47 members have voted

1. 1. Were you raised this way?

A Man supports his family & those under his wing.

A Man takes responsibility for his actions.

A Man accepts the consequences for his actions.

A Man keeps his word to the best of his ability.

A Man never speaks ill of the dead.

A Man doesn't speak ill about others who aren't able to defend themselves.

A Man doesn't hit a woman.

A Man works for what he gets & doesn't try to take what isn't his.

A Man admits when he's wrong.

A Man defends what he stands for & researches it before he follows blindly.

A Man displays loyalty to those who protect him, be it country, or those he serves under.

A Man helps a friend in need.

A Man protects his flock.

A Man does as he says others should do.

A Man doesn't put others in a position that would bring hardship on them for his own selfish reasons. (ie; borrowing money & laying a guilt trip on the other person)

A Man, at times, must do things he would rather not do. Some things just must be done.

Just because a guy has a penis, doesn't make him a Man.

Many unethical douchebags, thieves & scumbags have penises.

• Like 5

I was not "Raised" that way... Only by the grace of God and the USMC did I arrive to the same conclusions.

I was raised that way, but I, like the Prodigal Son, in my youth, strayed at times.

At points, I really strayed.

But one must find their own path. There are many out there to follow.

Through the grace of the Lord I realized the rationale behind these traditions.

Being human, I do fall at times, but try to make it right when I do.

• Like 1

1. You do the right thing because its the right thing to do!

2. I give more than I recieve.

3. I will not tolarate a liar or a thief.

4. NO one hits a woman or child (my father did with his rodeo belt and buckle).

5. No one harms or threatens to harm my family (I now wear the boots and belt buckle).

6. Be the best person you can be!

7. Remember there are more important things then you.

8. Love this one "Be execellent to one another"!

Edited by AllJacks
  • Like 6

I was not raised this way, more 180 out from that. Got out when I was 14 and never looked back. Now my kids have been raised this way. Just because the people who raised you were flaming douchebags does not mean you have to carry on the tradition. People who use that as an excuse to do it themselves should be put down in my book. It is just a excuse for being a douche.

Great post Pauley

Edited by Dad2142Dad
  • Like 1

Yes, I was raised this way and very proud of it. The Corps only reinforced and added to what I had already been taught by my parents and relatives. JJ DID TIE BUCKLE. Anyone know this? Half of the 14 Leadership Traits and Principals. And I did have a Aunt Bea, every bit like Opey's Aunt. So I was very fortunate. My daughter will be taught the same way.

My father did so many things, he worked two full-time jobs at times, he would not eat anything until his kids and wife were full then he would eat what was left. He was not afraid to help others, I can not count how many times we stopped to push a car change a tire give a jump etc...I learned so much...I am glad he is still around to see me as a man since many of us lose our fathers before we truly get to be men...

Thankfully, yes. If I ever showed signs of starting to stray from those general ideas when I was a kid......I was promptly put back in line. I'm only 27, but am still old enough to remember when kids would get an ass whoopin' for stepping out of line. Nowadays, it seems parents don't want to do that. But sometimes......a kid just needs a good ass whoopin' as a slap in the face from reality. Whether some of these parents believe it or not, there is a line between "abuse" and "ass whoopin'", and you can give a kid the latter without stepping into the former.

Amen, Brothers-

My old man passed when I was 18, and yes - he did (raise us to be men). Dad had a rough childhood with a hardworking 16 hour a day carpenter for a dad and an overstressed mother who wouldn't let papa eat til the kids got whooped for their misbehaving throughout the day.

I have two boys (6 and 3) and spend every waking minute trying to ensure they become decent people and Men.

Great post Pauly

Edited by mark mallek

Yes. I was also raised this way. I will ad that many of these traits are applicable to the raising of a Daughter as well.

I have a wonderful daughter who will soon be going off to college and I feel confident she will not let me down.

We have a saying in our home that she will not forget. " Put a little gratitude in your attitude."

Good post Pauly.

I learned to be a Man from my Father (born in 1908) and his Father ("Poppa" born in 1884).

"You are just as good as anyone else - but you ain't no better than anyone else".

My Grandfather used to deal with the lumberyard on a handshake. They had been doing business that way for 50 years!

Poppa said " guard your reputation carefully, never lie or cheat, money in the bank can disappear - but your reputation will keep you and your family fed through hard times or good"

My Father told me "Son you have your first child there and it is a bunch of responsibility. You have to hug them when they are good, and spank them when they are bad. AND if you forget to do either one you will raise a damned fool!"

• Like 1

Best post in a long line of great posts, Pauly. While I wasn't raised that way by my dad (he preferred correction with a closed-fist and a .38 revolver), my mom did. By God's grace I was fortunate to have her, and male role-models stronger than my father to guide me. It took about a decade of traveling down a very dark path to come to the realization that real men love Jesus.

Thanks for the head-check. :up:

Yep.. my old man taught me what NOT to be..

Same here, Juggs. Yet, I find myself willing to donate the man a kidney, now that he's facing end-stage renal disease. Weird.

Prayers are sought and appreciated, fellas.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

One of my all time favorite quotes as told in "the Reavers" by William Faulkner:

"A gentleman can live through anything." "A gentleman accepts the responsibilities of his actions and bears the burden of their consequences, even when he did not instigate them but only acquiesced to them, didn't say No though he knew he should."

A grandfather telling his grandson a good man does not allow for sins of commission or omission. Very near to what mine told to me.

Edited by Saiga20mags.com

Not initially. But via the Martial Arts, Military and most markedly, finding my way Home to my Real Ancestry, I came to this.

Sometimes, even if you are raised this way, it takes growing up mentally as well as physically to get it. And this rarely takes place at the same time, lol.

My Dad has done better later in life, but I think a large part of that was that I finally learned to call him out.

Being able to see what a man should NOT be, is wisdom in and of itself.

The wisdom of being a man can come from many sources, including a wise woman. For myself, I found it more comprehensible coming from a source closer to my ancient ancestry than from sources not of my line. YMMV

For me, a good start was ...

http://www.simnet.is/gardarj/havamal.htm

My father raised me to be a man, but I didn't ante up and truly realize what that entailed until last year. As my father said, "I saw you before Thanksgiving, you weren't being your good self and I wanted to wring your neck. Then at Thanksgiving you stepped up, showed back up, and have been here ever since."

The game changer for me was deciding to go to graduate school, before that I was waffling on what I wanted to do. I took a deep breath, made a list of things to take care of, and got to hammering away.

I pretty much wasn't "raised" at all. No curfew, no guidance, not even much as far as love or hate. Just existence in a very dysfunctional family "unit". I suppose I'm self taught other than many years in the School of Hard Knocks.

• Like 1