Muzzle Brakes?

So I finally got out of prison school for the summer and had promised myself if I kept my gpa high enough I would finish up my saiga build. Currently I have a plain old saiga converted by CGW, a tri-rail, front grip and an eotech (ill upload a pic when I have access to a computer with one on it already). The two things left that I want to buy are a different stock and a break. Now, for the stock I am looking at getting a vltor collapsible one (not sure from who yet, looks like CSS is out of the tube adapter I need and I don't really want to split up the order...) but as for the break, I have absolutely no idea what to look for. I don't need anything too fancy or something that gets me shot by the guy next to me at the range, but I do want something to lessen the recoil a bit (pretty small fellow so no 40 inch long breaks either please).

Thanks in advance for the info guys, always loved this forum!

-Niff

I'd go with either the slant or the 74 style, both are effective and have done very well over the years.

I believe the slant reduces recoil more (could someone confirm or dispute this so I know for sure?) so may be the way to go if your on a 7.62 or above, whereas the 74 style reduces recoil very well and also hides flash so is preferable IMO unless you really need all the help you can get. The slant is also a good bit shorter and generally cheaper.

edit: also if you intend to mount a bayonette it might be worth making your choice based on that, the front gas block and front sight block are different depending on which bayonette/muzzle brake. With the 74 sytle the bayo attaches to the FSB, with the slant it attaches to the front gas block. Sounds as though you havn't replaced either yet so it's worth telling you that if you want to use the slant and the bayo you will have to replace the front gas block as well, whereas the 74 style brake/bayo requires only a 74 style FSB.

double edit: wow.. this was in the s-12 section, now I feel retarded (thought you were talking 7.62 or 5.45), go with the polychoke, it's great. Not a recoil reducer but adjustable choke is really good. You can reduce recoil on the stock- probably the best option, Mako (AKA FAB) stock's are really easy to install and have a buffer in them. Unfortunately I don't think CSS has them, which sucks because CSS is my favorite place to buy from.

Edited by volkov

I'm using a Tromix Shark Brake, it's a bad ass looking muzzle brake :devil:

The points are sharp as hell and I like to think they would have no trouble piercing right through somebody's forehead if need be.

There seems to be a little less recoil compared to shooting with no brake but it is a shotgun after all, so it could just be psychological..

Shark.jpgI

I cut one out of a beer can with my pocket knife and redneck welded it on ( hose clamp ) .... its schweet and functional! besides, whens the last time ya saw a bud light break?....ummmhum, thats classy right there.. get that and one of them ace beer opener sling thingies and yer set for bear!

No, seriously, I opted for a Saber Boss but its a purely aesthetic break, won't help a bit with recoil or flash... looks meanern hell though...

seems to be 2 schools of thought on the breaks... functional that don't add much to the looks of the gun unless your a traditionalist and cosmetic that look frikkin HAWT but don't really do much other than make your gun purdy!

My Saiga is a range toy barbie doll and gawd I love her.... so if I NEED functional, I'm grabbing another gun anyway. IF I were to build another.... I'd REALLY look hard at the warthog... thats another REALLY nice break.

I dunno how much help your gonna get out of a muzzle break though, might look at a mid barrel comp to help with recoil, and get a break for sexy....

/shrug

I have the Tromix monster brake and it helps reduce recoil a great deal.

so I have heard a few good things about this break especially, my question is how heavy is it? My gun is already on the long side (19 incher, don't know how comfortable I am hacking it down) but if it works well and does not make the gun handle weird (or crazy front heavy), the price is certainly not an issue.

The other one I have heard good things about is the JT engineering break, if anyone has comments there?

I also have the Tromix shark brake. Love it. It looks badass, and really could do some damage in a close quarters combat situation.

I feel like I read somewhere that it significantly reduces recoil. Like 30-40%. But can't remember where I saw that. It feels a bit better, but I also have a limbsaver on my stock, which I'm sure helps too. All in all, it is a pleasure to shoot.

I've shot a mid-barrel brake and that thing works. I am however from the camp of muzzle breaks on an 18" 12 ga do little or nothing to affect muzzle rise. It's like putting a comp or break on a .45, it's operating at relatively low pressures with fast powders. There is just not enough gas out there to do much good. Maybe I'll eat my words, but that's the physics of it.

Hundreds of customers tell us that it works.

I know for sure that it looks bad ass :)

I've been curious for a while now, I have my shark brake mounted with the two ports facing upwards. I figure the gas coming out would help to counter muzzle rise, but on most pictures I seen online people have it mounted with the ports facing downwards.. which is the correct way?

I seem to remember one that looked like the 50 cal rifles muzzle break anyone else seen it or have any info on it?

Me too, I think it was a Czech company that made it. Definately looked cool.

this is the mossberg roadblocker. i don't know if the brake is sold separately.

arrowhead.gif

I seem to remember one that looked like the 50 cal rifles muzzle break anyone else seen it or have any info on it?

Sorry I don't have any info on them currently but they are on gunbroker from time to time. Not now though I just checked

I designed a similar brake for my 450Bushmaster and it worked EXTREMELY well. The guy that tested the prototype thats back on my gun is set up for testing recoil reduction with accelerometers. He said this was by far the most effective brake he has ever tested on the 450BM. I plan on building one for my saga when time allows, just to see how she works.

Im going with the monster brake. I heard there gas hogs so u have to up the gas system. However im having a gun smith shorten the barrel and then putting this brake on to make it the legal length in oregon

Im going with the monster brake. I heard there gas hogs so u have to up the gas system. However im having a gun smith shorten the barrel and then putting this brake on to make it the legal length in oregon

That's funny -- I'm doing the exact same thing with both the monster and the tromix shark breaks here in Oregon. I pick them up today.

Less you are using mid barrel brake I would not see why the gun would need extra gas. Even then it would be negligible. I ended up using the non toothed JTE brake as I was looking for a "Barrett" style brake. In all honesty it's more show then anything. If anything it's a better flash suppressor then brake, but some energy was removed from slugs.

The monster brake will not affect cycling, because it's a muzzle attachment.

However, shortening the barrel will cause you to lose cycling gas, and the brake won't get that gas back for you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...