Would you buy items made in korea at this current time?

I'm gonna buy a Daewoo Lanos just so I can emulate what it was like to be the guy driving a Yugo in the 80's when it hit 30k miles and disintegrated horror.gif

daewoo-lanos-02.jpg

Now there's a quality looking vehicle amazing.gif

• Like 1
If North Diarrhea made life sized midget Kim Jong un dolls, I'd buy a few for the shooting range.

Hahahaha! Thanks for the great idea bro! Lifesize steel bobblehead standup targets! Hell yeah just make a plywood or masonite body, with a cutout for a steel spring loaded heart and a steel bobblehead mounted on a heavy duty coil spring! haha.gif021.gifcool.png

575726_10151526256533606_1234446477_n.jp

LMFAO Chile I wanna make my first one look like someone I won't name in public, and the next one should prolly look like THIS ^ Johnboy.gif ^ 021.gif

As far as boycotting foreign made parts that are fucking made to use on or with foreign made weapons...rolleyes.gifdeadhorse.gif Gimme a fuckin break REALLY!!??

LMAO again! haha.gif

The easiest way to tell a mechanically clueless excuse for a guy, is if he's driving a Hyundai.

Sorry if anybody reading this bought a Hyundai and takes offence at that statement, but the truth's the truth. 032.gif

Everyone can make their own opinion on their experiences but I buy whatever I see value and reliability in... I will try anything if it could be worth it. Saying that I am only left with foreign cars at home 1 Infiniti and 1 Hyundai... and it looks like when infiniti gets traded-in it could be a toss up between another Infiniti or KIA/Hyundai. At 130k on my 2004 Hyundai... not a single catastrophic failure of a vehicle in all of those years. Little things here and there sure...mostly German-made sensors. But overall exponentially better than any US made garbage I had over the 15+ years... kept dropping transmissions on my Dodges, everything and anything on the Fords; brand new Cadillac CTS-V locked me in the car and didn't let me out because it thought I was stealing it (3 days of ownership).

I would say Hyundai/KIA of today has little to do with the on of late 80's and early 90's.

I have no problem buying "domestic" (probably made partially in mexico or wherever else) but to be honest if they cannot compete in value/reliability then why should I feel sorry for a lazy manufacturer that does not want to improve itself or their inferior product? If I do shitty work will anyone feel sorry for me? ... this is exactly why US manufacturers have been giving away market-room to foreign ones. If it was pure shit like Chinese "Cherry" brand then no one would but it...it is not the case obviously.

This goes for any product.

Edited by HappYBallZ
The easiest way to tell a mechanically clueless excuse for a guy, is if he's driving a Hyundai.

Sorry if anybody reading this bought a Hyundai and takes offence at that statement, but the truth's the truth. 032.gif

Yep. Because they only need standard maintenance in 200k+ miles. Why would I be offended by that?

Doing the plugs on dual-overhead cam engine, and changing the timing belt and tensioner were kind of a pain. But they changed to chains, and most cars are DOHC now so its not like you can get away from it. If yer not mechanically inclined, paying for it once every 100k isn't that big a deal. My 05 Ford Focus (reskinned Mazda3) was pretty easy to do plugs on though. Four of em right up front in the middle.

Hyundai's biggest issue right now is that their hybrids, like ALL hybrids here, are using the old battery tech that takes up more trunk space. I really like my trunk space.

Kia = Killed In Accident

anyway their newer cars are better but as i have worked at a Kia dealership as a mechanic i will say this atleast up till 2007 alot of these cars had major problems not even reaching 3 year old mark.

another problem with buying a Kia/Hyundai is the depreciation, when you buy a car new it is for most of us a pretty large investment and an investment that looses about half its value as soon as you drive it off the lot is not a very smart one.

From my own experience i can say Japanese cars seem to keep their value better then most other manufactures, German cars keep alot of their value until they reach about 5 years old and then it suddenly drops, my friend Just bought a 2003 s55 AMG for $10,000, now in 2003 the car was worth $106,500 new now that is a depreciation of -$96,500 in just 10 years if it were me and i had that kind of money to spend on a car i would spend it on exotics and such vehicles that would not depreciate but appreciate in value.

Either way you slice it investing into buying a Korean car new is not a good choice but second or third or fourth hand on the cheap why not.

• Like 1
and now No I would Not buy some Korean stuff I did in the past:

LBFMs,

they are hot when they're young and they f0ckers.gif like rabbits.

But most of them do not age well, some do and the ones that do do it well, but the rest would put a man off his beer.

Not sure if this is an April fools joke or not.....

There was a Korean war that devided Korea

Ok SK is a democratic state. NK is a communist state. 2 different leaders, 2 different economies. The only thing they share is the same language, group of people and peninsula

SK Imports- Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, conglomerate partner in GM, steel, small electronic components, Glock, AK and other mags. There is alos a US-SK free trade agreement

NK imports- 0

Don't you dare say my STI is from SK, Subaru is designed in japan and built in Indiana. How offensive.

Pretty much. Subaru is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, a Japanese company.

Some Asian steel is poor. Their better stuff is quite acceptable. I've installed hoists with

gantries from Japan that met US PE certification, hardness checks, and weld checks

in my company's plants.

I like my Toyota truck. In 125k miles, I have replaced tires and fluids. That's all.

There's only one thing to worry about with Kia/Hyundai. They buy US marketshare by

self financing all their vehicle via Hyundai shipping, and selling at or below cost.

This is why they cost so little. However, that is not a self-sustaining business model,

and is risky in the long term. Resale values plummet and parts are unavailable for

cars from dead companies. It's a risk.

Koreans and Japanese actually take pride in their work. That's why I'd buy a product from either country. China, not so much, but in a lot of cases you don't get a choice any more.

The company I work for several years back had a 5-year lease on 5 container ships with the same general hull design. Two of them were built in Germany, then the remaining three were built in Korea by Hyundai-Mipo. I've been on some shoddily-built ships, mostly from Chinese shipyards. The German and Korean hulls were virtually identical, including all of the finish work of the modular house structure. They were well-built ships, unfortunately the economy tanked and we lost the lease on them. I helped do a ton of electronics mods to those ships that just went straight down the drain.

and now No I would Not buy some Korean stuff I did in the past:

post-26137-0-71670500-1365182352.jpg

Two of those four look ready to receive some American imports for sure.....f0ckers.gif

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 1

I'll stick with buying my old vehicles. And GM for that matter. I'm in the process of selling the wife's '97 Grand am as it don't fit the family anymore. Currently tempted to sell here '95 Blazer too and get a '94 or earlier that's full OBD1 not this OBD 1.5 shit. Other then that I got a '79 Monte, '94 Blazer(T-10) and a '83 T10 thats waiting on a V8 swap and a frame off resto. The '94 will get a LSX when I have about 3k to drop on the swap. And depending on the '95 it may get that first.

Korean magazines are a hit or miss. Back loading Chinese AK drums are far better than Korean drums and I would say a little better than Romanian back loading drums. Korean Glock mags hit or miss. The Korean Beta AR mags are not as good as the other "forget who made them." I will probably buy the Glock drum mag soon enough just to have it. I have had problems with there G18 mags b/c they have a section halfway down the mag that the cartridges have to be forced passed. I should have bought a case of the Korean AK mags when they couldn't give them away, they ended up going for premium prices lately.