What's the best shot shell for home defense

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remington 3" magnum 15 pellet .00 buckshot out of a Russian mag.   It's nearly 2 ounces of lead coming at the intruder real quickly & it's so common, that an overzelous DA can't call it "an exot

I use my reloads of bird shot #8 1 1/8 ounce load thats like 400+ pellets coming at you at a speed of 1479 FPS. And at 10-20 feet your dead because the average hight of a person is 5-6 feet so your go

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Posted Images

Centurion has a 2-3/4 inch cartridge that has a 65 caliber slug and six #1 buckshot, all in one shell. Muzzle velocity is 1300fps.

On top of this, my unmodified Saiga loves it. I keep my 20 rd drum full, locked and loaded.

MD Arms tells me the spring is good to go indefinitely fully loaded.

I use #4 Buck 3" magnum, cause I want to kill the intruder, not my neighbors.

018.gif

I wouldn't rely on anything smaller than #2.

Nailbomb, well... he nailed it.

If it won't penetrate walls it also will not penetrate BG's. I prefer instant incapacitation over the extreme off chance of a stray shot finding a mark.

I have some Fiocchi #6 that @ 30yrds penetrated the front of a 20yr old diswasher. Ok so it was a few pellet that did. My HD round is blackcloud in either #3 or #4. Those are ment to kill for sure. I believe those are 1600fps.

Edited by montec

Shooting a big hole in wall board and or a washer doesn't have anything to do with shooting a person

and having them incapacitated or dead before they can kill you. Please read up and look what the experts

are saying. Number 6 birdshot is not made for shooting people! If you want to risk your life with a round

that will not get the job done, that's your business, but recommending something that can cost someone else

there life is irresponsible. There is no magic bullet it has to penetrate enough to get the job done, which means

it can go through sheet rock.

• Like 1

I use my reloads of bird shot #8 1 1/8 ounce load thats like 400+ pellets coming at you at a speed of 1479 FPS. And at 10-20 feet your dead because the average hight of a person is 5-6 feet so your going to either get it in the head or the neck or both.

I hear ya'. Most of my range would be 10 feet or so in my house

It's a Saiga. Load up 12 rounds in the magazine and quadruple tap that intruder with bird shot.

Shooting a big hole in wall board and or a washer doesn't have anything to do with shooting a person

and having them incapacitated or dead before they can kill you. Please read up and look what the experts

are saying. Number 6 birdshot is not made for shooting people! If you want to risk your life with a round

that will not get the job done, that's your business, but recommending something that can cost someone else

there life is irresponsible. There is no magic bullet it has to penetrate enough to get the job done, which means

I wasn't recommending I was just stating what I think will be the best for me. Like I said 1500fps is a hot load to me and my plan is that new blackcould stuff thats got those cutting edges on them and they are about 16-1700fps. Either way They will be getting 5rds dumped into them as fast as I pull the trigger and if there are multiple I've got my p95 ready to go with 90rds in mags. and 6rds in my 30-30 too. but thats gotta be one hell of a swat team.

Edited by montec

I wasn't recommending I was just stating what I think will be the best for me. Like I said 1500fps is a hot load to me and my plan is that new blackcould stuff thats got those cutting edges on them and they are about 16-1700fps. Either way They will be getting 5rds dumped into them as fast as I pull the trigger and if there are multiple I've got my p95 ready to go with 90rds in mags. and 6rds in my 30-30 too. but thats gotta be one hell of a swat team.

Good on ya for the 90 rounds for the P95, but as for the rest, that's ALL you got?

I'm not as experienced as most of the people on here, but birdshot from 10' away leaves a big (5" diameter?) hole through 3/4" pressboard. If it can do that, it seems like it'd stop any intruder. Also you shouldn't have to worry about neighbors w/ that.

Sorry, but you are wrong. "Pressboard" is incredibly fragile as far as sharp blows go, flesh acts COMPLETELY different.

Can birdshot kill a human? Yes, will it do it reliably? No...

Just ask Dick Cheney, he shot a man in the face with birdshot and that guy was fine, a little scarring but that's it.

You can't guarantee the range or the angle that you will shoot an intruder at, those values will always remain variables. Me? Well, I live in a brick house, I use 0 Buck and 00 Buck in my shotguns. Nothing fancy, just a good, proven, penetrating round. Between the S-12 with a 10 round AGP, the Mossberg 500 with 8 loaded and 11 on saddles, the 1911 with 230 grain +P .45 ACP Winchester Ranger Talons (33 rounds), the .40 S&W Sigma with four loaded mags of 180 grain hollow points (57), the SKS loaded with 20 rounds of hollow points and another 20 round mag of steel core, and the AR-15 with 4 loaded mags (120 rounds) with most of those weapons equipped with 100+ lumen white lights, my side of the bed is protected...

The wife has her double-barrel 12 gauge (0 Buck) and her Sig P238 and two mags.

There are a few more weapons that get loaded up too but I won't bore you with those details.

You can never know exactly what will happen in any given situation. It helps to be prepared for just about any scenario...

• Like 1

I've got some super high velocity 1600FPS 2 3/4" BB bird shot, which i believe is a .18 Cal pellet, its serious business i know its technically bird shot but with 54 .18 pellets at the speed, it will defiantly shred flesh and in all likely hood, instant kill. number 4 buck is 6mm, as opposed to 4.54 for the BB,

and i have some full power 00 nickle plated buck shot, interchanging in a Md 20, with a hollow point 2 3/4 inch slug on top for first round decimation for home defense, because i don't live near anyone and i don't have any dependents i'd problem just spray toward any noise and i like the 54 .18 balls because for my money, its going to be pretty hard to miss with that much lead coming out of the barrel, i almost want to take to slug out of the top, but that's in there in case i can wake up when there still at a door and i want to know it will go through easy and instant kill.

Edited by Joebanks

What would actually help is if someone took a couple of pork/beef sides out to a range and then surveyed the damage based upon the ammunition and range to target. People and pork bellies are two different things though. Personally, I'd rather cook the sides so I'm not planning to conduct this experiment anytime soon.

For those who live in states where there aren't castle laws and sentiment favors the "victim" (AKA- intruder)... birdshot may be your best friend. You could seriously wound the perp and potentially escape a manslaughter charge. I'm sure you could subdue most intruders with significant wounding. The exception might be those high on drugs like PCP. But then again, if you take their vision- it'll be hard for them to see you enough to get you.

Aim high. ;)

Edited by Vulcan
You can never know exactly what will happen in any given situation. It helps to be prepared for just about any scenario...

My DPMS Panther Classic 20" with hollow points has held that responsibility for years.

My concern is that I have bedrooms on the second floor and first floor and they are on opposite ends of the house. I don't want rounds traveling through my subfloors and into the kids rooms.

Good on ya for the 90 rounds for the P95, but as for the rest, that's ALL you got?

Thats all I have. the S12 and the 30-30 where this years purchases. Next in line is a SCAR-H, then a Barrett.

Thats all I have. the S12 and the 30-30 where this years purchases. Next in line is a SCAR-H, then a Barrett.

Sorry I didn't put the smiley in there, I was joking around with ya. SCAR-H, huh? That's pretty cool, expensive as all hell but cool.

My DPMS Panther Classic 20" with hollow points has held that responsibility for years.

My concern is that I have bedrooms on the second floor and first floor and they are on opposite ends of the house. I don't want rounds traveling through my subfloors and into the kids rooms.

With the .223 tumbling once it hits something, I highly doubt that the rounds would make it through the subfloors unless it's fired straight up from below. I understand the trepidation though because it COULD happen. It's highly unlikely but it could...

Now a superior penetrating round like the 7.62x39 or bigger would really warrant worrying about over-penetration.

That's why I'm glad that I have the set-up that I have. The three doors that you can enter the house with are on one side of the house and the bedrooms are on the other with my bedroom separating them. With the dogs in the main living rooms we'll have plenty of warning that something is wrong long before someone could make it into the kids' rooms. While we don't yet have kids, I'm glad that we have this set-up because all I have to do is "hold the line" and never worry about shooting in the direction of children.

Back on topic of the thread, I don't understand why everyone wants some super-exotic and highly expensive ammo that may or may not work as advertised for home defense when there is a proven, reliable round that has been proven for defense for decades. Fact of the matter is though, if you've tested it, and you are comfortable with it's performance then use it, but don't be surprised if the birdshot doesn't put someone down...

• Like 2

Remington Express Magnum 00 Buck out of a Winchester pump. I'm not as concerned about overpenetration as I am about stopping, rather than killing the intruder. If he dies from his injuries, then its purely incidental.

With the .223 tumbling once it hits something, I highly doubt that the rounds would make it through the subfloors unless it's fired straight up from below. I understand the trepidation though because it COULD happen. It's highly unlikely but it could...

Now a superior penetrating round like the 7.62x39 or bigger would really warrant worrying about over-penetration.

That's why I'm glad that I have the set-up that I have. The three doors that you can enter the house with are on one side of the house and the bedrooms are on the other with my bedroom separating them. With the dogs in the main living rooms we'll have plenty of warning that something is wrong long before someone could make it into the kids' rooms. While we don't yet have kids, I'm glad that we have this set-up because all I have to do is "hold the line" and never worry about shooting in the direction of children.

Back on topic of the thread, I don't understand why everyone wants some super-exotic and highly expensive ammo that may or may not work as advertised for home defense when there is a proven, reliable round that has been proven for defense for decades. Fact of the matter is though, if you've tested it, and you are comfortable with it's performance then use it, but don't be surprised if the birdshot doesn't put someone down...

Well stated, Caged.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

For those of you that think bird shot will do the trick, read," Best choices for self defense ammo". The article

was written by Dr. Gary Roberts who has done extensive testing with all the ammo he recommends. If you want a

reliable killer round for a shotgun that tends not to over penetrate, the number one buck is according to the

doctor the smallest buckshot that will penetrate at least 12" and get the job done reliably. The only problem

is its kind of hard to find. For those of us that worry more about killing bad guys before they kill us, 00

buck will definately leave a mark! As Jeff Foxworthy says if you want to know what kind of gun lives in my house

just crawl through the window after dark and I will be glad to show you!!

I think that what needs to be considered is that you are responsible both criminally and civilly for every projectile that leaves your weapon. Shooting 00 buckshot is like firing a quick volley of .32 caliber bullets that spread out as your distance the target increases. The typical room size is about 12'. If a shot is taken at this distance and is well centered on the target, all pellets should hit center mass. If the aim is slightly off or the distance is greater, there is the increasing possibility of pellets missing the target. Keep in mind also that stress levels, lighting and other factors may affect your aim. This is equivalent to missed .32 caliber shots.

Slugs are powerful penetrating rounds. While assigned to the Honolulu Police Training Academy before retiring I attended a class which afforded us the opportunity to shoot a variety of firearms at different targets to allow us to see penetration. The power of the shotgun slug amazed me. We shot through car doors and the slugs penetrated both doors through the safety beams and exited the second door cleanly. A slug shot could over penetrate and continue on.

I guess my point is that we have a responsibility not only to protect ourselves and family but to also assure that no errant projectiles injure them or innocent neighbors should there be a miss. We have a responsibility to select ammunition that is not only capable of stopping a perpetrator but to also do so with minimal risk to innocent. In the perfect world, the bigger the better, kill them twice! Unfortunately in the real world we have to be more responsible and compromise.

Edited by 5-0

I think that what needs to be considered is that you are responsible both criminally and civilly for every projectile that leaves your weapon. Shooting 00 buckshot is like firing a quick volley of .32 caliber bullets that spread out as your distance the target increases. The typical room size is about 12'. If a shot is taken at this distance and is well centered on the target, all pellets should hit center mass. If the aim is slightly off or the distance is greater, there is an increasing possibility of pellets missing the target. Add in stress, lighting and other factors that may affect your aim and the possibility of misses increases. Missed shotgun pellets are equivalent to missed individual .32 caliber shots.

Slugs are powerful penetrating rounds. While assigned to the Honolulu Police Training Academy before retiring I attended a class which afforded us the opportunity to shoot a variety of firearms at different targets to allow us to see penetration. The power of the shotgun slug amazed me. We shot through car doors and the slugs penetrated both doors through the safety beams and exited the second door cleanly. A slug shot could over penetrate and continue on.

I guess my point is that we have a responsibility not only to protect ourselves and family but to also assure that no errant projectiles injure them or innocent neighbors should there be a miss. We have a responsibility to select ammunition that is not only capable of stopping a perpetrator but to also do so with safety of the innocent. In the perfect world, the bigger the better, kill them twice! Unfortunately in the real world we have to be more responsible and compromise.

I think that what needs to be considered is that you are responsible both criminally and civilly for every projectile that leaves your weapon. Shooting 00 buckshot is like firing a quick volley of .32 caliber bullets that spread out as your distance the target increases. The typical room size is about 12'. If a shot is taken at this distance and is well centered on the target, all pellets should hit center mass. If the aim is slightly off or the distance is greater, there is the increasing possibility of pellets missing the target. Keep in mind also that stress levels, lighting and other factors may affect your aim. This is equivalent to missed .32 caliber shots.

I guess my point is that we have a responsibility not only to protect ourselves and family but to also assure that no errant projectiles injure them or innocent neighbors should there be a miss. We have a responsibility to select ammunition that is not only capable of stopping a perpetrator but to also do so with minimal risk to innocent. In the perfect world, the bigger the better, kill them twice! Unfortunately in the real world we have to be more responsible and compromise.

Very true.

I'd like to add in some real world numbers.

The average bedroom is about 12' long, like you state. I will NOT have my back up against the wall when I fire because there is furniture in the way, like most bedrooms... So, given an average distance of 2' from the wall plus a 2' long shotgun we're looking at a distance of 9' at the most, from the guy upon firing the weapon. I got to 9' because most hallways are around 3' wide and no one walks up against the wall, rather they walk in the middle of the hallway, this being an instance where the perpetrator could know that you are armed he will definitely NOT be up against the wall furthest from the door...

At these distances, if you have a light equipped on your weapon and you put the center of that beam on his chest you WILL hit with all of the pellets. The light, if used properly and bright enough, will disorient your attacker and give you a second or so to assess whether he is a threat or not along with helping you aim.

I agree that you must know your target and what's beyond it before you fire, that's why you kinda have to think of this stuff beforehand and have a general plan as to where you intend to position yourself for a self-defense shot.

In my case, I've positioned the bed where if I stand right beside it on my side, I'm looking directly out of my bedroom door at the door to my water heater closet. That water heater is old anyway... :lolol:

When I lived in an apartment complex, I chose to load up the shotgun with the same shells as I have now, it wasn't then, nor is it now, my go-to weapon. My pistol loaded with frangible ammo was. Now, my "go-to" is a Colt 1911 loaded with Ranger Talons. I'm not worried about over-penetration because the expanded slug will be hitting 40 gallons of water.

The point is that everyone of us here must assess our own situations and decided accordingly. While in that apartment complex, I would have defended myself with a Barret .50 cal if it was all that I had (Ha! I wish!) but would know that someone else could get hurt.

If you are worried about over-penetration, choose a lesser round, but with that said, I wouldn't ever advise anyone to use birdshot for defense unless they are defending themselves against birds. :lolol:

Ummmmm....NOT in FLORIDA!

Please Google the "Stand Your Ground" law in FL and you will change your post to read, " you are responsible both criminally and civilly for every projectile that leaves your weapon.....but NOT in Florida!".

We have the right to use DEADLY FORCE if we are in fear for our life OR great bodily harm. FL is one of the best states in the country in which to be a gun owner! If somebody comes into my home, they will be greeted by SEVEN (7) rounds of #4 buckshot, and the best part is that I have the law on my side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FTS

Please Google the "Stand Your Ground" law in FL and you will change your post to read, " you are responsible both criminally and civilly for every projectile that leaves your weapon.....but NOT in Florida!".

We have the right to use DEADLY FORCE if we are in fear for our life OR great bodily harm. FL is one of the best states in the country in which to be a gun owner! If somebody comes into my home, they will be greeted by SEVEN (7) rounds of #4 buckshot, and the best part is that I have the law on my side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FTS

WRONG!!! While deadly force is authorized on the person who puts you in fear for your life, if your neighbor or somebody walking down the street is struck by one of your projectiles you are responsible. That was the point of his post.

FTS

WRONG!!! While deadly force is authorized on the person who puts you in fear for your life, if your neighbor or somebody walking down the street is struck by one of your projectiles you are responsible. That was the point of his post.

WATCH YOUR BACKGROUND!!!!!!!!:haha:

That is the first thing that they teach us in our CCW class! It's COMMON SENSE!!!!!

FTS

We have the right to use DEADLY FORCE if we are in fear for our life OR great bodily harm. FL is one of the best states in the country in which to be a gun owner! If somebody comes into my home, they will be greeted by SEVEN (7) rounds of #4 buckshot, and the best part is that I have the law on my side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

FTS

If you think that you can blast away (anywhere in the U.S.) and not be accountable for any stray rounds you are sadly mistaken. You will be held liable both criminally and civilly. I never said that you don't have the right to shoot an intruder. I said that you are responsible for any accidental shooting of innocent bystanders by missed rounds. In most States when shooting an intruder the burden of proof is on you to show that you were in imminent danger and/or you had no where to retreat. Yes the law is many times on the side of the criminals and I have seen homeowners protecting their homes charged with the shootings. Ludicrous? I agree! My opinion is if they intrude into your domain you should be able to deal with them but these laws are what they are. This is why you hear "after shooting them put a knife or gun in their hand". You best check carefully into what the law of your state truly is.

Reading the Florida "Stand your ground" law, it is very progressive. Most states don't have such an easily determinable burden of proof by the resident. As said earlier, most states leave the burden of proof on the resident to prove that they were in imminent danger and/or had no where to retreat. They give the criminal every opportunity and leave the resident a precarious choice.

Edited by 5-0