S-12 Retaining Plate Won't Go In

I've tried and tried and for the life of me I just cannot get this thing to go in. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know. I installed the hammer and spring first, then the FCG, and the selector last. I put the selector leg (?) through the right side of the receiver.( I cut a notch in the BHO to make this easier)

I get the selector leg through the hole in the retaining plate, but can't get it through the one in the receiver because it sits slightly lower. So I push down on the selector leg as hard as I can while at same time pushing inward on the selector from the opposite side of the receiver, but no luck.

Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

I helped my brother convert his S-12 last weekend, and we had the same problem. Turns out the CSS retainer (and I had an extra, so we tried two of them with the same result) hangs down too low on the bottom, and hits the corner of the receiver where it is bent, and won't fully engage the pins. I removed a little bit of metal from the bottom edge of the retaining plate, and it went in fine after that.

• Like 3

I've also had the same problem in the past with 2 s-12s. Forcing it wont help. I learned that the plate has to fit in just right in both of mine. You may have it too close to the receiver. Try moving it a little to towards the hammer till it wants to go down and forward. Sometimes the coil on the hammer spring can get in the way too

I helped my brother convert his S-12 last weekend, and we had the same problem. Turns out the CSS retainer (and I had an extra, so we tried two of them with the same result) hangs down too low on the bottom, and hits the corner of the receiver where it is bent, and won't fully engage the pins. I removed a little bit of metal from the bottom edge of the retaining plate, and it went in fine after that.

Had the same issue. Once trimmed a bit it works good.

Toughest part of my conversion as well. Dang plate was supposed to make things easier!

Now, I'll know for next time to just look through after seating it, and if it rides to high to just dremmel it down a little. It didn't take much, and now everything snaps together just like the grown-up lego that it is!

Had the same problem with the CSS plate as well. I spent a few hours and coudn't get it right. It was driving me crazy because I had previously used one on an AK conversion and it snapped right in. Finally gave up and installed the Tromix Shepards Crook I got with the FCG. It only took 15 minutes or so to install. It's actually pretty easy when you figure out how to do it.

• 3 months later...

Does the CSS plate referenced for the Saiga12 function with all trigger groups? Looking into one of the conversion kits and wondered if it worked with Tromix FCG. The Tromix comes with a shepherds crook, but was curious if the CSS plate worked as well with it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Does the CSS plate referenced for the Saiga12 function with all trigger groups? Looking into one of the conversion kits and wondered if it worked with Tromix FCG. The Tromix comes with a shepherds crook, but was curious if the CSS plate worked as well with it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes. The plate secures the hammer and trigger pins so as long as your chosen FCG group uses the original pins (they all do, I believe) then you're good to go.

Thanks for the info Tim.....Then I'll likely order one: for the price it's not like an extravagance.

The paperwork says it was manufactured on 12/18/2011, at Izmash. I've had it 3 days.......

Edited by piwo

I'm about ready to order a conversion kit from CSS. Should I also order this plate also for the conversion? Any other recommended parts I should get?

It's been a while since I ordered parts (before they came in kits) from CSS so I don't know what comes in them. If a sheppards crook or plate isn't included then you will need one or the other. That is, unless you use e-clips (a pain) or just modify the factory spring. I used to use plates but now just modify the factory spring.

If your kit has a Tapco G2 FCG then it doesn't come with a disconnector spring. You can use the one out of the factory assembly or just spend a buck on one from CSS. That's easier.

The kit does come with the sheppards crook. I didnt know if I should use the plate instead of the hook. Which one would be better?

Neither does a better job, they both work fine. To me at least, it's a matter of ease of assembly vs cost. The plate is the easiest to install but costs the most. The crook is cheapest (unless you really want to mess with e-clips and I don't) but more difficult to get in correctly. Some people end up bending them beyond use. Installation difficulty of a modified factory spring is between the two and it's free. That's why I use it.

Purists prefer the crook as that was the original retention method. Others (myself included) prefer the plate as it makes assembly a breeze. Your call.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Tim.....Then I'll likely order one: for the price it's not like an extravagance.

The paperwork says it was manufactured on 12/18/2011, at Izmash. I've had it 3 days.......

Congrats on your new gun. I think you'll love it. However, I would strongly recommend running it stock for a while before jumping into the conversion. That gives you a baseline of comparison for when you do start to modify it and odds are you may have some issues once it is modified. The most common problem seems to be unreliable cycling of low brass shells after conversion.

Anyway, there are countless stickies and threads on the subject here so you've come to the right place.

The paperwork says it was manufactured on 12/18/2011, at Izhmash. I've had it 3 days.......

Congrats on your new gun. I think you'll love it. However, I would strongly recommend running it stock for a while before jumping into the conversion. That gives you a baseline of comparison for when you do start to modify it and odds are you may have some issues once it is modified. The most common problem seems to be unreliable cycling of low brass shells after conversion.

Anyway, there are countless stickies and threads on the subject here so you've come to the right place.

Good point. I've been lurking and reading and I guess I should do that very thing. Honestly the only time I envision using any "low brass" or less than full loads in this is to break it in. I'll be using this for a "home defense" and coyote shotgun when hunting on some Public lands here with "shotgun only" restrictions. Well, not until I find a gunsmith to build me a threaded barrel extension as I doubt the short barrel will be practice for the later use. All in all it's a nice tool that I have very specific goals in mind. I don't shoot shotguns and magnum loaded rifles for recreation anymore, only for purpose (hunting, defense). 6 shoulder operations have taken the fun out of shooting large bore rifle and shotgun loads for fun. I'm new here but not to the shooting sports and all the "proper hold" techniques in the world are moot when your joints are shot and have been oft cut on! mellow.png

Thanks for the good info and tips. I've no "low brass" kit so probably get some 3 inch shells and go punish myself as a benchmark this weekend! Hmm... I wonder what my eldest's fiancé is doing Saturday biggrin.png

Apologies if this has been a bit of a hijack. The plate is going to be something I get, when I get to installing it I'll post a report. Since this is a fairly recent production weapon (less than 6 months from the line) it might be a good litmus test.

Edited by piwo

I'm a shepard by trade so it was a no brainer for me.

I used a fucking retaining plate and had no problem getting it in.

But then again I'm also old and could probably row a boat with a rope so go figure.

• 1 month later...

I just finished my conversion for the first time. I am still waiting for a retaining plate, but got impatient so I put in the Shepherds crook. I figured out an easy way to install it. I will try to explain it the best I can...

-After putting in the trigger, and bho, I put in the shepherds crook and lock it into place on the rear axis pin (used a punch to push it all the way in)

-then I put in the front axis pin through the hole just barely and let it rest on top of the shepherds crook. Then I put in the hammer and push the axis pin all the way through (it will almost go all the way). Next I took the punch and pushed down on the shepherds crook while pushing on the axis pin, that will lock it into place.

Hope this helps.

I had the same exact f-ing problem with my first conversion. I ended up drilling the damn plate to line up the holes correctly. Then later, when the shotgun wouldn't cycle, I discovered the top part of the plate was rubbing the bottom of the bolt carrier enough to cause cycling issues. So I ground that son of a batch down and bingo, I suddenly had the S12 from Hell! Has functioned 100% since then with all ammo, even the crappy Wallyworld Universal Win.