Side Folder Latch for S-12?

I've checked with AK-Builder and can't seem to find a polymer side folding stock front latch for the S-12. Anyone have any idea where I might find one?

Also, when buying a poly stock and folding trunnion, which one do I want? I know there are several models out there, but I am unsure which one has a trunnion with holes that will line up with the scope rail hole and remain flush with the rear of the receiver wall. Any input would be most welcome!

I've checked with AK-Builder and can't seem to find a polymer side folding stock front latch for the S-12. Anyone have any idea where I might find one?

that's the only place I know to get one

Also, when buying a poly stock and folding trunnion, which one do I want? I know there are several models out there, but I am unsure which one has a trunnion with holes that will line up with the scope rail hole and remain flush with the rear of the receiver wall. Any input would be most welcome!

I would just get anyone that's available before some fool with $ buys them all up for himself which is usually the case and then when people actually need them, they are gone. They're should only be two styles available, us made and Russian. Get the Russian one that says it comes with all the necessary hardware. There a link on my profile

Edited by AZG
  • 1 month later...

I have not had any luck finding a front latch for the folding butt stock either from Cobra (says he's looking to have some made). There is also a guy on gunbroker selling the standard latch who tells me he might make some in a few weeks. In the meantime I have been in the garage with my Dremel tool and files and I made this... unfortunately it is probably too soft to use. The dimensions are hard to figure from the photos folks have posted because of the perspective and lack of scale.

IMG_4749.jpg

Dude... if you did that with a dremel tool, I officially give my tip of the hat to you.

Wow.

I have not had any luck finding a front latch for the folding butt stock either from Cobra (says he's looking to have some made). There is also a guy on gunbroker selling the standard latch who tells me he might make some in a few weeks. In the meantime I have been in the garage with my Dremel tool and files and I made this... unfortunately it is probably too soft to use. The dimensions are hard to figure from the photos folks have posted because of the perspective and lack of scale.

Heat treat it!

Dude... if you did that with a dremel tool, I officially give my tip of the hat to you.

Wow.

Heat treat it!

The Dremel tool is very useful. It's a rare week I don't use it for something or another.

I might try heat treating it. I wonder if the gas stove can heat it that much...

map gas is the way to go unless you have a kiln. get it red hot. just past red, actually, towards orange. the immediately drop it in a 5 gal bucket of water. now it's hard, but brittle. temper it to add some toughness back. temper by heating to a blueish purple, not any more and let it air cool.

that's about as close as you'll get without knowing the exact material and looking up the proper temperatures and using kiln with precise temp control.

Several of the pros have said they they are a bitch to install on a S12. But they would be cool if you have the skill to do it.

It really isn't that bad, but I don't know anyone else around here that does it. No shops, no DIYs....

It takes a good eye, patience, and balls. A lot can go wrong though. I don't personally know anyone that could nail it first time. I did, but it wasn't fast. Now, a few hours on the weekend and another S12 is looking slick ;) I've been wanting to do a Draco, but can't find one for a reasonable price. I have some Russian 5.5mm triangles put back for a SBR Draco, maybe another Saiga 12 SBS, and maybe a 5.45 Saiga conversion if I don't just outright buy an Arsenal. Someday.... I won't be able to think of what else I might want.... that will be a good day ;)

Really, most 'smiths around here view AKs and S12s as communist pieces of shit that aren't worth putting any money or effort into.

Acually the rear truniun is a bigger commitment, the front latch although has to be located precisely, around the magwell, behind the magwell retaining stud, with the proper deminsions it is doable for most serious DIYers

I feel we are seeing a new breed of saiga 12 owners that are realizing they have the campibility to do great things.

What I cannot stand to hear is when a business owner comes back and says you will mess it up and I fix messups all day and they cost mega bucks for fix.

If your good with a tig most mistakes can be retified. I have allways tried to motivate peole to DIY, obiviuosly if you have no skills in these area's seek profeesional help.

• Like 2

When I was a newb, I was told by many here that I would fuck my shit up and I should send it out to a "pro". Then people called BS on me when I said I could fire 100 rounds of low brass with MD-20 drums.... and I shot my first 100 round low brass dump video a week later. What now bitches? ;)

I think it has a lot to do with the things that I pull off on a grande scale. These weapons are child's play compared what I do on a regular basis.

• Like 2

When I was a newb, I was told by many here that I would fuck my shit up and I should send it out to a "pro". Then people called BS on me when I said I could fire 100 rounds of low brass with MD-20 drums.... and I shot my first 100 round low brass dump video a week later. What now bitches? wink.png

I think it has a lot to do with the things that I pull off on a grande scale. These weapons are child's play compared what I do on a regular basis.

?

Curtis @ AK-Builder was/is a source for the S12 front latch kits.

- you can keep in contact with Cobra or try reaching Curtis for a guestimation.

RusMilitary [Oleg} is the source for original russian latch kits

- yep, its a hassle getting stuff from across the pond but sometimes it pays to "prebuy" hard to find parts so you know you're guaranteed to have it whenever they do arrive. (you can always sell it if youve found another in the meantime)

"Turbothis" on one of the AKcentric forums started making some hard to find parts; including the regular AK front latch & rear latch hook. You might check with him about the S12 latch hook? There is a company called Northwest something? that sells his stuff I believe?

He or "ObiwanBonJovi" created a company and uses CNC Warrior to machine stuff I believe. They are the ones that created the new folding buttstock adaptor that G.Suarez is pushing so Im sure they are swamped working on those.

I think if you do a search for Scott's S12 you will find his entries on building one of the special edition S12's before any oarts were available and he fabricated the latch hook himslef.

Best of luck

Harv

I'm hoarding the S12 front latch kit I have left. No way Im gonna be stuck again.

New Info: I just saw a post elsewhere that SaigatechUSA was planning to try & make the S12 front latch hooks also. So theres another place to watch

Edited by HarvKY

"Turbothis" on one of the AKcentric forums started making some hard to find parts; including the regular AK front latch & rear latch hook. You might check with him about the S12 latch hook? There is a company called Northwest something? that sells his stuff I believe?

He or "ObiwanBonJovi" created a company and uses CNC Warrior to machine stuff I believe. They are the ones that created the new folding buttstock adaptor that G.Suarez is pushing so Im sure they are swamped working on those.

Anyone have the scoop on these new folding adapters?