adjustable magazine

How about this....

-Take a small block of balsa wood the size of 3 rounds.

-Drill a tiny hole for the tab on the spring plate that usually fits in the hole in the floor plate to lock down the floor plate to fit into

-Assemble the mag with the spring plate on top of the balsa wood block.

-Screw in a screw through the floor plate.

-Remove the screw.

-Remove the floor plate.

-Screw the screw back into the bottom of the wood block.

-Cut the head off the screw with a cutoff wheel or grind it off leaving a small stud to lock the floor plate into the mag like the spring plate does.

Now you have a removable 3 round plug. :)

Just hunt with the safety on.

I have a feeling that ominous sound of an AK chambering might make birds nervous just like it does people.

• Like 1

Or to answer his question, yes I make an easy to install modification that allows one to use a 5 rd mag to only hold two rounds. I could easily make it hold 3 rds but it would be illegal to hunt with. You are only allowed a maximum of three in the gun at any time. That means the gun must not be capable of holding 4, as it would be with a 3 rd mag and an empty chamber. If you don't want to have a round in the chamber and use the safety, you can only have two in the gun (in the mag).

The mag limiters I make are not blocks of wood that can jam up in your spring. They are galvanized steel and work exactly the same way the Russians make theirs.

I also make two round only mags, that look exactly like the factory two rounders.

Does anyone have an easy modification to a 5rd magazine to make it 2rd hunter compatible.

BUT if with any horrible luck I run into someone out hunting I would like to be able to change my 5rd mag into a 2rd mag quick. I’m not breaking any sporting rules (still have only 3 rounds) but I have the feeling of them “just trusting me and taking my word” is not going to cut it]

No one but DNR can check your weapon/mag-capacity. Some individual hunter you come across can't.

How quickly would you need to go from 3 rd mag to 2rd mag?

In the eyes of the DNR, how permanent of a mod does this have to be? Would a "feild" adjustable mag be legal under their eyes?

Are you sure that you are limited to only a 3 round capacity? There is generally allot of confusion about this but like here in Tennessee there is no magazine limit on either shotguns or rifles unless you are hunting migratory game birds/waterfowl...if you hunt waterfowl then you are subject to Federal regs and have to limit your shotgun to a 3 round limit and use non-toxic shot.

Tn hunting regs page 18-19 are where the magazine restrictions are.

But, to answer your question; take the floor plate off your 5 round mag, stick 2 empty 2 3/4" hulls in the bottom of the mag with the open end up so that the hulls are in between the base plate and floor plate (the shell bases will rest on top of the floor plate), put floor plate back on mag...now you should have a 2 round mag.

Sorry, I was referring to migratory game birds, and waterfowl...that's what people usually ask about when wanting a mag limiter.

Also, the purpose of limiting capacity is to keep your gun from being confiscated and you being ticketed, fined, and possibly arrested. An "adjustable" mag is not considered legal if you get stopped by a game warden. What other hunters may or may not think shouldn't really matter.

Are you sure that you are limited to only a 3 round capacity? There is generally allot of confusion about this but like here in Tennessee there is no magazine limit on either shotguns or rifles unless you are hunting migratory game birds/waterfowl...if you hunt waterfowl then you are subject to Federal regs and have to limit your shotgun to a 3 round limit and use non-toxic shot.

But, to answer your question; take the floor plate off your 5 round mag, stick 2 empty 2 3/4" hulls in the bottom of the mag with the open end up so that the hulls are in between the base plate and floor plate (the shell bases will rest on top of the floor plate), put floor plate back on mag...now you should have a 2 round mag.

I placed 3 live rounds under the follower on one of my keepshooting.com mags and it worked just fine. Then I learned that the limit for deer hunting in my area is 5 rounds so I took them out of the bottom and put them in the other end. (Insert dirty joke here.)

Or to answer his question, yes I make an easy to install modification that allows one to use a 5 rd mag to only hold two rounds. I could easily make it hold 3 rds but it would be illegal to hunt with. You are only allowed a maximum of three in the gun at any time. That means the gun must not be capable of holding 4, as it would be with a 3 rd mag and an empty chamber. If you don't want to have a round in the chamber and use the safety, you can only have two in the gun (in the mag).

The mag limiters I make are not blocks of wood that can jam up in your spring. They are galvanized steel and work exactly the same way the Russians make theirs.

I also make two round only mags, that look exactly like the factory two rounders.

Cobra made a 2 rounder for me.....very happy with it

how much for the 2rd mag? and any creative ways to get from a 5rd mag into a 2rd mag VERY QUICKLY? I'm fine with scaring bird chambering the Saiga, better lose a bird then lose your friend not being safe..just dont feel good walking around with one chambered and only a safty on (I have a SxS with a safty and I still leave it broken open untill the dog points)

Sorry, I was referring to migratory game birds, and waterfowl...that's what people usually ask about when wanting a mag limiter.

Also, the purpose of limiting capacity is to keep your gun from being confiscated and you being ticketed, fined, and possibly arrested. An "adjustable" mag is not considered legal if you get stopped by a game warden. What other hunters may or may not think shouldn't really matter.

I know federal regs limit you to 3 rounds when hunting migratory game birds and waterfowl, but the OP didn't say what he was hunting specifically and I know a lot of people in a lot of places think that the 3 round limit applies to any and all kinds of shotgun hunting. That maybe true in some state where they just decide to mirror fed law because their legislators don't what to think for themselves, but there are at least a few states that have their own laws for non-migratory, non-waterfowl game birds...Tennessee being one of them. As long as I am NOT hunting waterfowl, it is my business as to how many rounds are in my magazine weather it is 1, 3 or 100. If the game warden doesn't like how many rounds I have in the mag, tough shit for him cuz he can't do a damn thing.

I made a simple plug that can easily and reversibly comply with 2 or 3 shot restrictions and switch between the two. I will include one pic and a link to the album. I think I made a thread about it a while back, but I am too lazy to search.

It worked perfectly and took about 10 minutes. 1029091216.jpg

Album with more pictures.

• Like 1

Here is what the factory plug looks like made for the OE 5rd mags....

post-20217-0-20147800-1303579397_thumb.jpg

Making a plug out of some sort of scrap laying around in your garage, should be too difficult.

I found one of those included in a factory 5 I bought:

factorymagplug.jpg

I haven't looked, but are they that hard to get ahold of, (outside of a random mag)?

I went through this a little while ago. In pa 3 rounds max in the woods in a semi auto shotgun so you can only have a 2 rd mag game warden said it cannot be easily convertible in the feild. But he was okay with a chunk of wood in it. Makes no sense to me. I can pull the plug in my 870 in about 30 seconds. But I didn't make the rules.

• Like 1

I went through this a little while ago. In pa 3 rounds max in the woods in a semi auto shotgun so you can only have a 2 rd mag game warden said it cannot be easily convertible in the feild. But he was okay with a chunk of wood in it. Makes no sense to me. I can pull the plug in my 870 in about 30 seconds. But I didn't make the rules.

Hey your in zone 2B also....talked to game warden about the same issues......gonna be one sorry late season doe this year......winchester dual sabot slugs with my adapter Cobra made me for a rifled winchoke.......for my S12

Gonna b a blast :killer:

Making a plug out of some sort of scrap laying around in your garage, should be too difficult.

Yeah you're right mullet, it's better to just find whatever is laying around and cram it in your mag, to reduce the capacity exactly. It's only someone's legal ability to come out of the field with their weapon, and of course the ability for it to fire when the trigger is pulled....every time....for all three rounds as it may be.... rolleyes.gif

That's a way better option than spending five bucks to insure your mag and your gun is compliant, and reliable.

032.gif

That's why I put a screw in the bottom using the factory hole in the floor-plate. You can't change it in the field without tools, and everything is completely reversible. It cost nothing too.

That's why I put a screw in the bottom using the factory hole in the floor-plate. You can't change it in the field without tools, and everything is completely reversible. It cost nothing too.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Whatever method you use, make sure the damn thing actually works first. Then before you leave the house make sure your ass is covered if you happen to encounter law enforcement.

nuff said

I found one of those included in a factory 5 I bought:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6615/factorymagplug.jpg

I haven't looked, but are they that hard to get ahold of, (outside of a random mag)?

They're out there but more rare then not. The two round mags will (should) have a '2' stenciled on the back of it. I know R&R had a few when they were selling all those 5rd mags, thats where i got mine by accident and showed Doug how to identify them. Post #28 and #29.

If anyone wants measurements of the OE plug/block, i can get them tomorrow night. I wouldnt spend $5 on one, seeing as how easy it is to make.

Edited by Mullet Man

Problem with that is that the mag block, like the spring/floorplate retainer, is what holds the floorplate in place.

Problem with that is that the mag block, like the spring/floorplate retainer, is what holds the floorplate in place.

yeah, but if its just a temporary solution then a small piece of duck tape would do to keep the floor plate on.

yeah, but if its just a temporary solution then a small piece of duck tape would do to keep the floor plate on.

The screw goes through the hole in the floorplate. No tape is needed.

I had to rig up something on a spur of the moment notice and i used 3 BIC pen housings. I just cut them to the size of 3 shells and placed them in between the 2 prongs coming up from the floor plate. I just used scotch tape wrapped around the 2 prongs and the 3 BIC pens and it held perfectly. Quick, Easy, Cheap. Then i just stuck my old shell holder that goes around my double barrel butt stock around the factory five rounder so I could do quick reloads .