I didn't include my extra mags in the pic, but I normally carry one for the TCP and (if I can), two for the 45.

EDC.jpg

Up until it was stolen, I carried a Gen 3 Glock 32. Will probably go back to that (or something similar) soon.

I was tempted to post of pic of my Draco, as if that's my EDC. haha.gif

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

yeah i didnt include my back-up piece as i only carry it on the weekends as well as my first post. but its an old ass charter arms undercover .38 that my grandma bought back in the late 60's if i remember right. still shoots like a dream.

and the draco would be awsome to see some cats around town totin one of those. good choice.

I alternate:

post-32852-0-35863600-1345931854_thumb.jpg

Either the Springfield A1 in the Blackhawk SERPA, carried 3 o'clock and running 8 round CMC Powermags (+1 in the chamber) cocked and locked with Critical Defense, or S&W Sigma .40 running 10 round mags full of Z-max (it was $1 cheaper... don't judge me. :lolol:) in a DeSantis Thumb-break Scabbard, SOB. Occasionally, it rides in a Blackhawk neoprene IWB, 12 o'clock.

And the good 'ole Gerber "Fast Draw."

• Like 2

hey johnny, how do you like that DeSantis? i have one for my G23 and though its comfortable regardless of what im doin, drawing from it is a tad slower than it is with my safariland ALS. and mine is at about a 2 o'clock cant.

hey johnny, how do you like that DeSantis? i have one for my G23 and though its comfortable regardless of what im doin, drawing from it is a tad slower than it is with my safariland ALS. and mine is at about a 2 o'clock cant.

It's not too bad. I like the fact that it was a leather (unlined) thumb-break holster for ~$60. I need to pick up some mink oil or something though, because it is one squeaky sum'bitch. Mainly when I use that 3rd slot and carry "FBI canted" instead of SOB. (It would probably help if my scrawny ass had some meat between my hip bone and my belt! Lol)

As for speed of draw- it is a bit slower than the Fobus holsters I have for my S&W, but still faster than anything IWB.

All in all, I'd say it's a decent rig. There are certainly better options out there, but I'm not dropping that kind of coin on a Sigma! :)

It's not too bad. I like the fact that it was a leather (unlined) thumb-break holster for ~$60. I need to pick up some mink oil or something though, because it is one squeaky sum'bitch. Mainly when I use that 3rd slot and carry "FBI canted" instead of SOB. (It would probably help if my scrawny ass had some meat between my hip bone and my belt! Lol)

As for speed of draw- it is a bit slower than the Fobus holsters I have for my S&W, but still faster than anything IWB.

All in all, I'd say it's a decent rig. There are certainly better options out there, but I'm not dropping that kind of coin on a Sigma! smile.png

mine doesnt have the 3rd slot, as its a FAMS rig. it fits tight and rides high. the quality is there though and i enjoy it. im thinking of pickin up a shoulder rig for it from galco.

I both have and do not have a CCW permit here in MA. SOOOO, I will not post anything until I have a certified answer from my communist government whether or not my CCW is current

BTW: Captain IF I were to have a setup, I'd have one very similar to yours bad_smile.gif

Edited by VR6Shooter
  • Like 2

I expected the pistols and even a flashlight, but I have never thought about EDC knives. How many here have actually had to resort to using something they were carrying for self-defense purposes? (i.e. not to cut open a package or target practice) Has anyone taken knife handling courses or have a set of knife drills they go through to improve proficiency? (Not trying to highjack the thread - let me know if you feel I should open a new topic on this).

Edited by some idiot
  • Like 2

Just military training. There are an abundance of people teaching hand to hand combat in these days of the end of the world. The hard part would be finding someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I'll practice with my boy once in awhile with some wood and that's about it. Have never had to use a knife, but I keep a small very sharp one on my belt. For most people you would just have to draw blood and they would be done. If you run across a knife fighter you will probably be better off with the gun anyways.

• Like 1

I expected the pistols and even a flashlight, but I have never thought about EDC knives. How many here have actually had to resort to using something they were carrying for self-defense purposes? (i.e. not to cut open a package or target practice) Has anyone taken knife handling courses or have a set of knife drills they go through to improve proficiency? (Not trying to highjack the thread - let me know if you feel I should open a new topic on this).

military training goes a long way. but to answer your question, its the same principle as a condom. better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. i see just as much gain from a knife as i do with a gun. and with society the way it is, id much rather take my chances with my own safety than to rely on Police that will usually be minutes away when an event takes place.

• Like 1

Knives can be useful in many life threatening situations. Their utility can be essential on a daily basis from opening things, to fixing or modifying things. A knife can also make other tools in a survival situation and allow you to gain entry or exit to places if you are in danger or trapped.

An example that jumps into my mind since my brother is an EMT is removing a seatbelt of an unconcsious person in a burning vehicle. It can also be used to open the window of the vehicle to gain entry if it is locked or crushed. There are countless scenarios like this where a firearm won't be the appropriate tool to save lives (including yours and your loved ones).

Lastly a knife can be used in lieu of a handgun as a defensive weapon if you are trained and competent in your skills with one.

• Like 1

What always surprises me about most people and knives is, how damned dull most of them are.

People are always commenting that my knives are kept razor sharp, and I always tell/ask them "What good is a dull knife?"

Hell, most peoples knives won't hardly cut open a cardboard box.

Keep them sharp! Seatbelts, rope, boxes and what not, are not going to be cut when you NEED it cut with a dull knife.

good point chile. now that you mention it, i must agree. most the knives i see that others have, generally are dull. i hone mine on a navaculite benchstone 2-3 times a week or more depending on how much use it sees. it is amazing that so many folks tote around dull knives.

I have more recent firearms training than I do knife training. The majority of the blade training was from the Military, or slightly after (when I did Executive/Diplomatic Security type stuff). I agree on the "keep the knife sharp" attitude.

• Like 1

What always surprises me about most people and knives is, how damned dull most of them are.

People are always commenting that my knives are kept razor sharp, and I always tell/ask them "What good is a dull knife?"

Hell, most peoples knives won't hardly cut open a cardboard box.

Keep them sharp! Seatbelts, rope, boxes and what not, are not going to be cut when you NEED it cut with a dull knife.

Amen. People ask me how I sharpen my knives all the time. companies know that it is cheaper to do a blunt secondary edge bevel and that most customers won't know the difference. They want ready made-- if it doesn't come sharp, they won't sharpen it.

People will happily drop $90+ on a benchmade or similar and never sharpen it, when they come with a fairly blunt angle to the final grind, they leave it at that angle. When they get fed up with the knife being dull, they buy a new one. They will talk about how it has to be the best and strongest tactical model or whatever, but never get it sharp themselves. And then there are the people who ruin their knives with those horrible little carbide scrapers. --suppress rant about cutco--

What do I carry everyday? Spyderco Endura 4 FFG. It is a limited edition one with G10 scales, but I actually like the basic FRN one better. It is lighter and better balanced with a good grip. When I am at places where they don't allow full sized knives, i.e. lawschool, I carry the same thing in the Delica size Full Flat Grind, plain edge, grey FRN handles, or a dainty little Spyderco S knife. I really like their products. Most of their basic models are pure refined function. How else does one open a ketchup packet?