Given the huge popularity of duck bill spreaders why not make one?

I am not a metal worker so I guess if there is a technical issue I would like to know it.

OK ill bite , whats a duck bill spreader , would you find it on the shelf next to the re-bar strecher or the sky hook , or is it over by the 10 penny toe nails ? :lolol:

• Like 1

I am not a metal worker so I guess if there is a technical issue I would like to know it.

OK ill bite , whats a duck bill spreader , would you find it on the shelf next to the re-bar strecher or the sky hook , or is it over by the 10 penny toe nails ? :lolol:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=528645

while he's at it, have him grab me a 5gallon bucket of argon.

http://www.ar15.com/...&f=123&t=528645

thats actually kinda cool , it would probly work really for shooting skeet :super:

Back before some piece of shit stole my SPAS-12 I was told my numerous people that there was a "shot spreader" available for it that screwed on to the threaded barrel. Looks like that is what 1-7 is referring to.

Very cool idea, but someone would have to make one to fit the S12.

I would buy one.

I think they aren't very popular because nobody really knows about them - I know I didn't. If one of the larger companies were to make and advertise one I'm sure it would sell. There doesn't seem to be as much machining involved so it shouldn't cost THAT much to fab up.

thinking about it further, if you have 9 pellet buck, how would this help you? at distance you might be lucky to get 1 or pellets on target. as far as aiding in shooting running targets....well for the home defense crowd, you probably shouldn't be shooting at a running (read:fleeing) target. For shits and giggles, this would make sense, but I'd have to guess that as far as real world tactical advantage, maybe not.

I know some people care and others don't, but I would think the lawyers would have a field day with you if you killed somebody with a "AK47 shotgun modified to spray and kill people like in the Vietnam war." I can imagine it now...the jury will hate you.

Edited by AtlSaiga

Shot spreaders have two uses as I see them.

1. Riots. You have a mass of people on the ground, and you're not so concerned with killing them, as you are with stopping their advance and turning them around. A horizontal spread of shot will injure/disable/hurt multiple people better than a circular shot pattern will.

2. Jungle ambush. You have a general area of where the ambush is coming from, but you may not have an exact location. You want a wider horizontal spread into the brush to get the enemy's head down, and disrupt his fire so your group can return fire, or skedaddle.

AJ has it right. They're best used against multiple attackers/birds and/or bunnies(oh them EVIL bunnies) or in an area of dense vegetation when you don't know exactly where the fire is coming from. Oh and trap shooting too, lol. And lets not forget "hostile only" building/room clearing. You know, for them evil bunnies. :killer:

What I would like is one similar to a Polychoke that goes from open bore to spreader with a quick turn.

It seems like you would hit the bad guy with more pellets if you turned that thing vertical......and be less likely to inadvertantly hit the wrong target.

The duck bill style is more of a diverter than a spreader. The spreader style leaves the pattern round and just opens it up faster. The diverter changes the shape of the pattern. Or at least that is the idea anyway.

If I were to guess, I would bet that both styles just fuck up the pattern so you have large holes in some areas of the pattern and clumps of shot in others.

Tony

• Like 1

It seems like you would hit the bad guy with more pellets if you turned that thing vertical......and be less likely to inadvertantly hit the wrong target.

The duck bill style is more of a diverter than a spreader. The spreader style leaves the pattern round and just opens it up faster. The diverter changes the shape of the pattern. Or at least that is the idea anyway.

If I were to guess, I would bet that both styles just fuck up the pattern so you have large holes in some areas of the pattern and clumps of shot in others. [emphasis added]

Tony

True, given the low statistics from 00 buck containing so few pellets.

My Dad's buddy was a Mortarman in Vietnam and was issued a shotty like this in case they had to ditch the tube and blast their way out of the jungle. As far as any other use, I want all my pellets hitting the target, not two or three. Just curious, anyone know if this limits the shotgun to shot only or will it still throw a slug effectively?

Just curious, anyone know if this limits the shotgun to shot only or will it still throw a slug effectively?

It would pretty much have to have a pinch to be very effective, but it would be designed as a removable device.

http://forum.saiga-1...duckbill-choke/

I know it wss discussed in 2007 and 2005,

And in an identical thread just yesterday?? :rolleyes:

I know I posted links to the SPAS spreader on a S-12 and everything else on the other thread yesterday. O'well I will do it again.

post-21226-0-10760700-1307409745_thumb.jpg

post-21226-0-26080800-1307410090_thumb.jpg

Edited by SCHULTZE

http://forum.saiga-1...duckbill-choke/

I know it wss discussed in 2007 and 2005,

And in an identical thread just yesterday?? :rolleyes:

I know I posted links to the SPAS spreader on a S-12 and everything else on the other thread yesterday. O'well I will do it again.

I've seen one similar to this for a Rem 1100 minus the vent/brake ports. I was told it was a VERY BAD IDEA to shoot slugs thru it :o