Everyone has a different opinion on this some people say thousands of rounds for each weapon and some say a lot less, me personally 2-3k for my saiga,1-1.5k 9mm, and maybe 750 to 1000 12ga. this is what I think would be suffecient for food gathering self defense etc. even bartering if you have too. So what is the general consensus on what would be suitable for portability and budget.

The first answer is as much as you can actually afford. If that is 300 rounds or 3000 rounds.

My original value was 500 per caliber as that was all I could afford. Since I am not in a position to do much shooting I take my hobby money and have been buying more ammo. My new value is 1000 rounds except for guns that are unique for caliber (for example, I have one .45 ACP so I don't feel like putting a lot more money into getting 500 more rounds of .45). I'd say ~500 shells for a shotgun spread out amongst slugs, buck and bird. Then you have both defense and hunting ammo.

For portability? Probably no more than 200-300 rounds. That stuff gets heavy fast so if you actually have to move I bet just a couple of loaded magazines. This goes even if you're using a car. Most cars have a maximum gross weight and if you fill up your car with 10,000 rounds of 7.62x39 that'd take a good chunk of the available weight for other items.

Try and think outside of the box on this one. The more ammo you have in a panic situation, the more popular you will be. Also remember, circumstances can turn on a dime and it is always good to be prepared. I have over 10K rounds and don't think I have enough.

Be safe,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1

I figured what I had would be movable in a reasonably short time frame just in case you gotta pack up and get outta dodge. I will probably buy more than what is stated above but I figure that would be a good baseline.

I think what you mean to say yakdung is the more ammo you have the bigger target you will be,lol jk. 10k is alot though could you pick all that up get it in your car with all your other necessary gear and be ready to go. The less time it takes to leave your position the better. Granted this is my view since I live in tightly knit suburban area where speed would be key, you may live elsewhere that would be a little less hectic in a shtf scenario, so you have the ability to stock that many rounds more power to you.

As mush as you can afford along with reloading supplys. Even if you don't reload yourself it is a good idea when the SHTF in the aftermath you may hookup with someone who can or could use them and your extra ammo to trade for food or fuel.

Edited by SCHULTZE

10,000rds

If you can't afford enough rifle ammo then get something 9mm and if you can't afford enough 9mm then get a Ruger 1022.

Remember the weapon and magazines are not even 1/4 of the cost of an adequate setup so even if your weapon and mags cost you $1500-$2000 but you save $1000-$4000 in the finally tally for 10,000rds of ammo you will be better off.

I figured what I had would be movable in a reasonably short time frame just in case you gotta pack up and get outta dodge. I will probably buy more than what is stated above but I figure that would be a good baseline.

I think what you mean to say yakdung is the more ammo you have the bigger target you will be,lol jk. 10k is alot though could you pick all that up get it in your car with all your other necessary gear and be ready to go. The less time it takes to leave your position the better. Granted this is my view since I live in tightly knit suburban area where speed would be key, you may live elsewhere that would be a little less hectic in a shtf scenario, so you have the ability to stock that many rounds more power to you.

All of my ammo is 50cal cans and can be neatly stacked in the back of my diesel pickup in short order. I can get 1000 rounds of 762X39 in each can. Also, I live in burbs.

Be safe,

Yakdung

I think most military guys run with 6-12 mags of 30 rounds each.. and then some more tucked away.

I'm sitting on 860 of 223 and 600+ of 308/762 NATO stuff... about 200 rounds of 9mm.. in the 2 cans I got.

my rig I weighed out with 6 mags of 223 and 4 mags of 308 and 2 9mm mags, and then is a 200 SAW pouch I had 100 rounds of spare 223/556 and 80 rounds of spare 308/762 came in like 20lbs added onto my weight.

I can walk or jog with that in spurts if needed.. also got to pack a 8x8 tarp,med-kit, and some nutri-bars for food though..

Start with what you can carry on your person in case you have to Bug Out on foot. Then(AT LEAST) double that for a vehicular BO. Remember, VBOs can go FBO in a heart beat and you may end up leaving ALOT behind.

Everything beyond VBO is icing for the "Last Stand" cake. The more the better. And ALOT is NEVER enough, then.

In most cases.....be it UN,SWAT or raders....

you would be lucky to change A mag.

But it don't stop me from getting more ammo.

I fig if a fella makes it to my house after SHTF

and I'm dead......he's going to need what i

dident use. LOL

Likely because people are worried, and these post give us all a venue for venting that worry and see that we're not alone in it. Have to admit, I'm starting to give "cut and paste" answers, :lolol:

In reality, we are likely just one day from a SHTF at any given time, anywhere in the world. Until it actually hits. One Gov. f##k up(ie man-made disaster) or a more natural crisis can happen at any time and place.

• Like 3

we should find a central meeting spot for all of us members and our families with that kind of firepower we'd at least be save and have enough ammo

Ya no safer place then one everyone in the world would know about....you know seeing as this is the internet.

I'm more worried about the continuing increase in ammo prices. That's why I always buy it when I can.

I dont just go around buying up all the ammo i see on a whim. But i do also grab it when I see a good deal, or im at academy and think ill be needing a little more.

Just got back from academy earlier. Cleared out their x39,:angel: almost 1k rounds. Its 4.99 but its really not bad, comes out about the same after shipping from all the vendors I use.

I also try and grab several hundred rounds of 12ga every time im in there because i go through it pretty fast trap shooting. I really cant keep a stock of that stuff i shoot it too damn often.

Edited by Chevyman097

we should find a central meeting spot for all of us members and our families with that kind of firepower we'd at least be save and have enough ammo

Ya no safer place then one everyone in the world would know about....you know seeing as this is the internet.

I'm more worried about the continuing increase in ammo prices. That's why I always buy it when I can.

I dont just go around buying up all the ammo i see on a whim. But i do also grab it when I see a good deal, or im at academy and think ill be needing a little more.

Just got back from academy earlier. Cleared out their x39,:angel: almost 1k rounds. Its 4.99 but its really not bad, comes out about the same after shipping from all the vendors I use.

I also try and grab several hundred rounds of 12ga every time im in there because i go through it pretty fast trap shooting. I really cant keep a stock of that stuff i shoot it too damn often.

I was shopping at Academy just before the last Presidential election. I was speaking to the manager and about all of the ammo stacked in the isles. I asked him "what the hell is going on here?" His response was "the election". "You haven't seen my loading dock it's full also".

Yakdung

I buy as much as I can afford to at bulk rates. It saves money now on something that may not be as cheap even a year from now, and I never need to get ammo before a range trip.

Any stockpile for a real drastic SHTF situation is never enough. Even if I don't need my Tens of thousands of rounds of ammo, just think of it's value in that situation!! With No supply of ammo, it is as good as gold, or FOOD! If I need to go on the run I can take as much as I can and go without wishing I had more.

Every year at the gun show I spend my money on bulk ammo.

So my theory is buy as much as you can, then rotate your stock as you go to the range. Having LOTS of ammo also helps keep me going to the range 2x per week.

Everyone has a different opinion on this some people say thousands of rounds for each weapon and some say a lot less, me personally 2-3k for my saiga,1-1.5k 9mm, and maybe 750 to 1000 12ga. this is what I think would be suffecient for food gathering self defense etc. even bartering if you have too. So what is the general consensus on what would be suitable for portability and budget.

in my opinion, you're forgetting the most important round, that being 22 lr for hunting. larger rounds will attract attention. 22 will allow you to feed yourself every day without alerting everyone within an 8 mile radius of you

• Like 1

in my opinion, you're forgetting the most important round, that being 22 lr for hunting. larger rounds will attract attention. 22 will allow you to feed yourself every day without alerting everyone within an 8 mile radius of you

Agreed 100%. I have my stock pile of .22 ammo over 10,000 rounds and it takes up as much space as 2,000 rounds of 7.62x39!! Very useful survival round.

• Like 1

I only have 1 (ONE) bullet for the 1 (ONE) firearm that I own..... :) :)

Umm...all that sounds like to me is that suicide is your answer to anything...unless I am seeing it the wrong way those smiley faces don't belong at the end of that post :unsure:

Edited by CPF
  • Like 1

Agreed 100%. I have my stock pile of .22 ammo over 10,000 rounds and it takes up as much space as 2,000 rounds of 7.62x39!! Very useful survival round.

yea, its a necessity. the need to eat is something youd have to deal with every day.

• Like 1

A complete and workable system in a compromise caliber beats a half assed run dry in a week system that will essentially leave you with a very unwieldy club once your meager ammo is spent or left behind because it was too heavy to carry.

Like RobRez was saying about his 10,000rds of 22lr(he can fit it in the space of 2000rds of rifle ammo). I keep several 50bmg ammo cans full of CCI 22lr in the 100rd containers stacked vertically in each can and another 6 cans with bulk boxed 22lr ammo. I have no idea how much I have because I keep buying it and even right now I need to get 2 more 50bmg cans to store some more in.

You can't have enough 22lr ammo, it is cheap to train with, it has been used to kill every animal in North America in a pinch(including grizzly and polar bears) and if you keep it's limitations in mind it would certainly be adequate for repelling 2 legged predators from behind solid cover.

The IDF originally intended this to be a less lethal(not less than lethal) method for dealing with rioters throwing molotovs and bricks but it proved TOO LETHAL for this purpose and it's widespread use as an intermediate weapon was curtailed.

0003ze.jpg

You can get a 1022 and 10,000rds of 22lr together for the price of a home modded Saiga with no magazines and no ammo.

.22lr--several thousand rounds

5.45--several thousand rounds

.223--several thousand rounds

7.62x39--more than several thousand rounds

7.62x51--more than several several thousand rounds

7.62x54--thousands of rounds