eotech clone/replica question

Okay so i got my saiga bout finished up.. put a chaos quadrail on it last week.. now on to optics. Im a fan of eotech for short-distances.. however im not gonna pay 300$ plus for one. I see all these clones and was wondering about how well they work for saiga use? Im looking at a 552 replica.. were these things designed just for airsoft or for real gun use?? Im sure there not made as well as the eotech brands.. i mean hey you get what you pay for.. lol.. anybody familiar with these??

Thanks

Mike

Spooky... :unsure:

I was just going to make a similar topic. My past research has led me to consider a Bushnell Holosight, as they are not apparently knockoffs, just less durable eotechs (made on the same machines apparently).

I am quite interested to hear the results of this thread, but it will probably come down to a "you get what you pay for" although I do hope there is an acceptable alternative. Otherwise I will probably keep looking for a red dot that has a excellent warranty (2 years on something that I pay that much for seems a bit low)

I bought a "nice" Eotech clone for $90. It was a total piece of junk. The elevation adjustment was terrible, the windage adjustment didn't work, and when I tightened up all of the screws that held it together (it was ready to fall apart when I received it) the unit was twisted so much it wouldn't even mount on my gun. I sent it right back and bought a Bushnell Trophy 1x28 red dot with my refund. You can try your luck, but it was not at all woth the trouble for me.

Also, they're not HOLOGRAPHIC.

The "clones" are just reflex/red-dots that have the same shape as EOTech's.

The Bushnell and the EOTech have a hologram that's illuminated by a laser diode, and the crosshairs act and focus like they're floating 100 yards out in space, and not like a reflection right on the glass.

If you're in the market for inexpensive optics, I'd look at Vortex or Primary Arms. It's still China-mart stuff, but they do ride their suppliers as hard as they can from across the ocean on QC, and they back their products with good customer service if they actually do fail.

Edited by AJ Dual

I recently got Vortex StrikeFire for my Saiga - I got IZ-108 with "leaf" sights and these suck big time for anything 50+ yards... quality of StrikeFire is very very good... just order one with red only dot (as red-green led is relatively dim - red only is way brighter)...

P.S. Customer service is amazing and lifetime warranty is good addition to the package...

Edited by shalamov

I recently got Vortex StrikeFire for my Saiga - I got IZ-108 with "leaf" sights and these suck big time for anything 50+ yards... quality of StrikeFire is very very good... just order one with red only dot (as red-green led is relatively dim - red only is way brighter)...

P.S. Customer service is amazing and lifetime warranty is good addition to the package...

As I am still deciding on an optice I have been looking at a vortex sparc, how does your strikefire hold up to the 12 gauge's recoil?

Got a 15 year old Bushnell, short battery version. Thousands of rounds from 12 guage, x 39, x 51. still goes strong. Same version camo'd up is at local gun shop everyday for around $200. Hunters put on their turkey shotguns. In early 90's eotech and bushnell were interchangeable quality wise. Today? :smoke: P.S. Sweet part about this one was that it would zero identical on Tromix 12 with bn02 mount, then straight switch to DSA tactical reciever. :super:

I was just going to make a similar topic. My past research has led me to consider a Bushnell Holosight, as they are not apparently knockoffs, just less durable eotechs (made on the same machines apparently).

I am quite interested to hear the results of this thread, but it will probably come down to a "you get what you pay for" although I do hope there is an acceptable alternative. Otherwise I will probably keep looking for a red dot that has a excellent warranty (2 years on something that I pay that much for seems a bit low)

Yeah, the Bushnell Holosights aren't technically knock-offs. Just less rugged versions of real Eotechs, like you said.

I know they don't have the protective hood that the Eotech does, and I've heard they don't have the substance in the wiring to make it shock resistant. Other than that, they are the exact same.

Even though they're Aimpoint clones......if you research Primary Arms like AJ recommended, you'll find that they're well liked and seem to hold up pretty damn good. I know we have quite a few members here who have them.

Yeah, the Bushnell Holosights aren't technically knock-offs. Just less rugged versions of real Eotechs, like you said.

I know they don't have the protective hood that the Eotech does, and I've heard they don't have the substance in the wiring to make it shock resistant. Other than that, they are the exact same.

Even though they're Aimpoint clones......if you research Primary Arms like AJ recommended, you'll find that they're well liked and seem to hold up pretty damn good. I know we have quite a few members here who have them.

Yeah, I've heard that myself, they usually have a hard time keeping stock because they sell so much. I was going to buy one of their micros for my MP15-22 but they were sold out...

I wouldn't call them a clone either. clones are the ones that copy down to the name. these guys just call them 'M3 style' but don't claim it to be a copy.

I'm not sure if they can take shotgun abuse, but perhaps good for a .22-5.56 and maybe .308 but not a 12 gauge

As I am still deciding on an optice I have been looking at a vortex sparc, how does your strikefire hold up to the 12 gauge's recoil?

- holds fine... Vortex says that they tested these with pretty high recoil rifles... anyway I don't see any problem even with tenth of magnum shots thar ruined my sholders the sight was still on zero... I bet the weak link here will be the mount not the sight itself...

Yeah, I've heard that myself, they usually have a hard time keeping stock because they sell so much. I was going to buy one of their micros for my MP15-22 but they were sold out...

I wouldn't call them a clone either. clones are the ones that copy down to the name. these guys just call them 'M3 style' but don't claim it to be a copy.

I'm not sure if they can take shotgun abuse, but perhaps good for a .22-5.56 and maybe .308 but not a 12 gauge

A hard-landing onto concrete or asphalt is probably way more G's of acceleration (deceleration) than firing a 12ga, especially a gas operated one like a Saiga.

China CAN make good, even great stuff, (3/4ths of the PC you're reading this on... the iPhone etc...) you just have to be ready to kick their ass and take your money elsewhere000.gif to make sure they do it, and keep on doing it right.

This seems to be Primary Arms business model.

I've had great luck with my Vortex strikefire. I ran a AR BUIS setup with one befor Chaos came out with the H&K sights on my S-12(Not the digital painted one... the beater).

It has held up fine for me, and held zero.

User SOPMOD put one through the test a while back and beat the hell out of it, dunked it in water, it only finaly died when the heat from the ultimak AK gas tube fried the electronics.

So basicly, as long as you mount it on something cooler your okay, and frankly the S-12 has never gotten close to as hot as my x39.

The US made laser products are worth the money unless it is just a novelty to have it on for the "cool factor", and then the Chinese stuff will look just like the ones in the magazines, but their function is not the same.

The brightness levels in desert sun are still easily visible on the EOTechs, while the Chinese ones are only going to be good in cloud cover, early morning, dusk or night outside - even with fresh batteries in.

I have had a few that held zero on .223 and .22's, but some that haven't. The "multi reticle" dot sights are useless because they rotate reticles with nothing to lock the reticle in place. It creates a 2-10 MOA shift from one trip out to another. I missed a lot of rabbits one night and had to switch back to irons because my sight was so far off on my .223 AR. Lesson learned for me.

I wish that I had all the money that I spent on Chinese crap for my gun back to buy two or three good accessories. The good accessories would still be worth something, while the knock-off stuff ends up in the garbage not working any more.