Those are interesting, I'd never heard the one about getting filled up when it's colder... I wonder if they had tricks like these back in the '70s with the gas lines. Probably not the fill up when half-full tip, because people couldn't wait around in line that often.

But ground temperature below a few feet is constant, so the air temp has nothing to do with the temp of the gasoline

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

• Like 2

But ground temperature below a few feet is constant, so the air temp has nothing to do with the temp of the gasoline

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

To be honest this isnt my info, nor can I confirm them as facts. I received it in an email and thought it might help some people out being gas is getting more and more expensive. We all have to try and save money at the pump somehow.

Yep. Which is why Geothermal HVAC systems in homes, is becoming so popular. A consistent regulation of temperature with almost no carbon footprint at minimal monthly cost, sans initial installation price.

The floating roofs are for reduction of fire hazard. The actual liquid form of gasoline is not igniteable but the gasoline vapors are extremely combustible. The floating roof keeps any build up of vapors to an extreme minimum. Those giant cylindrical tanks at petroleum facilities have floating roofs for that reason.

Stations have multiple filters to pick up dirt before it ever reaches the end of the nozzle. Your car has two more filters before it reaches the tip of your injectors, a sock at the fuel pump pick up in the tank and an inline filter.

IMO...

Best way to conserve fuel, use your cruise control at any speeds over 35mph when you can. Then coast to controlled intersections using minimal braking. Also, if you use your cruise control up to a "speed zone ahead" sign and then cruise to slow down to meet the following "speed limit sign", usually there is enuf distance to have slowed almost to that exact speed limit. In other words, dont stay at 55mph and then start braking hard once you hit the 35mph sign.

It also really extends the life of your brakes. I have experienced this personally on my daily driven vehicles.

Tire PSI is a good suggestion too. As well as driving as straight as possible.

• Like 1

To be honest, I've tried all of the above but I just don't stick with it for very long. One thing I do think about consistently is reducing the amount of unnecessary trips I make which I believe saves as much in fuel as all the other tips combined.

Best way to conserve fuel, use your cruise control at any speeds over 35mph when you can. Then coast to controlled intersections using minimal braking. Also, if you use your cruise control up to a "speed zone ahead" sign and then cruise to slow down to meet the following "speed limit sign", usually there is enuf distance to have slowed almost to that exact speed limit. In other words, dont stay at 55mph and then start braking hard once you hit the 35mph sign.

It also really extends the life of your brakes. I have experienced this personally on my daily driven vehicles.

Tire PSI is a good suggestion too. As well as driving as straight as possible.

All of those are good along with. Find the lowest price, I do a lot of of driving. the variance between stations even a few blocks apart can be up too five cent a gallon. Also the filling of the station tanks, there are filters. However you can and will get liquids other than gasoline stirring in the tanks. It is usually better hold off if you can when they do this.

You already know this, yet.

Rule # 1.

Always keep your vehicle well maintained. Air filter, fuel filter, proper lubricant's for the eng, trans, diff, ect. Tire psi is a must!

And something you may not realize?

Dont haul around a bunch of unnecesary crap (weight). The lighter the vehicle is, the more fuel efficiant it will be. Pop your trunk and I'll bet some here are using it for a junk storage container. I'm not sayin "toss that spare", but clean out anything thats not needed there. I keep a bob and some essential tools, thats about it.

Also "keep the outside clean". Dirt really is a "DRAG" aerodynamically. Wax it twice a year too. (It really does help).

I have more, but I'm tired. :super:

Float stop signs (when it's safe to do so) slow to catch lights green, accelerate downhill/maintain speed on level. Don't use A/C or headlights unless you need them. With a standard transmission, park on downhill and bumpstart instead of using starter. Make your wife/GF go on a diet.

• Like 1

On a somewhat of a tangent:

Anyone else have a vehicle that has problems

with the ethanol added gas?

Its IMPOSSIBLE to find anything without it

anymore around here, so I end up running fuel treatments all the freaking

time...and keeping an extra close eye on my fuel filters.

AND ended up replacing an otherwise ok fuel pump

because it ATE the diaphragm.... At Least the new one had seals and whatnot made

to deal with ethanol... But now Im worried because Im hearing people talk about e15 becoming a new

standard... Some how I dont think my circa 86 engine is going to deal with

that.... :ded:

because it ATE the diaphragm.... At Least the new one had seals and whatnot made

to deal with ethanol... But now Im worried because Im hearing people talk about e15 becoming a new

I had 2 vehicles warp heads.

Two relatively cheap bolt-ons did more for my power and fuel economy than anything else.

1.) Cat back exhaust. I initially used Flowmasters. Eventually I added a Bassani X-pipe and Long-tube headers.

2.) Underdrive Pulleys. These can be had for under $120 and will provide 8-15 HP and (for me at least on a 5.0) a constant 3 mpg bump. No bigger bang for the buck.

None of mine have ever had a problem but I know people that have had issues with older cars. I'm a little puzzled by you saying you have to use fuel treatments. Why is that?

The main problem(s) with ethanol is that it attacks rubber fuel system components in older cars as you stated. Also, it flushes all the gasoline tarnish out of the system and deposits it in the fuel filter sometimes plugging it up in short order. That normally isn't a problem unless the car has never run it before. Using it at least on occasion helps keep the tarnish from forming and keeps water out of the system. One other thing, perhaps the worst, that's bad about it is long term storage especially with other than automotive engines. Since it absorbs water, It'll merrily do so while the engine isn't running for months and can corrode/plug carburetors and fuel injectors. What a mess. If you can't drain your fuel system during storage make sure you use Sea Foam or Sta-Bil to help avoid problems.

Since you've already replaced your fuel pump you should be good to go. Other than that, just keep an eye on any rubber hoses in the system. I have heard injectors on older GM pickups can be damaged, but doubt they're any more vulnerable than any others. I suspect the problem was one of the above.

Good luck,

Tim

Float stop signs (when it's safe to do so) slow to catch lights green, accelerate downhill/maintain speed on level. Don't use A/C or headlights unless you need them. With a standard transmission, park on downhill and bumpstart instead of using starter. Make your wife/GF go on a diet.

Do not popstart a manual unless you have to do so. While it MAY save a few drops of fuel, it is putting

unnecessary stress on the drivetrain, especially the clutch. It's literally dumping the clutch onto a brake.

All of your other points are valid.

Driving 50 to 60 gets better mileage than 80. Cruise control is fine for level ground; it doesn't understand

hills and downgrades so one should not use it there. Driving around to find the 3 cents lower gas station just

burned up the money you will save.

The problem with ethanol is its mandatory use, and that they make it out of corn. Switchgrass is what is should

be made out of, a damn weed. Not corn.

Do not popstart a manual unless you have to do so. While it MAY save a few drops of fuel, it is putting

unnecessary stress on the drivetrain, especially the clutch. It's literally dumping the clutch onto a brake.

All of your other points are valid.

Driving 50 to 60 gets better mileage than 80. Cruise control is fine for level ground; it doesn't understand

hills and downgrades so one should not use it there. Driving around to find the 3 cents lower gas station just

burned up the money you will save.

The problem with ethanol is its mandatory use, and that they make it out of corn. Switchgrass is what is should

be made out of, a damn weed. Not corn.

I think I saw that one on a Hypermiling forum. I wasn't there long, I promise. Some of these guys go to extremes like running 0W20 oil in hot weather and sawing off their own limbs that are not needed to drive in order to save weight. http://motherjones.com/politics/2007/01/guy-can-get-59-mpg-plain-old-accord-beat-punk

I live in Iowa so had to learn about corn based ethanol out of self defense. It's as much political as anything else to use corn. Interestingly, foreign ethanol is cheaper but banned from importation to protect the status quo. There are several probably superior ways to make biofuels but no incentive to do so. Possibly the best would be using algae to make biodiesel. As you probably know, we could fill the entire forum on the pros and cons of corn ethanol and probably still wouldn't have a definitive answer.

Ethanol plays havoc with my small engines (tiller, mowers, generator, pressure washer). I combat by running Sea Foam.

Yakdung

Hypermiler chiming in here.

The best way to save gas is to stop driving. (: But I know that is a hard thing to do if your job/lifestyle depends on you doing so.

That said, it's still pretty easy to save a bunch of gas by just slowing down on the highway and taking it easy in the city.

If it's a 70 mph zone, there is nothing wrong with doing 65 or even 60. Stay in the right lane with the trucks, you'll be fine. Just no tailgating of course. This should make a huge difference (aero drag is huge at speed) on long trips, and trust me, you'll get there at the same time as if you did 80 mph. I ran a courier gig last year and drove 300+ miles a day, always took my time, and was never late. Not once. The difference of taking of 60 mph versus 80 mph average is only a few minutes over an hour of driving. Plus you get there more relaxed.

If you're in the city, or heavy traffic on the interstate, the easiest method is to go the average speed of traffic, instead of catching up with everyone only to slam your brakes. Let them get a ways ahead of you. People might pull in front of you, but so what? One car length is less than a second. The way this works is simple: Basically, every time you hit your brakes your turning money into heat. You've already paid for the gas to accelerate up to speed, so why waste it by slamming the brakes again?

I hope this helps someone out here. I know the prices are getting rough out there.

Also, my cars fuel log (I track every drop of gas I put in the car) for the past 3 years is available here; http://ecomodder.com...p?vehicleid=258

Current lifetime average of 29 mpg for a car rated at 21 mpg average. It's really not that hard once you change your mindset on driving.

Edited by brucey

Where would I find Nitrogen to fill my tires?

It's all around you, air is 70%+ N2.

Race cars and jets run it for it's lower thermal expantion.

I'll keep using air, it's free and therefore I can actually keep my tires full instead of running off to the dealership or tire store every time I need a top off.

That said, it's still pretty easy to save a bunch of gas by just slowing down on the highway

FWIW this might not be true for all cars, I get up to 5 (yes FIVE) mpg better at 90 than at 55. However it's hard to manage to keep that speed up :ph34r:

I suppose I should note that my car's sweet spot seems to be about 75mph, 30+mpg out of a 4400lb brick ain't too bad.

Edited by TTMR

I run fuel treatmenst just in case.... way to many horror stories about water build up in ethenol added tanks around here. cant hurt it, and I like to be on the safe side...

The poor thing sat for 6 years or so before I got it up and running again about 6 months or so ago (Had to keep asking the old man if he was gonna let it sit forever until he realized I wanted to get it up and running rather then let it sit around and rust)

I run lucas in it most of the time, and a nice can of seafoam in it every now and then, just to be nice to the carb :) the Ol' girl can be a pain sometimes, loves its gas, leaks oil, and hates being cold, but I love the damn thing :wub:

post-30838-0-19750800-1299798403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desolo