So I bought a black FN SCAR 17 .308 last month and after putting over 1000 rounds through it, I LOVE IT more than ever. Its been 100%, and friggin accurate.

That got me thinking about the SCAR 16, and how I want one now. With its .22 like recoil impulse and utter reliability its starting to look really good to me. I found a black one at a shop about an hour away from me

for an awesome price, $2208 out the door. Problem is I just drooped alot of cash on the 17 plus a ton of ammo and mags and an optic, Im a lil strapped for gun cash.

My dealer said he would give me $525 for my used stock saiga 12 plus 6 8 round mags, and $950 for my Arsenal 107cr + 10 steel mags + 1200 rounds of ammo. Thats $1475 towards the and Id be able to get it.

Down side is I lose 2 guns for 1 and I dont have any .556 ammo or mags yet.

What would you do?

Look at the S12 prices on gunbroker and tell me if that guy is ripping you off.

http://www.gunbroker...rchResults.aspx

Yeah but thats rip off gun broker where every shady motherfocker tries to make a buck with huge markups based off of speculation. They also sell scar 17 .308 mags for $160 each when my guy sold me 4 of them for $140, plus hes basicaly giving me what I paid for it back after a year and over 1000 rounds.

Look at the S12 prices on gunbroker and tell me if that guy is ripping you off.

http://www.gunbroker...rchResults.aspx

Yeah but thats rip off gun broker where every shady motherfocker tries to make a buck with huge markups based off of speculation.

Are you talking about guns or how gas prices are established? :D.

You don't need 5.56. You need a Vepr II or Vepr K in 5.45!!

So I bought a black FN SCAR 17 .308 last month and after putting over 1000 rounds through it, I LOVE IT more than ever. Its been 100%, and friggin accurate.

That got me thinking about the SCAR 16, and how I want one now. With its .22 like recoil impulse and utter reliability its starting to look really good to me. I found a black one at a shop about an hour away from me

for an awesome price, $2208 out the door. Problem is I just drooped alot of cash on the 17 plus a ton of ammo and mags and an optic, Im a lil strapped for gun cash.

My dealer said he would give me $525 for my used stock saiga 12 plus 6 8 round mags, and $950 for my Arsenal 107cr + 10 steel mags + 1200 rounds of ammo. Thats $1475 towards the and Id be able to get it.

What would you do?

I hate be the one to tell you this, but it doesn't sound like you can afford this purchase right now. If it were me I'd slow down a little bit, save my money, and enjoy the guns I have.

• Like 4

I think I would have to agree with Dogman on his comment... It kinda SUCKS to have to think that way, but its pretty smart in the LONG RUN... how do I KNOW this?!?!?!? Well... I made a SIMILAR purchase a couple years back with a similar selling of gun to buy GUN... and EVEN THOUGH I was VERY PLEASED with the NEW rifle.. I TOTALLY REGRET selling the one I did to fund the purchase... to the point of trying to track people down to FIND the long lost rifle... to try to buy it back again... but its GONE FOREVER most likely...

Like Dogman said... ENJOY the ones you have NOW... and SAVE the pennies... by the time you can AFFORD the SCAR 16... you will have MORE THAN ENOUGH as prices will most likely drop by then, AND you will be more able to enjoy it, as it will have two more brothers to play with too!! LOL

:up:

:smoke:

What would you do?

I hate be the one to tell you this, but it doesn't sound like you can afford this purchase right now. If it were me I'd slow down a little bit, save my money, and enjoy the guns I have.

Youre right, I just spent $4000 this last month in cash to get the 17 and to outfit it, I should just keep the ak and s12 and be happy and not spend anymore. After all, there are little poor kids all over the world who would give their right arm for a quality ak and S12

All BS aside thats what I needed to hear, wich is why I asked. +1!

Edited by GREYLUPO
  • Like 1

What would you do?

personally man, id never give up my saiga or AK, so if i were in your position, id wait and save money until i could afford the FN

I normally don't get rid of weapons very easily. I always buy more. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd keep your stuff and save for a SCAR 16 as I'm sure the price will drop on these. The SCAR 16 is a great rifle, put many rounds through a friend of mine's to try it out. He did shoot you a good trade in price on your used S-12 as a local counter here has a new Arsenal S-12 for $475 even though it has the jacked up spot where they ground out the RAA import marks. Depends if you are dying to have one NOW.

SOCOM passed by the SCAR 16 light, because it was equivilant to the M4, no major improvement, so why spend there limited funds on another platform that does the same job. The Scar 17 Heavy is another story, not only did SOCOM love it they are fielding the Mk 17 (SCAR 17s's military designation). Also if you must have a 5.56, the 17s has a swap out kit that will soon be available to chamber that round, you'll get a new trigger group, barrel, and bolt. SOCOM chose the 17s because of it multi-caliber capability.

So I would keep the S12 and AK and just wait for the swap kit. I myself is waiting for the Mk20 SSR(sniper support rifle) to be come available to the public.

HUZZAH!!!

I would like to echo some of the previous comments. You sound well outfitted now. I don't see the 16 being that much more advantageous over your current weapons. If I might make a suggestion,(and I dont mean to sound like a person who suffers from paranoia) I would buy food storage over anymore weapons at this point. Not because the end of the world is starting next week, but because the price of food is steadily rising world wide. Just a thought. OK ya'll can call me crazy now. :smoke:

SOCOM passed by the SCAR 16 light, because it was equivilant to the M4, no major improvement, so why spend there limited funds on another platform that does the same job. The Scar 17 Heavy is another story, not only did SOCOM love it they are fielding the Mk 17 (SCAR 17s's military designation). Also if you must have a 5.56, the 17s has a swap out kit that will soon be available to chamber that round, you'll get a new trigger group, barrel, and bolt. SOCOM chose the 17s because of it multi-caliber capability.

So I would keep the S12 and AK and just wait for the swap kit. I myself is waiting for the Mk20 SSR(sniper support rifle) to be come available to the public.

HUZZAH!!!

Id say the SCAR is definitely an improvement over the m4. I heard SOCOM passed on it because they couldnt justify the price when they already had a ton of m4s plus other .556 rifles.

I can see why they love the Mk 17, I just wish i had the elcan specterdr and suppressor they get.

Im hearing the Mk20 is going to be here end of the year, but itll cost between $3500-$4500!

I think I would have to agree with Dogman on his comment... It kinda SUCKS to have to think that way, but its pretty smart in the LONG RUN... how do I KNOW this?!?!?!? Well... I made a SIMILAR purchase a couple years back with a similar selling of gun to buy GUN... and EVEN THOUGH I was VERY PLEASED with the NEW rifle.. I TOTALLY REGRET selling the one I did to fund the purchase... to the point of trying to track people down to FIND the long lost rifle... to try to buy it back again... but its GONE FOREVER most likely...

Like Dogman said... ENJOY the ones you have NOW... and SAVE the pennies... by the time you can AFFORD the SCAR 16... you will have MORE THAN ENOUGH as prices will most likely drop by then, AND you will be more able to enjoy it, as it will have two more brothers to play with too!! LOL

:up:

:smoke:

Yep and yep. A man much wiser than myself once told me to (more or less) Never get rid of a truck that runs well or a gun you like. You'll regret either at some point.

Got any spare parts for that SCAR 17? Can you get any for the SCAR 16? Do you own these just for fun then go ahead and get what you want before they are banned or discontinued and you might have some very expensive and collectible weapons on your hands one day but if you own these for some future long term SHTF situation you need to look at your ability to sustain the weapon.

I would sell everything I own before I would give up my personal 7.62 AK

I would keep the Saiga and the AK........SOCOM does not like the SCAR as much as people think.......trust me.....It is a precision rifle the needs meticulous cleaning, otherwise it will fail, A LOT!! In a SHTF scenario will you have time to do that or do you want a gun that will work all the time???

Youre kidding right? Do you know anything about this platform? This is not an M1a or M4 or AR 10 we are talking about, this is the SCAR. Its the most tested rifle in history before it was approved for use.Its not a precision rifle, its 2 moa with surplus nato 7.62x51mm and 1 moa with match ammo, its a battle rifle. After my range session yesterday I have approximately 1,160 rounds through it, its been 100% and Ive used 4 diff types of surplus and 2 diff types of comm .308. Ive ran it almost four hundred rounds without cleaning and after I broke the weapon down i was surprised by how clean it was. Its also showing hardley any signs of wear thus far. I trust it, I love it, and if it was the only rifle I had during shtf, I wouldnt feel bad.

Edited by GREYLUPO

Got any spare parts for that SCAR 17? Can you get any for the SCAR 16? Do you own these just for fun then go ahead and get what you want before they are banned or discontinued and you might have some very expensive and collectible weapons on your hands one day but if you own these for some future long term SHTF situation you need to look at your ability to sustain the weapon.

I would sell everything I own before I would give up my personal 7.62 AK

I do actually have some spare piston rings and other parts will be on the way. I will be keeping my AK and S12 I dont know what the hell I was thinking about yesterday, I would have been immediately missing them if I got rid of them.

Ill stick to my saying, all my rifles start with 7.62 :killer: