41 members have voted

1. 1. Which rifle should I buy next?

• Saiga 7.62x39 (K-Var Conversion or convert my own?)
    • Finnish M39 (1942 Sako, unissued, with like new barrel)
    • Ruger Mini 30
    • SKS (Yeah,but which Make?)
    • German K98 Mauser
    • Swiss K31
    • Saiga 12 (parts gun) (Yes, I know its not a rifle.)

Thread/poll titles says it all.

I've the following:

AR-15

Mini14

Marlin M30

Saiga .308-ver.21

Also, I've another MN 91/30 on the way.

What next?

Edited by ChileRelleno

Get an S-12 and convert it yourself. It will be take a while but you will know exactly how and why things need to be the way they need to be for proper operation. There are many people here in the forum who can afford to get a Tromix and that is fine and dandy. But for those of us who fancy themselves craftsmen or simply can't afford the luxury of a professionally converted piece, we do our own. There are many tutorials and pre engineered parts to aid you in this.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

nyclu3

Get an S-12 and convert it yourself. It will be take a while but you will know exactly how and why things need to be the way they need to be for proper operation. There are many people here in the forum who can afford to get a Tromix and that is fine and dandy. But for those of us who fancy themselves craftsmen or simply can't afford the luxury of a professionally converted piece, we do our own. There are many tutorials and pre engineered parts to aid you in this.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

nyclu3

Thanks, but...

Reading comprehension FTW.

S12, would be a 'parts gun', i.e. I already have a S12... And yes, I converted it myself.

100_7890.jpg

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

nyclu3

Thanks, but...

Reading comprehension FTW.

S12, would be a 'parts gun', i.e. I already have a S12... And yes, I converted it myself.

100_7890.jpg

Ah, sorry to be redundant ChileR. Maybe you might try a nice Piston AR in 6.5 Grendel???

nyclu3

• Like 1

It's not on your list, but as much as I stray from anything Century, I'm picking up a C93 (HK93 clone) this Friday. The local shop that sells mostly Mil based guns has one and it checks out fine, all reviews I can find posted are good, and they're priced at $499 from Centerfire right now. Even though they carry the Century name, they're being built by a subcontractor (who's name escapes me right now) and all looks good. The comment from the owner at C&S Mettal Werks was they run, and from what I can see they look to have been built properly from good base kits. At $500 for a .223 HK it leaves a lot of room to customize, or bob the barrel down to HK53 configuration. Just more food for thought.

I was heavily tempted to vote M39, but it seems like with the Saiga 308 and 91/30 that you've got the heavy hitter category covered. But a really nice condition Finn might be too difficult to pass up. I voted Saiga x39, Arsenal-converted, because I think a medium caliber AK is a necessity.

Ah heck - just sell the Marlin or Mini 14 and get the M39 too...

• Like 1

I was heavily tempted to vote M39, but it seems like with the Saiga 308 and 91/30 that you've got the heavy hitter category covered. But a really nice condition Finn might be too difficult to pass up. I voted Saiga x39, Arsenal-converted, because I think a medium caliber AK is a necessity.

I'm leaning towards a nice Finn M39 too, I didn't get a C&R for shitz-n-gigglz.

If I get the M39, then a SVT-40 will be on the list next.

The Mini 14 could possibly go, if I was to acquire a Mini 30 or Saiga 7.62x39.

But the Marlin M30 stays :wub: I've had it forever and within 75yards it is a tack driver if fed, CCI's Standard Velocity 40 grn LRN or Federal's T-22 40 grn Standard Velocity LRN.

Edited by ChileRelleno

+1 Jim. The m39 is more rare. Still I voted for the 7.62x39 saiga because upcoming October sales will warrant immediate attention for potential buyers. :smoke:

I voed for SKS. Because if you dont already have one it would be great to snatch one up while they are still around. they are already going up in price every year. might as well get one while they are at least still afordable. :cryss:

I have a chinese and it is a great gun. Fun to shoot. And a potential collectable.

But as Bigsal said. The possible Kvar sale is likely one you dont want to pass up either.:super:

Chile,

Well, since you don't have a .50bmg on your list, I voted for the K98 (K31 a close second). I think that everyone should have an AK at some point, but there is just something about the history associated with the old and true main battle rifles from around the world that I love. I nice K98 either surplus or restored from Mitchell's Mausers would be a great addition to any collection, especially since you already have a C&R. Maybe even an old M1 Garand or Enfield would also fit the bill. I own plenty of newer style weapons, but nothing beats the old historical rifles for pure fun factor, IMHO.

Either way, buy something that will make you happy and be fun to own/shoot in the future. :super:

I voted for the K31. I got two, had 3... sold one to a buddy cause I owed him some loot... he wanted one for a long time anyways... it worked out well for us both... :up:

mine will hold inch.5 groups at 75 with the iron sights.

LOVE the straight pull bolt action.

Shop around. DO NOT buy the first one ya see... get one with good metal and nice wood. The walnut ones are REALLY nice!! ( thats what all 3 I had were. )

For not too much money you can still find one in 95%+ and decent wood to boot.

Yeah, the ammo is pricey... with the white box G-11... we are talking MATCH GRADE from the get go!!

It is VERY accurate stuff!!! You can also buy brass and reload for it too, to make an EXCELLENTLY accurate hunting rifle, easily on par with the .308 and X54R, and '06...

How can ya go wrong?!?!?!?

:smoke:

Depends on what you want to spend. A sks is cheap good fun.

For rifles, I own a:

SKS (Chinese, unmodded)

FNAR (FN Herstal, added scope and laser)

M1A (Springfield Armory, unmodded)

HK91, HK93 (H&K, unmodded)

AR15 (Colt, LEO model, unmodded)

I also have a Benelli M4, which is a good contrast to the Saiga 12 I have.

The FN is more accurate than the M1A and HKs, which are more accurate than the AR,

which is more accurate than the SKS. For sheer stupid fun, I like the HKs and the M1A.

I'd consider an M1A for your next purchase. It's like all the best parts of a garand, with

a modern cartridge and a good mag system (rock and lock paddle, like a Saiga). I got mine

with synthetic stock and normal sights, as I could acquire them faster than the match ones.

The sights are old school Army Garand sights, with adjustable windage, and elevation zero.

Zero it at 100 yards, set the dial at 100, then crank up to 200 and more as needed. I do

not intend to put a scope on mine, it sort of ruins the character of the rifle, and the peep

sights are old-eyes friendly (my dad can shoot it at 65....no offense meant to men here of those years)

so I know that as my less than perfect eyesight degrades, I can still enjoy the sights.

Sorry to ramble.

:big_smile:Today I purchased a Saiga 16" x39 from MAA.

Great service and price, $329+25S/H, not my first transaction with MAA, always a satisfied customer.

I'm excited at the prospect of a new toy and eagerly look forward to converting it... Thanks for y'alls input, there was a reason the x39 was at the top of the list.

Thread/poll titles says it all.

I've the following:

AR-15

Mini14

Marlin M30

Saiga .308-ver.21

Also, I've another MN 91/30 on the way.

What next?

Saiga 7.62x39 and CONVERT THINE OWN!

The Saiga 7.62,5.45 and 223 rifles are actually the latest Izhmash AK-100 series rifles. They are the ULTIMATE Kalashnikov rifles cosmetically neutered to meet US import criteria. They have excellent accuracy and reliability and longevity that will outlast a pile of Mini-14s or AR15s.

The worst accuracy I have experienced from a Saiga rifle is 3MOA and that was with 7.62x39 which seems to be mostly ammo related and the 308 and 223 models both shoot around 2MOA. This is more than adequate to be competitive with the rifles you mentioned and as an added bonus you get reliability than cannot be beaten.

The best of the best new wonder weapons(SCAR,ACR,G36,XM8,HK416,etc) all look up to the Kalashnikov as their benchmark but you can build your own RUSSIAN super Kalashnikov from a Saiga rifle for $700!

I own weapons that cost 4x as much as my 7.62x39 Saigas but this is what I would reach for if my life were in peril.

gallery_101_548_182721.jpg

As an added bonus, high quality, highly reliable, surplus steel magazines can be purchased for as little as $8-$10ea!

Kalashnikov, so simple a child can use it...

tamba-ak47.jpg

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Saiga 7.62x39 and CONVERT THINE OWN!

Welcome back Mano! :up:

LOL, SopMod, your two weeks too late and a dollar short :haha:

And you're preaching to choir, this ain't my first encounter with a Saiga.

100_9099.jpg

100_9086.jpg

DO yourself a favor and pick yourself up one of these.

FN FAL

M1A

Well, you'rre late to the party too.

And neither of those are on my list this purchase.

However, a M1 Garand from CMP, is going to be my next purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

That is :f0ckers: sexy as all hell... I wonder if its an original barrel... MN 91/30... Finnish M39 or other variant... Yeah I know it says MN, but ya know how shit goes.

A lot of the ordinary Finnish M39s are 2MOA or better, and they are on my short list of rifles to acquire.

Next though... CMP M1 Garand, and being that the Anniston, AL CMP store is only a 5-6hr drive, it'll be hand picked ;)

That is :f0ckers: sexy as all hell... I wonder if its an original barrel... MN 91/30... Finnish M39 or other variant... Yeah I know it says MN, but ya know how shit goes.

A lot of the ordinary Finnish M39s are 2MOA or better, and they are on my short list of rifles to acquire.

If you want to find their site, just google Richards Tacdriver Thumbhole & it's the second search result down.

The guy makes them for your MN & the Mauser that you want too.

Actually, Richards Microfit Gunstocks makes them for nearly every bolt action out there.

I think while cash is low, I'm going to do that to my Enfield mystery gun (mix of P-14 & P17, custom barrel .30-06), because It's already sporterized & a great shooter...

2s5.jpg

I figure while I'm lower on funds, that would be a cool, cheap, fun build to bring my main hunting rifle into the 21st century & it's already sporterized, so people can't give me shit about doing it...

I mean, at less than $200.00, with all the amazing color combos they have, I can't lose in my book.

Dude has some wild colors;

BlackWidow.jpgRoyal%20Camo%20Tac-Driver5inch.jpgTigerwood_Wildcat_Style_LH_Side_10inch72dpi_small3.JPGElectric_Blue_Straight_Line_small4.JPGYellowBlackLaminate.jpgSilhouetteRHSide8inch.jpg

The barrel on that particular gun is NOT factory & the action is an M39 Fin.

You can read about that build here;

finished-1-1-1-1.jpg