Drummm, Dra, Drum Drum.....

Okay....

Does Mike D. have one of these yet?

Who's gonna make the drum?

C&S has AR drum experience.... Is this their calling?

Someone could become a millionaire by making a milspec quality drum for this gun....

Who will be first to take a stab at it?

My money's on an aluminium one being offered first being as a CNC is quicker to initially produce with than having injection molding tooling made.

Good question Pauly. Honestly, I'd be happy to stick to a polymer drum like my MD for my Saiga because I like to reduce weight like that. So weight and the expense of something such as the widowmaker is the reason why I would not buy one.

Any magazine like the Widowmaker in my mind reminds me of the historical failure called the Chauchat.

• Like 1

There's no room for a plastic mag in the magwell.

Steel tower (takes care of a potential bulge from the rounds), connected to a plastic drum lower.

I'm referring to Forklift's post. You'll note I suggested this approach in my first post.

There's no room for a plastic mag in the magwell.

IF someone is making a new lower the size of the magwell can be addressed if one were working in conjunction with a vendor who would be making a polymer mag. Or someone could just stamp out an aluminum body as is but longer for 10 - 12.

At least this seems like the most obvious choices. But I'm just guessing.

Pauly I have complete faith in you Bro, after seeing some of your work on here.. you can do it man, make our dream come true..LoL

I don't have time with my manual tools.

Much of this is a job for a full CNC shop or someone with polymer manufacturing capabilities.

I still have to spend my time turning my own knobs as I look at the numbers.

It'd take me months for each.

C&S has drum background, Chaos has a double drum design with a tower that looks like it could be addapted with engineering, MD Arms has a working 20 round drum, his own injection molding press & the ability to mold polymer around steel.

All of the above are innovators.

Those would be the shops I'd be watching closely, from this site at least.

There are some of you who remember what it was like when the Saiga aftermarket was being developed. Well, this market will develop quicker because the main players are already in place thanks to the Saiga.

It won't be long until a whole load of aftermarket stuff comes out; in fact our whole compliance/performance package is already in production.

Steel tower (takes care of a potential bulge from the rounds), connected to a plastic drum lower.

Sounds like a hybrid, all the tree huggers should like that!!

Jeff-

Those lil weirdos can hump a tree for all I care, the last intention I would ever try to have is to cater to those who can not be satisfied.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen the 1919 mags but it seem to me that if you took a surefire 12 rd mag and cut the top off around the first rib you could easily attach that to the bottom of the akdal mag. That would be sort of like what r and r does with their 20rd mags. If you did that you'd probably have about a 16-17 rd mag. Just a thought.

Hello,

New to the forum, just wondering if anyone else has shot one of these and had issues with the ejection? Mine first time out would not eject the round, basically a single shot. Got home broke down cleaned and hopefully have it run correctly next outing.

• 2 months later...

A drum will not be easy for this weapon. Our Saigas feed with the mag locked in at a angle while shells feed through out the mag pretty straight giving the shell the proper alignment to feed into the barrel bore, with the MKA 1919, because the mag slides straight in at 90 degrees or very near it, the feed angle is made up in the follower. With a straight mag this is a little pain in design, but with a drum this is a major problem! In order for a drum to work with this weapon it will have to feed straight then kick the shell up to the required angle to feed properly or the drum would have to have some weird outside shape that allows the shell to feed around already angled, adding quite a bit to the over all outside diameter to the drum. I have some concepts to achieve this but they're sketchy at best at this point. I turned my attention to drums like the beta-meg for the AR platform but there is a major differences feeding a pointed .223 round versus a large flat front surface such as a 12 ga. shell. I was hoping to convert our 10 Rd mini drum for this weapon and still may be able do so, but it will be a design challenge unlike anything we've seen in a while with weapon platforms, really doubt you'll see any current mags being adapted to this weapon.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
A drum will not be easy for this weapon. Our Saigas feed with the mag locked in at a angle while shells feed through out the mag pretty straight giving the shell the proper alignment to feed into the barrel bore, with the MKA 1919, because the mag slides straight in at 90 degrees or very near it, the feed angle is made up in the follower. With a straight mag this is a little pain in design, but with a drum this is a major problem! In order for a drum to work with this weapon it will have to feed straight then kick the shell up to the required angle to feed properly or the drum would have to have some weird outside shape that allows the shell to feed around already angled, adding quite a bit to the over all outside diameter to the drum. I have some concepts to achieve this but they're sketchy at best at this point. I turned my attention to drums like the beta-meg for the AR platform but there is a major differences feeding a pointed .223 round versus a large flat front surface such as a 12 ga. shell. I was hoping to convert our 10 Rd mini drum for this weapon and still may be able do so, but it will be a design challenge unlike anything we've seen in a while with weapon platforms, really doubt you'll see any current mags being adapted to this weapon.

No major design challange. There is a very simple solution to the angle. What you would do is offset the front and rear sprocket. The offset will translate up the tower through the shells. This will happen in both directions. You could nose up or down either one like this.

• Like 3

No major design challange. There is a very simple solution to the angle. What you would do is offset the front and rear sprocket. The offset will translate up the tower through the shells. This will happen in both directions. You could nose up or down either one like this.

So when will we see one?!? wink.png

• Like 1