Cheaper than Dirt vs. Sportsman Guide

Hello guru's,

I want to order some 223/5.56 ammo both have ok prices...whats the delio with these places any experiences buying ammo...also i am trying to make it out to the pumpkin shoot...I need some ammo for then, anyone brining extra for sale maybe?...223/5.56 that is.

I buy ammo online all the time. I have a membership at sportsmansguide.com so I get the club price and that helps.

I have bought from cheaperthandirt.com but nor for a while. The prices just aren't as good.

Some others that are good is Ableammo.com I just bought 500 rounds of .22mag from them. And a bunch of .410 last year.

And ammunitiontogo.com they have good prices and a great selection.

Cabellas.com, Bassproshop.com, and Gandermountain run specials sometimes, but they are still usually higher.

On any given day, I check all of those sites and order from the best prices that day. It changes frequently. Hope that helps.

I believe the original Cheaper Than Dirt outfit was purchased by a French company. Also I believe folks were complaining at one time about the shipping charges being kind of high. Might compare with Dan's, Ammoman.

Good luck to you,

Yakdung

Hello

Cheaper Than Dirt was pretty quick to nearly double their prices on ammo they thought was going to be "scarce" during the dry times of the last couple years.

Not like they waited for it to actually "get" scarce....

Some folks sort of remember things like that.

Just sayin'.....

-guido

• Like 2

Hello

Cheaper Than Dirt was pretty quick to nearly double their prices on ammo they thought was going to be "scarce" during the dry times of the last couple years.

Not like they waited for it to actually "get" scarce....

Some folks sort of remember things like that.

Just sayin'.....

-guido

+1 I'm still holding a grudge--and yes, I know it's just capitalism and business. Maybe some day I'll forgive and forget. But for now, there are plenty of other places I can spend my money, so I'll go to them.

• Like 2

CTD is one of the companies I won't buy from. They were one of the prime price gouger/fear mongers.

+1 I'm still holding a grudge--and yes, I know it's just capitalism and business.

Well it is also capitalism and just business not to patronize a company that doesn't treat its customers right. It is just unfortunate that more people are unwilling to fore go doing business with such companies.

Edited by Zambidis
  • Like 1

Have ordered ammo and many other things from sportsman's guide. I have almost nothing bad to say about them The one thing that pissed me off was about 3 years ago i found a great deal on some ammo, placed the order, and they notified me it was sold out and cancelled the order. It was not sold out, but they had it miss-priced online, and would not honor the order at the lower price. From a business perspective....i get it, but it was their error, in my opinion they should have honored that price listed it at. That said, i have continued to give them my business, because they typically have good prices and good customer service.

Cheaper than dirt got crossed off my list around the 2008 election when they jacked the prices of ammo so high i literally laughed. I recall 50 rnd boxes of wolf 9mm being listed at something like $24.99 each...before shipping. BITE ME Cheaper than Dirt!

What about Wally World and avoid the shipping? I bought 4 boxes of the Tula .223 and if was 5 and change per box. I think everyone was sticking it to us with the Obama scare. I

No wal-marts carry it round here for any decent price...lol

• 2 weeks later...
Somone told me that if you call SG with a lower price as they advertise they will beat it.

SG does price match and I use that feature all the time. My usual MO is to use gun-deals to see who has the lowest price for the exact same ammo that SG sells. I then use SG plentiful $10 off or free shipping coupons and order. All that is left to do is send their customer service department a nice email requesting a price match. A good example of this is 5.45x39. AIM sell 2 tins for $239 + $28 shipping for a total of $268. SG will price match the $239 plus shipping will only $7.49 w/ $10 off coupon PLUS spread the payment over 3 months.