Ok heres the story I have a safe full of guns but not one 1911. I'm not looking for something to pass down like an heirloom but somthing good quality that can be shot. I shoot all my guns and want my kids to do the same. So the qusetion is what kind and what price range should I be looking at to get a nice quality 1911 that can be shot often and looks good ?

I would get a norinco or polytech 1911. I know people will hate my response but there all hammer forged, with some of the strongest metals. If you keep your eyes pealed you might be able to pick one up for 400 500 max. Cast 1911s like taurus dont hold up like forged steel does, even tho people sware by them you never know when its going to break could be never could be after a few shots.

If you want a collector go Colt or US Mil. For a decent shooter, the Springfields are hard to beat, with metals of a known quality, and a company that will stand behind their product.

• Like 1

Check out the Rock Island Armory 1911, is manufactured in the Phillipines. I purchased one about a year ago after researching many reveiws. IMHO is a lot of gun for not much money. Mine has digested every flavor of ammo and never missed a beat.

• Like 1

I real nice "sleeper" 1911 is the Safari Arms Custom Shop, Schuetzen Pisol Works. It's run by ex-Detonics pistolsmith, Richard Niemer. He built me this 6" chambered in 40 Super.

I fired a pair of back to back five shot groups at 50 yards that went under 1.5". That's at 50 yards, not 25. I don't think they get much respect, since they are sold through Olympic Arms.

Tony

40Super.jpg

Here's a 5" with barrels in 400 Corbon, 45 ACP, and 40 Super.

40super5inch.jpg

• Like 1

The guns Tony spoke of are about $900 to $1000 MSRP, then you can always add more workmanship.

added: as per Tony "they are sold through Olympic Arms" the two photos are right off the sight.

post-26137-0-99631200-1337690229.jpg

post-26137-0-01125900-1337690248.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags

My vote is for Springfield or Colt, buy once, cry once...

Although everything that I've seen from Rock Island was pretty nice...

But then again, I'm pretty adept with the 1911 platform and feel confident that I could take care of any problems that might arise with a Rock Island.

If you want a collector go Colt or US Mil. For a decent shooter, the Springfields are hard to beat, with metals of a known quality, and a company that will stand behind their product.

I gotta go with this.

Just the fact that you're looking to pass this down through the family as an heirloom, my vote is for a really nice Colt.

Check out the Rock Island Armory 1911, is manufactured in the Phillipines. I purchased one about a year ago after researching many reveiws. IMHO is a lot of gun for not much money. Mine has digested every flavor of ammo and never missed a beat.

I've heard many great things about RIA 1911's. But I have to be honest, it just doesn't fit the "heirloom gun" part of OP's requirement to me. Now if we're talking about picking up an affordable shooter, RIA for sure.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I gotta go with this.

Just the fact that you're looking to pass this down through the family as an heirloom, my vote is for a really nice Colt.

I've heard many great things about RIA 1911's. But I have to be honest, it just doesn't fit the "heirloom gun" part of OP's requirement to me. Now if we're talking about picking up an affordable shooter, RIA for sure.

Just my opinion.

OP said he's "not looking for heirloom"

I gotta go with this.

Just my opinion.

OP said he's "not looking for heirloom"

Derp.

Reading comprehension fail on my part, lol.

Another vote for Springfield here. I have a Loaded and love it, every collection needs to have at least one 1911 (.45 ACP is the only way to go).

72aaf8cf.jpg

Gratuitous pic (with aluminum Wicked Grips).

i dont like stainless steel guns but that is impressive

Another vote for Springfield here. I have a Loaded and love it, every collection needs to have at least one 1911 (.45 ACP is the only way to go).

72aaf8cf.jpg

I'm not hating or anything but...

randj2.jpg

Does Leo DiCaprio come over when you shoot it????haha.gif

Edited by Caged
  • Like 1

72aaf8cf.jpg

I'm not hating or anything but...

randj2.jpg

Does Leo DiCaprio come over when you shoot it????haha.gif

Lmao, where do you think l got my inspiration from??

"Romeo, oh Romeo, wherefore art thou ammo??"

Actually, what really inspired me are Devel Guns lol. ;)

sidva009.jpg

72aaf8cf.jpg

Like mine, except no cut outs, has target sights and mag well. This pistol and S&W Koeing (Speling) edition are only ones that shoot ANY ammo fed, even heavy laquer wolf/old style..

72aaf8cf.jpg

That's different, but I kinda like it.

Do the grips have a plexiglass window or is it wide open right to the rounds?