Suppressors

Can anybody explain to me how it possible to have a suppressor on a shotgun and not have it explode in your face?

I mean suppressors have a line of baffles right? so how is it possible that all the pellets and the plastic wad make it out 100% of the time without ever touching them? I mean I can kind of expect a slug to make it, but the expanding wad would surely get caught up right? Ive seen the vids and it looks, and sounds, awesome but logically, it would seem that shotguns have too much stuff coming out to make it smooth and clean though a gauntlet of baffles.

EDIT: yeah I misspelled "suppressors" but editor won't let me fix it.

Edited by AtlSaiga

(you have to use the full editor to fix your topic title)

There are a couple ways of achieving this.

You are welcome to buy one of our modular supressors for the saiga12 and check out how Tom has accomplished it :)

Will at Red Jacket gets his suppression by another type than we use.....not really my place to talk about his product, though. Maybe he can chime in if he has the time....

A suppressor does not necessarilly have to use baffles. Look at the first stage of a SIONICS suppressor.

The Brits have good shotgun suppressors and are quite popular due to weird laws.

Silencer is easier to spell.

They don't actually silence the discharge of a firearm rather suppress it if you haven't been around them. Silence=NO SOUND. Suppress=Decrease Sound.

Silencer . Thats what the ATF calls them. Thats what the Inventor called them. Thats the common vernacular. Look up the dictionary definition of "silencer. We speak English. "Silencer" is a noun. Nouns in English do not have to describe the function of the device. Personally I am going to default to the name Hiram Maxim gave them in his 1909 patent and not some word that a know it all writer for soldier of fortune made up in the 70's .

Here is one of my silencers. I own 9.

gun5i.jpg

Edited by wired

Its basically a heavily ported barrel with a suppressor built around it instead of a long stack of baffles. The shot cup does not open until it leaves the can.:ph34r:

Are you talking about mine ? Not quite , but close . Tech spec's that I'm comfortable sharing are on my website , as are videos . No blown off faces yet , no expectation of any . Will

Suppressors aren't expensive; you can get one for a couple hundred bucks (plus the stamp).

They're hard to make because silencer parts are regulated by the NFA. You can't farm out the parts to a machine shop, you have to be an NFA manufacturer and make them in-house.

Also, it's a boutique item, you won't sell thousands of them a month.

You can definetely shoot a properly silenced weapon without hearing protection, nor fear of hearing loss.

Yeah the cost each year to keep your status as an NFA manufacturer is not cheap either, which makes the price of the suppressors go up if they are from smaller shops. I would doubt that even 10% of dealers are qualified to sell your product (SOT dealer) once it is made so your market is very small and isn't going to make you instantly rich even if you have the best design that is the quietest, lightest, slickest and cheapest. It is going to cost a lot in marketing to make people realize that your product is all of those things because of all the bullshit that other manufacturers and dealers are spewing.

There are much easier products to bring to market if you are solely profit driven.

I keep kicking myself in the ass for deleting that email i got from the atf... It used both silencer and suppressor interchangeably and weapons are just like women... they will never EVER be silent... but at least weapons can get pretty close=3

P.S. THANK GOD FOR SPELL CHECK I screwed the pooch on the spelling then spell check swooped in and rescued me...

Also anyone know of a decent .223 silencer>.>? that wont cost me more than my rifle?

Edited by vampire

I keep kicking myself in the ass for deleting that email i got from the atf... It used both silencer and suppressor interchangeably and weapons are just like women... they will never EVER be silent... but at least weapons can get pretty close=3

P.S. THANK GOD FOR SPELL CHECK I screwed the pooch on the spelling then spell check swooped in and rescued me...

Also anyone know of a decent .223 silencer>.>? that wont cost me more than my rifle?

Check out NFA Talk or Silencer Research websites. They do independent tests on both of these sites (i.e. AAC doesn't own them and pretend the threads and posts are unbiased towards their products).