Will wife be able to handle Saiga-12?

Hi, I am new here and would like to get some of your opinions about an issue. I am looking at getting a Saiga-12 and was wondering if my wife would be able to handle operating it. I am a fireman and am gone every third day so I am wanting a gun that she will be able to handle and manuever with. Does the Saiga run onreduced recoil with no issues and will she be able to handle the gun?? She is about 5'5", 125lbs, athletic....

My wife is about 5' 1" and she can handle my Saiga just fine. I would suggest a telescopic stock. I am 6' 2" so being able to adjust for arm length is a must. You may want to consider a muzzle break as well. The other thing we did was have her take a shotgun course, she had a lot of fun and gained the necessary confidence to use it.

• Like 1
Does the Saiga run onreduced recoil with no issues and will she be able to handle the gun??

The Saiga 12 can have trouble with reduced recoil ammo, some can run it, some can be tuned for it, but the base model prefers high brass. The Saiga 12 has some recoil reduction, but its a pretty big heavy weapon, generally she'll need to at least be able to handle a 12 gauge pump to be able to handle a Saiga 12, and the pump is going to be more reliable and able to handle a larger variety of ammo out of the box. Maybe consider a cheap reliable pump or a smaller gauge, there are Saiga 20 and Saiga .410 shotguns?

Edited by fauxknight

My girlfriend is about the same size (a little smaller) and she has no problem at all with mine. It helps a lot to have the gun converted to PG because it's very front end heavy in it's sporter configuration. With the pistol grip added, and the trigger moved forward where it belongs, the gun is much more ergonomic and has better balance.

Getting it to run well on reduced recoil loads may require some fine tuning, depending on how well the gun was built and if it has sufficient gas flow. I know...ridiculous isn't it? I can help you with what needs to be done if it won't cycle lower powered ammo.

Racegal20 blasting through some S&B OO Buck on her first time out...

post-1293-0-23813800-1298642921_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-00069800-1298642936_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-70791700-1298643049_thumb.jpg

Hi, I am new here and would like to get some of your opinions about an issue. I am looking at getting a Saiga-12 and was wondering if my wife would be able to handle operating it. I am a fireman and am gone every third day so I am wanting a gun that she will be able to handle and manuever with. Does the Saiga run onreduced recoil with no issues and will she be able to handle the gun?? She is about 5'5", 125lbs, athletic....

Ok I guess if she has no experience with a gun then no until she gets some training and trigger time. The Saiga or any 12 gauge is not easily handled by a novice with any amount of accuracy. If she has experience handling a 12 gauge or another weapon such as rifle larger than a 22 she might be fine, but as with anything it takes time...if recoil is your main concern step down to a 20 or 410...a firearm is only as good as its user so she will definately need experience to become comfortable with it. Not trying to be a dick just not a lot of info on her or your familiarity with firearms. My wife is 125lbs and 5'3" she handles my 12ga pump like a pro so taker her out to a range with some guns and feel her out...

While there will be exceptions, in law enforcement training we found that at least 140 LBs of body weight was required for the average height person to effectively operate a 12 gauge shotgun with combat type loads in a an effective manner for defensive use. (Please read that statement several times before disputeing it... :rolleyes: )

Please keep in mind that this involves more then just standing there and being able to fire it. We found this to be true irrespective of physical strength and was directly related to the physics of the problem.

As has been pointed out above, reduced loads are very helpful in solving this problem and to that end, I would like to suggest that you limit your selection to the 12 gauge. There are more loads available for 12 gauge then any other shotgun and that would include reduced loads that are intended for combat situations. I would steer clear of the 20 gauge, and worst the .410, for any defensive use, unless that is all you have.

Edited by Azrial

+1 for experience being the biggest factor. I think any adult could handle the recoil of the S12. My favorite reference is the 90# wife of a gun dealer I used to frequent. Her favorite gun? An 8" Taurus in 44 mag! She shot that thing like it was attached at birth. But, she shot all the time.

Proper shouldering of the is the key to any long gun. Whenever I take a newbie shooting a rifle or shotgun, I spend more time on helping them get over recoil fear than anything else (except safety, of course). The tendency is to hold the weapon slightly forward, rather than tucked into the shoulder. Every new person does it, thinking it will "prevent" recoil. Then they get whacked, which only increases their fear.

I wouldn't put an S12 into anyone's hands who had never shot before, though. Too many things going on with a semi- to think about. 20 guage single or pump to start is my regimen. Regardless of the action, one round at a time for a while until they get comfortable with what you/we take for granted (safety, action, functioning, etc.). Then build up to the S12 after they understand what "semi-automatic" means. Don't skip the dry runs, either. I let people build their knowledge and confidence at their pace, and don't assume that b/c I know it's no big deal and what to do, they will.

Women learn about firearms differently, and require more patience. Not being sexist, just respecting our differences. That's why they have "women-only" training courses, b/c there are too many douchebag husbands/boyfriends who don't get it, and run out of patience too quickly. I want people to shoot with, not scare out of the sport.

Off-topic, perhaps, sorry, but hope I helped some. I'm not an instructor, btw, but I love guns and I love women. I love them even more together....

Honestly, as much as I love the Saiga 12, I would buy a 12 gauge pump if it was going to be used primarily for home defense and used by someone who isn't firmiliar with the platform. The Saiga 12 is a very nice weapon once it is tweaked to its full potential, but I would not stake my life on it until it were completely and utterly reliable. I have 3 of them that cycle any ammo I throw at them and I would still reach for the pump as my first line of defense.

:2c:

The way my house is and the layout of where kids are the wife, when i am not home, will have to move with the gun to be in a position to defend the family. If I have her use a shotgun she will be trained and get training, but am wondering if it will be too much to move effectively. Maybe i need to get her a G19 with a happy stick and then I can just use the S-12 when i am home?

Edited by rexfire

a 12ga is a much more effective home defense weapon in the hands of someone with no form of handgun training. It is a lot easier to hit something with a shotgun during a stressful situation where your adrenaline is at its peak and your heart is pounding than it is with a handgun.

The biggest problem with some females shooting in general is the stance they take...

..many pick up the weapon, shoulder it, then lean back or arch their back...I see this as one of the biggest problems with learning to shoot...

...so I think its more about proper technique, then it is about size or weight...

...take a look at Cobra 76 two's pics...she's kinda leaning back...but props to her for going shooting

Edited by Xitesmai

The biggest problem with some females shooting in general is the stance they take...

..many pick up the weapon, shoulder it, then lean back or arch their back...I see this as one of the biggest problems with learning to shoot...

...so I think its more about proper technique, then it is about size of weight...

...take a look at Cobra 76 two's pics...she's kinda leaning back...but props to her for going shooting

Agreed. Everytime we shoot my girlfriend just stands straight up and points the gun. Haven't really seen any female lean into it with proper stance so it doesnt kick them back.

a 12ga is a much more effective home defense weapon in the hands of someone with no form of handgun training. It is a lot easier to hit something with a shotgun during a stressful situation where your adrenaline is at its peak and your heart is pounding than it is with a handgun.

I agree which is why I am looking at the shotgun, but she would get training and practice in using a handgun but a shotgun is better for hitting a target. And I have concerns about her running a pump under stress. She will be trained and proficient in whatever gun she is to use. If she isn't I think it is more dangerous for her to even try to use it. I am looking at getting a RTS-ZK-JDM from Red JAcket. Is anyone familiar with this gun? I might see if they can put an adjustable stock on it to shorten the LOP.

...so I think its more about proper technique, then it is about size or weight...

LOL, that was 4 years ago and my first time out. :)

• Like 1

I agree which is why I am looking at the shotgun, but she would get training and practice in using a handgun but a shotgun is better for hitting a target. And I have concerns about her running a pump under stress. She will be trained and proficient in whatever gun she is to use. If she isn't I think it is more dangerous for her to even try to use it. I am looking at getting a RTS-ZK-JDM from Red JAcket. Is anyone familiar with this gun? I might see if they can put an adjustable stock on it to shorten the LOP.

That would work and you would not have to worry about modding it yourself, or the reliability of it. Might add a fore grip to help with maneuvering.

Edited by Dad2142Dad

Absolutely! use the warsaw stock and limbsaver/utg combo or telescoping stock with limbsaver! tune it via info from ppl on the forum/vendors/sponsors/contributors they tend to know their stuff! or send it to a pro and it will shoot most anything i bet but maybe not everything?

The 4 inch barrel judge revolver or circuit judge the 410 revolver shotgun? maybe a 12 saiga for you and a 410 saiga for her??

Edited by Guns Are Great

LOL, that was 4 years ago and my first time out. :)

Oh... nothing against...I was merely commenting that its common amongst inexperienced shooters...gratz for sticking with it and becoming such a contributor to the community

Edited by Xitesmai

Though I love the Saiga 12 you may want to consider other options for your wife. You said that she would get training but my experience with wives (well, wife, singular) is that it isn't so much if she can handle it but if she wants to handle it. I.e. if a spouse/S.O. is dedicated to learning to use a firearm, training to use an S12 would be doable. However, if she wants something that she go out once with to get a feel for it and then puts it under the bed, more easily handled shotguns may work better.

For example, the Beretta Tx4 uses the same gas system as the Xtrema (or perhaps A400, I can't remember) but it will probably kick less and be lighter weight. For 12 gauge, something along these lines would work well.

Another good option I saw out there was a S410. Sure it might not have the same amount of shot but 3-4 pellets of 000 buck at 1400 fps is still an intimidating weapon.

Same size;

She hunts with a .308. My 1914 30-.06 is too much for her.

This was her first time shooting anything other than a bolt action.

The S12 is a soft shooter. I've dated a few girls, none of which weighed more than 110 lbs who were able to shoot mine ok. The real issue for them seemed to simply be the weight of the gun. My S12 with Chaos quad rail, light and a full stocked 10 round mag is not particularly light. They could pick it up and shoot it and hit things. Truly running the gun well, however, the weight seems to be problematic.

This is what I have seen as well. I think it may be, at least in part a reaction to the weight.

Mine run on reduced recoil 00 buck just fine.

If I were going to have one of my guns for my girl friend to use as a defensive weapon it would not be the S12. She can shoot it, but I think she would do much better with a lighter weapon in a HD situation. Particularly if she also needed to be rounding up kids or dialing 911 (that is true for me as well). If it were to be a long gun (she is a new shooter but can shoot handguns relatively well) I would probably go with my AR stocked with TAP rounds. It is shorter, lighter, and easier to run.