Do the russian/spetsnaz saiga 12's use the bho?

I only ask because this is the 2nd time that damn spring has come off and jammed my gun. Thought I had fixed it by filing a small notch in the bho but that didn't work, so this thing has got to go. Need this gun to go bang 110% of the time and with two failures already, it's just not going to cut it.

this BHO looks like a problem in search of a solution. I can't believe it is such a poorly designed part. Are we really expected to trust our life on this absurd spring that can "pop off".

How do I take the thing out? Do I just drive that pin out with a punch that it is mounted to?

The bho can be simply removed and left out. Then look up the krebs safety lever and buy one or grind yours to match. then you can use it for the bho. This is what i had to do. my bho didn't start coming loose till after 1500 rds after the conversion and notch.

If you have a picture available of the bolt being held open with the safety I would love to see. =]

The bho can be simply removed and left out. Then look up the krebs safety lever and buy one or grind yours to match. then you can use it for the bho. This is what i had to do. my bho didn't start coming loose till after 1500 rds after the conversion and notch.

If you have a picture available of the bolt being held open with the safety I would love to see. =]

Ask and ye shall receive...

photobucket-620-1330130876961.jpg

Bonus points if you can name the year and model of car in the background...

• Like 1

ok but how do i remove it? just bang that pin out and take it out?

There is a retaining wire that holds the pins in on the left side(side opposite the safety)

That, and you'll also need to put a washer on the hammer axis pin on the R/H-safety side of the receiver to eliminate slop caused by leaving the BHO lever out. It needs to be approximately the same width as the lever.

BTW, I don't know if the Spetsnaz have them on their guns but would be disappointed in them if they did. BHO? We don't need no stinking BHO!

I only ask because this is the 2nd time that damn spring has come off and jammed my gun. Thought I had fixed it by filing a small notch in the bho but that didn't work, so this thing has got to go. Need this gun to go bang 110% of the time and with two failures already, it's just not going to cut it.

this BHO looks like a problem in search of a solution. I can't believe it is such a poorly designed part. Are we really expected to trust our life on this absurd spring that can "pop off".

How do I take the thing out? Do I just drive that pin out with a punch that it is mounted to?

I love my Saigas and run them in 3 gun competitions but I would never claim they or any semi auto gun is going to be 110% reliable. Just yesterday my S12 ran perfect through 3 stages and then gave me feeding problems on the last two stages, but I saw plenty of Benellis and other shotguns acting up as well. Mine turned out to be a magazine issue so no fault of the guns but never ever expect it to be 110% reliable if your life depends on it. Try a revolver or side by side shotgun if those are the requirements. If done properly the BHO will be the least of your problems with this shotgun, I have never had an issue with any of the half dozen S12s I have owned over the past 3-4 years. There are plenty of threads on how to properly fix this issue.

• Like 1

Leave your BHO in. Bend the part of the spring that you see hanging out past the BHO to the center of the reciver.

Fell off 2 times, well do you have it in upside down?

• Like 1

Yes like this. This is the one I copied for mine. I ground my safety lever with a dremel tool and used paint marker to black in grind marks could cold blue. I did not buy a krebs. It works well.

ok but how do i remove it? just bang that pin out and take it out?

yes! Edited by Guns Are Great

I love my Saigas and run them in 3 gun competitions but I would never claim they or any semi auto gun is going to be 110% reliable. Just yesterday my S12 ran perfect through 3 stages and then gave me feeding problems on the last two stages, but I saw plenty of Benellis and other shotguns acting up as well. Mine turned out to be a magazine issue so no fault of the guns but never ever expect it to be 110% reliable if your life depends on it. Try a revolver or side by side shotgun if those are the requirements. If done properly the BHO will be the least of your problems with this shotgun, I have never had an issue with any of the half dozen S12s I have owned over the past 3-4 years. There are plenty of threads on how to properly fix this issue.

This is true. I tried the notch and bending the spring. It worked for 1500-2000 rds before it jammed it up. I solved one more possible issue with my weapon that I will never have to worry about again by removing it. It is not ideal in that The BHO shouldn't be a worry from the start since I did both when I converted it. But seeing that there is a stickie, it is obviously a recurrent issue. I don't want it to be a limiting factor as a reliable HD weapon so

I feel better removing it and using the safety lever. Horn's customs rifles does this (knotches the safety lever) to their AK's partly due to nice function and some ranges require BHO while on range.

Edited by Guns Are Great

I bought this from CSS,

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-368/Saiga-12-BHO-Bolt/Detail

I put a slight bend in the spring and dremelled a notch as close in as possible. Even if the spring were to come out of the the notch, the lever fits pretty tight to the side of the receiver, I don't think the spring can slip off.

The BHO is nice to have. With the spring bent and a notch, it shouldn't be able to come out unless there is slop allowing the BHO to wobble side to side. That is fixable with a washer between the BHO and the Hammer tube around the axis pin. That is reliable.

I think Bridis had it right. Do you think a gun is 100% trustwortht because spetznaz runs it? Really? Spetznaz runs AKs and many of them need a bunch of corrective work from the armororer right out of the factory before they are usable. Do you think the Russian military is as willing to admit their failures with accurate statistics in the way that ours does?

Realistically, all weapons have problems. I have found my saigas to be at least as reliable as any other shotgun I have used, and a whole lot easier to maintain. Nicer in every category. I would use mine in a life or death situation, and would choose it over just about any other model. That said, I would want to test any gun for that function individually. When saigas have problems, it is obvious, and all the fixes are known. Most of the fixes are DIY or cheap. You either know yours runs right or you know it doesn't. There won't be any surprises if you test yours with your ammo of choice and run a lot of rounds through it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

is that a 69 camaro?

can someone walk me through how to get the pin out that holds the BHO? I tried tapping on it and no go, maybe I'm just not doing it hard enough. Ex. the take down pin on an AR-15 needs almost no tapping to get out.

can someone walk me through how to get the pin out that holds the BHO? I tried tapping on it and no go, maybe I'm just not doing it hard enough. Ex. the take down pin on an AR-15 needs almost no tapping to get out.

you gotta remove whatever is retaining your pins. look inside the receiver at the pins on the 7mm side (the side withe the larger heads). remove the plate or wire or whatever is there to keep them from falling out. then tap out your pins. watch that hammer spring...

man i like that paint on your saiga.

is that a 69 camaro?

Nope, close though...

As for your axis pin, it has a channeled shoulder on it, inside the receiver, there is a stiff wire being held against the axis pin's shoulder, you have to whack the axis pin pretty damn hard from the right side of the receiver. Installation is a bit tricky too

Most people just wait until they have converted their weapons before working on the BHO.

So if you do take it out, do not buy the kit from CSS with the tromix modified FCG. That one is shorter for use with a BHO gun.

I have the Tromix FCG from CSS in mine with the bho removed and no issues. What should I be looking for, issue wise? Edited by Guns Are Great

Go to Carolina Shooters Supply and look at their long list of installation videos. You'll surely find what you're looking for and you'll learn how to keep your BHO spring in place.

Youtube also has many videos too.

Do some research...

Edited by Bridis

I took the BHO's out of all of my Saigas and modded the safety lever on them. I am the QA/QC tech at an engineering and machine shop company and have some of the best welders in the world there, so I got scrap steel and cut it to right size for the finger extention. (2mm thick steel cut 5/8ths " wide by 7/8ths " long. Stuck it in a vise and bent it to a 90 degree angle, and had one of the boys tig it in place. A smooth weld job that looks nice when repainted and works great!! Gotta love my job!!

• Like 1