JB weld bullet guide

Hey all!

Am coming up on getting and converting a 5.45 saiga soon and am doing some homework...

anyone use JB weld to secure their bullet guide?

thanks again!

I say this as I have found a kind of JB weld called 'Industro-weld' the properties are here:

Properties (psi)

Tensile Strength:3960

Adhesion:1800

Flex Strength:7320

Tensile Lap Shear:1040

Shrinkage:0.0%

Resistant to:500° F

I would think these limits are well within what occurs inside an AK receiver :)

I'm not saying it wouldn't work but I'd keep away from holding any key component in feeding rounds to the rifle being held only by an epoxy. It'd be best to drill and tap it and hold it in with a screw secured with red loctite, if the bullet guide comes loose or comes off completely the gun won't cycle right and that never happens at a convenient time..

• Like 1

Why not just drill, tap and secure with machine screw/red loctite? Little more work but, not all that difficult. Dinzag sells the whole kit...drill bit, tap and all. I would prefer a mechanical attachment over a chemical bond any day. Unless its a tooth fillingbiggrin.png

ahhaha, Echo we must have been typing at the same time.

Not going to say that it wouldn't work, but imagine two small pieces of metal joined together with a bit of JB Weld, then tap one piece from the side with a mallot several thousand times - such is the environment the bullet guide is in. Not sure if that JB Weld would hold up under those conditions.

Actually I'm surprised that someone hasn't made some sort of jig that would fit under the trunnion, between the receiver and trunnion, to support a rivet so that the bullet guide could be riveted in without removing the trunnion.

Edited by mancat

anyone use JB weld to secure their bullet guide?

No.. and I don't intend to try, but I have fixed an insane amount of things with JB Weld. I think it would work. If it was for a range toy, a gun you'd never be depending on to defend yourself or do any serious work with then I'd try it just for the hell of it. I'd bet it works fine and you never have a problem.

If it was a gun I planned on counting on.. I'd never feel 100% about it though. Well.. not for a few years anyway ; )

JB weld, duct-tape, and chewing gum should only be part a back-up plan "B", not plan "A".

I wouldn't rule out using it for certain "non-critical" areas on a gun though. IMHO

I did know someone who mounted a heavy fire-extenguisher to a metal "I" beam with aircraft-grade epoxy and it's still there.

Epoxy is used extensively in aerospace, but they don't use it in place of screws or rivets.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did JB Weld my first bullet guide, but only to test it for function, with the intention of drilling and tapping, securing with a screw. I was surprised at how well it worked, went through a full range workout with it, still solid. I had the hole already drilled in the guide, and only needed to drill the hole through the receiver, tap and install screw.

So there is no doubt it will work, I proved that. The question is how long it would hold up without cracking or coming loose. That being the case, I would not use as a permanent fix.

• Like 1