• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Ive been shot before and can honestly say that I dont want to get shot again by any of them.

Hmmm, the biggest argument that I personally hear against the glock 40, is that it is a 9mm glock which has been made to accept a larger caliber. To make the 40 as reliable as the 9, I hear that they

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted Images

Never shot a Glock .40. I bought my Glock 9mm, mainly because 9mm ammo is so cheap, and I hate having a gun I can't afford to waste ammo in. Also, caliber wise, .40 is obviously bigger, but I can load the mag up with some personal defense loads and still do some damage if I need to. I love my 19.

100_9461.jpg

Mall Ninja Setup

Here is a email bashing my G22 & G27

Dude,

I'm just giving you my opinion and these are the general opinions of many other instructors as well.

Anyone that actually carries a subcompact always adds a finger extension or plus 2 which makes the grip the same length as the compact model so it's a waste as far as carrying.

TFO's are GTG

The .40 itself is an over pressurized cartridge

Ammo cost which means you won't shoot as often

More recoil and slower for follow up shots

Very "snappy" recoil (Especially in a SC model)

Lower round count

They blow up more guns than any other caliber combined (Including Glocks)

Wait until you get about 10K rounds through your 22 and see if you have any problems?

My stuff is for gun fighting not just for shooting paper

The 40S&W is based off 10mm that they tamed down. S&W did there home work designing the round and there is a reason it now dominates the LE market. 40 gives you almost as much capacity as a 9mm but gives you heavier bullets with a larger diameter similar to the 45. Glocks use what is know as an unsupported chamber which early on contributed to brass failure. 9mm and 45ACP are much older cartridges compared to the 40 S&W so manufactures already have lots of designs, research and tooling dedicated to 9mm/45acp.

Personally I really like 40S&W because it gives me almost as much capacity as a 9mm but almost as much power as a 45. Will say the recoil is pretty snappy but not enough to bother me.

• Like 1

Very generally speaking he is right. It is more snappier, and ammo costs more, especially if you shoot something like 10k rounds a year. But thats all subjective. Does the recoil bother you? Can you afford to shoot a lot? DO you want to shoot a lot? I dont like the size of the G27 or the 9mm equivalent. They are too small for my hands but that doesnt make them bad guns.

Personally I moved away from the 40 because, to me, it didnt do anything a 9mm with quality ammo couldnt do. But more importantly, I dont want to stock up on every caliber. I have 9 and 45 and thats enough for me.

• Like 1

I have a G22 and G17. I like the 17 because I can piss through 9mm at the range like its nothing and there isn't enough recoil to bother anyone male or female, young or old. The G22 is "snappier" but claiming it is less accurate isn't exactly right. I am actually more accurate with my 22 than my 17. Maybe it's because I shoot it more than the 17 now and have adjusted my hold for the .40 recoil, I can't really say. What I can say is that whoever sent you that is clearly caliber biased and needs to get the hair out their ass. Take it with a grain of salt and have fun with whatever you shoot

Edit to be a hero and add a pic of the twins:

post-38885-0-95658300-1350397240_thumb.jpg

Edited by VR6Shooter
  • Like 1

It's just like back in the day with the 9mm vs .45 ACP pissing contest. I own those plus .40 and alternately carry those three. You still have to place lethal hits to eliminate a threat(s). I usually resort to carrying my G19 with a 15 rounder inserted and a 17 round G22 mag for a reload for more rounds in hand. Regardless what you carry, you have to get used to the recoil anyway.

I dont like the size of the G27 or the 9mm equivalent. They are too small for my hands but that doesnt make them bad guns.

The plus 1 extension on the mags makes a big difference in this regard.

I know and Ive handled them but the still dont feel right. To me there is still not enough real estate to grab onto. I feel like I gotta smush my fingers.

My daily carry is a G19 but I like the length of the G17 buuuuuut.....As far as Glocks go the most perfect comfortable grip, length and width, I find to be the G20/21! Especially with the Hogue wrap around rubber grip! 015.gif

Edited by Arik

+1 on the G22. I am less accurate with the G19. I would consider a G17, but unless it more closely matches the G22 in accuracy, I will stay with the G19. I do far better than the G19 with a CZ 75B for 9 mm. Weight, balance and personal feel are just as important as caliber selection. I shoot 9mm 20 to 1 over 40 S&W due to cost. All of this is 25 yard range based and no consideration given here for a carry gun.

The biggest advatage over the .40 is that it is more prone to cause hydrostatic shock, much like the .45. Shot placement is key regardless. I prefered the .40 over the 9mm just for the heavier bullets. But I did ditch my .40 and am sticking strictly to my .45. It got kinda pricey trying to buy quality ammo in bulk for both calibers. It is a hot load for its size. And the biggest problem people have with this caliber and kabooms is reloading. Factory new brass can kaboom too, but is much less prone.

That letter has a lot of things that need to be clarified.

The compact vs the subcompact is about 1/2" shorter on the barrel. Additionally the profile of the mag extension is not as profound as the profile of the compact. I carry a sub-compact on my ankle and the compact is too conspicuous even though it fits in the same holster.

The SAAMI standard for the 40 S&W allows it to shoot with in modern handguns because it is a modern cartridge. It is higher pressure than 9mm and 45 which are standardized to be safe to shoot in pistols that are nearly 100 years old.

10,000 rounds out of a handgun is about double what you can expect out of many older metal designs. Some Glocks have been known to go into the hundreds of thousands which was unheard of for a handgun before they came onto the market.

Giving up 2 rounds over the 9mm counterpart in compact and standard size (17-15 in standard and 15-13 for compact) is pretty minimal for the ability to go up to 180 grain bullets at over 1,015 fps, which is damn close to the .45's ability with a 185 grain going 1,050 fps.

Regarding the "blowing up" comment, I would be interested to see those stats since most "blow-ups" are because of double charged ammunition or otherwise out of spec handloads.

ETA: The 40 S&W can be converted to .357 Sig with a barrel swap and is also easily converted down to 9mm with a conversion barrel and a 9mm magazine. This gives you the ability to convert to cheaper or more powerful ammo with about $100-$115 investment.

The 9mm is always going to be a 9mm.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 1

Hey Dave,

What kind of holster is that?

I need another one besides my ankle holster.

Thanks,

J

I dont like the size of the G27 or the 9mm equivalent. They are too small for my hands but that doesnt make them bad guns.

The plus 1 extension on the mags makes a big difference in this regard.

for me it is mostly preference. as some have stated the .40 can be a little more dangerous to reload due to pressures and chamber designs. i have some 40. cal brass from a friends glock and can say that it is expanded a lot more at the base than 9mm out of my 17. so for reloading i choose 9mm. all in all it comes down to the 9mm being more affordable and the availability of really good carry ammo like Hornady critical duty. shot placement is key with any caliber. if i need something bigger i want a .45 acp.

Edited by rogers

I have carried both 9 and 40 and prefer the 9 since I can shoot it as fast and accurately as needed plus I can reload 100 rounds for around 12 bucks which affords more practice and familiarity. The 40 is a snappy cartridge but in some metal framed guns like the sig 229 really tame it down. Now If you want a 40 then go buy a 10mm then you get the real advantages of the 40 caliber cartridge. See pic below.

10mm-1.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Springfield XD in .40, never had a ftf, fte, misfire or anything wrong. Even dropped it in the mud (by accident), blew out the barrel and it shot fine.

Have about 5k rounds through her now, shes bout 1 year old.

I just don't like how glocks shoot for me, great gun, just not for me.

I am planning on going and buying another XD in 40, I like to have multiples of the same. Don't like change much.

I have no doubt that most anything I carry, be it a 9, 40, 45, will stop any attacker. It's not really the caliber, it's more about where I am going to place those 8-10 rounds in your body.

Edited by Live2Ride

That chart is a little byassed. There are plenty of +p .45 cal ammo that are lots faster than that.

That chart is a little byassed. There are plenty of +p .45 cal ammo that are lots faster than that.

Some are almost 200 fps faster than that.

I know that the 45 guys want the cartridge to be in the same league as 10mm but it isn't, it is still an effective manstopper and has been for a long long time. Show me a brand of 230 gr. +p that will do >1000 fps all the time. The hottest I have found is ranger t series 230gr. +p @ 995 fps.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP, The real fact that should be taken from that chart is that with the right bullet in any of the major calibers you can penetrate abd hit vital organs which is just as important as being able to shoot it fast and accurately, if we go based on this, 9mm is just fine as well as 40 it is just which one you are more comfortable with.

Edited by dashowdy
  • Like 1

I prefer 9mm. And I'm not a Glock fan... But it's personal preference. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and it's just what I like.

Glock makes fine/quality Firearms. I just happen to like 1911's and FN pistols more.

That email reads like its from a total douche bag.

If what you have works for you, then stick with it! I know plenty of people that love the .40 round and love Glocks.

Hmmm, the biggest argument that I personally hear against the glock 40, is that it is a 9mm glock which has been made to accept a larger caliber. To make the 40 as reliable as the 9, I hear that they had to make the feed ramp larger or something, which makes the 40 glock have an unsupported chamber. Due to this, it is supposedly a sure way to make a glock 40 explode by shooting nothing by lead bullets in it.

Of course, the only pistol caliber that I own is the 9mm, so I cant really partake in the pistol caliber wars.

Anyone saying that the 9mm is not a good defense round, see my attached image.

post-36320-0-13332700-1350423333_thumb.png

• Like 2