I am in the market for a gun safe . It has to hold roughly 10 to 14 rifles and 6 to 8 handguns. Looking to spend between $300 to $500 dollars . Any one know of any good places to purchase a good safe?

I'm not sure it's possible to get a quality one for that price range.

I've gotta agree with Jim. I bought my Centurian a couple of years ago and the same safe is almost double the price now, which puts it in the upper end of your price range. And its smaller than what you're looking for.

Good luck.

For what you want and your price range, you could get a metal gun cabinet which would be just pressed steel and not fire rated but will keep them locked from kids, or watch Craigslist or other local classifieds for a used one. Costco has or did have a fire rated safe for $499, don't remember the capacity tho. Good luck.

This is the best safe for the money your looking to spend.

The SentrySafe 14-Gun Safe With Electronic Lock delivers fire protection, flexibility and top-quality craftsmanship. Comes in a durable black powder coat matte finish.

SentrySafe 14-Gun Safe With Electronic Lock: ETL verified to manufacturer's fire protection specifications up to 1400° F for 30 minutes, interior temperature remains below 350° F<LI>Solid steel pry-resistant door with external hinges protect against theft and unauthorized entry<LI>3 steel live-locking dead bolts for added security<LI>Hardened steel plate protects from drill attacks<LI>Bolt-down hardware included as an additional bonus<LI>4-way adjustable interior configuration<LI>Carpeted interior and gun rack for added protection of priceless collectibles<LI>Durable black matte powder-coat finish<LI>Bright brass and chrome hardware with lever handle for high-end appearance<LI>Exterior dimensions: 22.8" W x 23.6" D x 59" H<LI>Interior dimensions: 20.5" W x 16.3" D x 57" H<LI>Capacity: 11.2-cubic feet<LI>Weight: 395-lbs.<LI>Model: GM1459E

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SentrySafe-14-Gun-Safe-With-Electronic-Lock/11064234?findingMethod=rr

Edited by lutzy72

For 300 to 500 you're not going to get anything with real security or fire protection. UL RSC rating means it will keep out a guy for 5 minutes with a hammer and screwdriver, and you won't get even that at that price.

You might look at a used contractor box chained to a structural column of something. This will probably offer better security.

Something like this: http://www.knaack.com/jobsite_storage_equipment/view_products.php?p_id=2

For 300 to 500 you're not going to get anything with real security or fire protection. UL RSC rating means it will keep out a guy for 5 minutes with a hammer and screwdriver, and you won't get even that at that price.

You might look at a used contractor box chained to a structural column of something. This will probably offer better security.

Something like this: http://www.knaack.co...ucts.php?p_id=2

That is a smart idea. Don't need any fire protection unless you live in the middle of nowhere. If you are local to a fire department, they will hopefully be on site before internal temperatures reach paper flash point. The more likely scenario will be the roof blow off the top of your home when you are away. Then the dregs show up to hall your stuff away.

Yakdung

• Like 1

Something like this: http://www.knaack.co...ucts.php?p_id=2

That is a smart idea. Don't need any fire protection unless you live in the middle of nowhere. If you are local to a fire department, they will hopefully be on site before internal temperatures reach paper flash point. The more likely scenario will be the roof blow off the top of your home when you are away. Then the dregs show up to hall your stuff away.

Yakdung

I'd have to disagree with this. The FD is still part of the 911 system, which is why I have a Fire Extinguisher in my truck. Try as they may(gods protect them), I've seen way too many homes already beyond saving by the time the FD get there and sometimes even before anyone notices the fire. A fire rated safe is a better bet. But we all do what we can afford.

OP, do a search, there is a great thread about this from a year or so ago. One commenter is actually employed in the safe industry, iirc.

Edited by BpS12

I don't know if you're willing to wait, but during Black Friday (right after thanksgiving) Bass Pro ususally has some good sales including at least one good safe (the last couple of years anyway). Go there and apply for their credit card and you'll get 5% off your first purchase too. Combine these two things and you may be able to get a pretty good safe that still fits in your price range.

A video for you to consider.

Yakdung

That is a great video, however we all know the real thieves don't wear black hoodies......they wear a suit and tie and have a real nice watch!! I think the are called Banking executives or something.

• Like 4

I am in the market for a gun safe . It has to hold roughly 10 to 14 rifles and 6 to 8 handguns. Looking to spend between $300 to $500 dollars . Any one know of any good places to purchase a good safe?

I don't know if you have a Academy Sports in your area but I bumped into this:

post-13534-0-57222800-1308094170_thumb.jpg

Yakdung

The video serves to point out a few things:

Bolt the safe down to the floor, and screw to a wall.

Place safe in a closet if possible, to make using pry bars impossible.

Keep safe hidden from guests and friends. Best that any thieves come unprepared.

• Like 2

I picked up a Centurion by Liberty safe at Lowes a year ago, it was listed as a 14gun safe(though I would say 10 gun) It has a fire rating of 25 min. not top of the line but fits my needs(for now)! It was $389.00 And a hell of a lot better than a steel cabinet. It has 4 1" locking bolts and a combination not electronic lock!

I made my own for $75 and some time.

I shoped around and could not find one that felt strong. Just by tapping on the door you can tell a lot about the thickness of the steel.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/64690-evil-black-box-for-evil-black-toyz/page__view__findpost__p__621760__fromsearch__1

The video serves to point out a few things:

Bolt the safe down to the floor, and screw to a wall.

Place safe in a closet if possible, to make using pry bars impossible.

Keep safe hidden from guests and friends. Best that any thieves come unprepared.

+1 Thats exactly what I was thinking when I watched it.

A cheap safe handled properly is still going to be pretty difficult to get into. You have to weigh all your options, such as the value of your guns, the possibility of a fire or burglery, whether you have kids or others that are in the place all the time, against how much you want to spend on a safe. If all of those factors are high you probably want a good safe. If all you own is a couple of shotguns for hunting and you live alone in the country while no one knows you even own a firearm, then a cheap safe bolted down and hidden in the closet is probably more than enough.

One important point to consider....safes are usually advertised as holding X number of guns, but that's almost always wildly optimistic. In other words, if you want to hold 10 guns comfortably, get a safe that claims to hold 20.

I bought TWO safes. Brand new... 25 gun each... spent just shy of 1600 on close to 2K worth of safes... ( Yeah, I know people and got a pretty good deal ) Agreed they are VERY optimistic with gun capacity... Think Mossberg/Remington pump shotgun, or factory configuration ruger 10/22 and you might get all 25 in there... start talking AR15, or rifles with scopes... and that number shrinks PROMPTLY!!!

It was all I could do to SQUEEZE about 45 guns into both of mine... but they fit.

All bolted down, in corner locations. It wasnt so much that they are burglar proof... but they are burglar resistant... and will stall anyone hopefully long enough that they either give up, or dont get all of them... I do not have to make it any easier on them than I have to!! :lol: LOL

I REALLY need a THIRD safe... and then can get them all in comfortably, and not just jammed in there...

:smoke:

I have that Sentry 14 gun safe and it is a very tight fit just to get 10 long guns in it. And that's just long guns, no scopes attached to them. It's very narrow and tight once you start stacking them in. But for the $480 price tag, it does ok.

edit: Also, if you plan on storing ammo on the long top shelf, you'll have to reinforce it for sure. It's only 1/2" mdf plywood and will sag/collapse pretty much instantly when anything heavy is placed on it.

Edited by mlyoung83

I bought my safe 25 years ago out of the local classifieds and picked it up myself. I have never second guessed that purchase...well maybe going up stairs I have. It's a small safe 5' tall x 2.5 wide x 1.5 deep...heavy steel. I have 20 guns in it now but only 5 are long guns...I can get one more long gun in there maybe 2 with a folder. Costco had nice ones on sale last month...maybe they still do...and in your price range. good luck.