How many lines of home defense?

I obsess about securing my home. I put in more secure doors, better more secure windows, better lighting and motion detecting security lights at all entrances, some shooting time and a handgun for my wife, some protection work with my dog, etc.. I'm starting to look into the security cameras that will record to a harddrive in the house and can be accessed with my mobile phone. Anyways some people would say all of this is overkill, but I have fun with it and it makes us feel safer. Anyways I'd like to hear if any of you have the same obsessions.

Here is a picture of my 3 last lines of defense :)

Security2.jpg

I have a home security system and a large dog that rarely barks unless there is something or someone outside and in the yard. Aside from that, I keep my wife's 10.5" SBR beside the bed with a set of goggles and leave all of the lights off inside and outside. If I hear anything.... naked or not, I'm out of the bed, no lights turn on, and I am outside in seconds.

I have a home security system and a large dog that rarely barks unless there is something or someone outside and in the yard. Aside from that, I keep my wife's 10.5" SBR beside the bed with a set of goggles and leave all of the lights off inside and outside. If I hear anything.... naked or not, I'm out of the bed, no lights turn on, and I am outside in seconds.

I feel sorry for the guy lurking around your house. lol.

One 'amusing' idea: Rose bushes outside/under your windows. If you need to leave through a window in a hurry, you're not going to care about the rose thorns, but they make it mighty uncomfortable to try to get *in* through a window. Ever since I mentioned the idea at my Dad's, there have been a couple new rose bushes every spring. Dad's a serious pacifist, but doesn't seem to mind a little help from Ma Nature.

Buy a house that is NOT on anyone's way to or from anything!

The best defense is a quiet neighborhood that is not on a thru street,next to a bus stop or within a mile of a liquor store or 7-11!

And for DAMN sure do not ever live within easy walking distance from a middle or high school!! NEVER let the outside appearance of your place stand out as having the most or best stuff to steal!

Follow the above rules and you will reduce the chance of a home invasion or burglary to almost nothing! That old "ounce of protection".

Plant rose bushes and osage orange under windows but do not leave room for bad guys to hide behind them. For larger property lines plant a double row of wild pear trees! Inside and out, keep clear lines of sight (and fire!) Outside lights on motion detectors game cameras or video are the shit! Pin first floor windows so they only open 4" for ventilation on nice evenings BUT whatever you do:DO NOT make it hard to get OUT of your home! bars on windows or windows nailed shut are more likely to trap you and your family in a burning home than to keep bad guys out!

The second line of defense is a gun, a dog and common sense!

• Like 1

Frankly I dont want to lose any of my weapons! :) jk but I know what you're saying. I hadn't thought of the rose bushes - not a bad idea! I think i'll do this in the spring.

We already live in a nice low-crime area in a good location (not a through street, well-lit, etc..) but I still like to be exta safe. Keep the ideas coming!

Reminds me of:

post-17871-0-76854700-1323160549.gif

• Like 2

Imagine a robber sneaking around and all of a sudden a naked man with goggles and an sbr is staring you down outside! Pucker.

There would be no question of whether or not I was serious.

I caught a guy about 10 years ago and slapped him off of his feet with an open hand. He cried and I was laughing too hard to finish kicking his ass. He staggered off and I never saw him around here again. He was rattled.

Reminds me of:

post-17871-0-76854700-1323160549.gif

It is amazing how scary a naked man can be eyes_droped.gif

• Like 1

A five foot or taller fence with a locked gate is a great security device, not because it can keep everyone from going over it, but because it automatically screens the good guys from the bad guys for you so you know that anyone inside of that fence has already illegally trespassed and is a threat. Allowing strangers to get all the way to your front door under the guise of being totally innocent puts you at a real disadvantage. When somebody comes calling at my place they can get as close as 100 feet from my house and still be a "good guy". However, they are already a good 200 feet inside my property line, so they still need a good reason to be there. Any closer than the front gate without my permission and I probably already have them in my sights. My point is.....slow them down, cause them to alert you to their presence, and avoid surprises.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 1

Dogman, I know many people that have a similar setup, and at the gate have a small mail box marked "leave me a note". That way no one has an excuse to enter in an effort to "contact you". A locked gate works, but removing excuses is also good.

• Like 2

Do not use any weapon for protection that you do not want to lose.

Yakdung

I've heard stories of people of not getting back their guns from the police after shooting someone during a home invasion. As far as the validity behind that goes i couldnt tell ya. But at the end of the day if its my life or the gun ill risk losing the weapon

Dogman, I know many people that have a similar setup, and at the gate have a small mail box marked "leave me a note". That way no one has an excuse to enter in an effort to "contact you". A locked gate works, but removing excuses is also good.

That's not a bad idea. I have a "doorbell" they can push and if I don't answer it (whether I'm actually there or not) they have no excuse for coming over the fence anyway. The gate is a remote controlled one with an automatic lock so I don't ever forget to lock it. I had the iron gate custom made 6 foot tall with spikes on top and a howling dog design in the center so hopefully that conveys the right message. smile.png

Do not use any weapon for protection that you do not want to lose.

Yakdung

I've heard stories of people of not getting back their guns from the police after shooting someone during a home invasion. As far as the validity behind that goes i couldnt tell ya. But at the end of the day if its my life or the gun ill risk losing the weapon

Agreed. The object of the game is to stay alive long enough to wish you had your gun back. If that happens, you win. That being said, I think you have to really screw up somewhere in order to never see that gun again if you really want it back.

Easy, here's my HD

1. Live in the forests, driveway made to look like logging road

2. 100+ (can't let you know how many exactly it comprisimises security) Land mined 360 approach, road is also a deathtrap, 40+ pound conical mines

3. dummy shack, also mined

4. Underground home 20ft deep, 2ton 4inch steel door with hydraulic actuator

5. 20 years of food storage

6. water pump line directly into the table

7. tons of ammo and Ak/M16 style weapons

oh and the steel door can be charged with a lethal amount of electricity if needed.

the only thing is i feel like i'm not safe, i feel so under prepared.

anyone got any suggestions?

• Like 1

Personally, my first line works as a very good deterent. Everyone thinks twice about entering after they find one of the first.

post-10574-0-71885500-1323222043.jpg

I don't know, I think there's a good chance most dumb criminals would say" Geez, I better not trip over that sprinkler".haha.gif

Three trained heelers and an incredibly bright security light that senses someone on the sidewalk but doesn't sense passing cars. We also have a 210 degree peep hole in the door so that I can tell if someone is hiding on either side of the door before I open it. The front door is solid wood with a dead-bolt that is always locked. I realize that this won't stop someone who is really determined but it will let me know of their intentions since my holster is so comfortable that I carry my 5" Colt 1911 even when I'm in my own home. Then of course there's the Saiga-12, the Mossberg 500, the wife's pistol, my other pistol, the AR, and the SKS. The gates to the backyard are bolted and locked. If you're in there, it's because you have bad intentions...

We live in a good neighborhood with a few retirees and some independently wealthy folks so we don't have the nicest shit on the block but we have neighbors who are home most of the time. The wife and I also have four cars and my company supplied vehicle. It always looks like someone is here even when no one is. I've also been known to leave the TV on and a random light on in the home so that it looks like someone is home. The wife also rotates out which vehicles she drives to work so that the batteries stay charged and fluids stay circulated. You'd have to watch us for a complete 24 hour period to know whether someone was here or not and I believe that I'd notice if someone were watching me that much...

Plus, I put a small sticker on the door that says "Colt" nothing ostentatious, just a small sticker. I find that the smaller cues to danger speak larger volumes that other large signs that seem to "bluff..."

Easy, here's my HD

1. Live in the forests, driveway made to look like logging road

2. 100+ (can't let you know how many exactly it comprisimises security) Land mined 360 approach, road is also a deathtrap, 40+ pound conical mines

3. dummy shack, also mined

4. Underground home 20ft deep, 2ton 4inch steel door with hydraulic actuator

5. 20 years of food storage

6. water pump line directly into the table

7. tons of ammo and Ak/M16 style weapons

oh and the steel door can be charged with a lethal amount of electricity if needed.

the only thing is i feel like i'm not safe, i feel so under prepared.

anyone got any suggestions?

Haha I would guess that you're stretching the truth just a bit on some of those points, but then again there are some people that have lots of money to spend. That is quite a dream house though!