the 1 inch recoil pad if you want a more comfortable ride on long shooting days......

But after seeing those pics, that folding stock is really cool, would love to try something like that on the next build.

Well.... I bought one triangle folder and attempted to buy another one, but just realized I screwed up the address on the envelope and the MO. Hopefully it will make it back to me and I can 'correctly' pay for the stock. This has got to be the dumbest thing I've done in a long time. Shit happens and as many MOs as I send out, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. :ded:

Well.... I bought one triangle folder and attempted to buy another one, but just realized I screwed up the address on the envelope and the MO. Hopefully it will make it back to me and I can 'correctly' pay for the stock. This has got to be the dumbest thing I've done in a long time. Shit happens and as many MOs as I send out, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. :ded:

nope...my fuck up... :wacko:

nope...my fuck up... :wacko:

Well.... we can share responsibility. I did screw up the apt #. I hate that it happened, but it's still kinda funny how we both screwed something up :beer: