Try to be green with a hybrid car? lol.

And you may be greeted with an additional tax to help support the highway infrastructure. LOL LMAO this is funny and stupid at the same time. People try to be green and buy a car that is subsidised with YOUR tax dollars to the tune of $10,000 or more, and then they potentially could be taxed higher, because they don't use enough gas to pay their fair share of highway taxes! lol. I would post the link, but my posting skills apparently suck. You can read the story on fox News. LOLOLOL. You could not make this shit up! I love it! lol. LET THE MARKET DECIDE! We don't need government mandatinf shit that no one wants, and no one will pay for unless it is discounted through taxpayer monies. FUCK "Green" until it can support itself. That goes for ethanol, also.

• Like 1

The thing I really hate about all the "green" cars, is that they're not good for the environment at all if you factor in the battery production and replacement/disposal and transportation costs associated with the vehicle's production.

• Like 2

This was the reason that I sold my Honda Civic Hybrid. I could care less about the "green" aspect of owning a hybrid. My commute is 75 miles one way or 150 miles round trip. The Civic averaged 42 mpg. Helped save some money on fuel. I heard about this tax or usage fee and told the wife there was no way in hell we were going to pay another tax that we could easily avoid by selling the hybrid.

We went out and bought a Fiat 500 Sport, and it averages . . . .42 mpg. It also has a fun button on the dash that pust the car from economy to sport which remaps the fule injection for faster throttle response and it also tightens up the steering. Pretty neat feature. Alot more fun than the hybrid to drive, and it doesn't look like every other Japanese built vehicle. I also don't have to worry about replacing the hybrid battery pack at the tune of $3000 plus when it craps out, and they do crap out.

So, while the hybrid served me well to get back and forth to work, and several cross country trips, I had to get rid of it to avoid potentially getting screwed.trying to save money on fuel. I get the last laugh on this one. haha.gif

• Like 1

/\ I'd rather have a conventional car with fuel saving features then a hybrid.

A per mile tax is going to be fairly low on cars. Since they would have to use an estimated difference as you are still consuming fuel as just a slightly reduced rate.

A per mile tax is going to be fairly low on cars. Since they would have to use an estimated difference as you are still consuming fuel as just a slightly reduced rate.

It won't be estimated miles. The feds or state will implement vehicle inspection stations, which will record your cars driven miles. Expect to receive a tax bill either right then, or when plates are up for renewal.

I love that top car vid, and regularly use it as an eye opener piece.

My first car was a ford festiva that I got from my grandfather. 5 speed, one of the better engines that those had. It was relatively peppy as long as you didn't overload it. I drove it like a teenager and got 55 mpg hwy /45 town.

Our family had a fleet of these and they are a hard car to wear out. They regularly went 400k ish. they didn't need lithium to manufacture, and require very little maintanence. Making parts aren't great for the environment. Neither is making new cars to save a couple mpg. IIRC they were around $6 k new, unlike prius.

I think a car similar to the festiva with a little better suspension would be the way to go. Or a deisel equivalent.

I've always wanted someone to make a subaru awd style wagon with a turbo diesel boxer mounted under the back seat. I think that would be a great car.

The other efficient vehicle I would like to do someday would be a commuter E-bike. Take a sport or standard bike with a dead engine. I've seen a few builds where people put in an electric motor and $500-900 in batteries, and a nifty electric throttle. Here in hydro/wind power land it is cheap to get electricity, but to me the plan would be to set up my own charging source i.e. a sterling, wind or hydro power charger, with grid based backup. In theory, I could get a free or near free fun commute.

Hybrid can make sense, but as used it generally doesn't. If you have a plug in hybrid and a way to make your own free electricity, I think it can be a short trip winner. Trains are diesel electric for a reason. It makes sense if you can keep it in the optimum power band.

We have had a hybrid Camary since 09. It's the wife's car. We have had zero issues, other than the bluetooth going out right after we bought it, replaced under warranty. It was one of the first hybrids to roll off the TN plant. She averages 32 city 40 hwy. Between the tax credit we got when we bought it and considering she only fills it up once a month it has saved us money. The hydrostatic transmition and push button start take some getting used to but she likes it. We got a 10 year warranty on the batteries so we'll see how that works out. For the record it doesn't plug in...when it free wheels, I.e. take your foot off the gas, the front axles turn a generator that charges the batteries. We won't have it long enough for any tax to offset the savings...plus SC isn't big on taxes anyway.

We had to do something to offset the 35 gallon tank, 15 miles a gallon, on my Redneck Land Yacht.LOL

Screw new cars in general.

I've got a '79 Monte pushing 400hp NA and it gets almost 20mpg and could be more with some more fine tuning. Got my '94 S-series blazer that I just need a paper clip to read the codes. Not the best for mileage but it works in the winter when I need 4x4 to get around, still need to get to work no matter if the roads are closed. Wife has a '97 Grand Am GT with the 3.1L and gets 30mpg with no ethanol gas and over 20 intown not during winter. That will soon be sold as soon as I can, A: Fix her '95 Blazer that is a OBD bastage(OBD 1.5) B: sell it and get her a '94 like I have or maybe a couple year newer Blazer thats OBD2.

There is a lot of misinformation that is greedily lapped up by people who are against hybrids.

A hybrid gets its energy from gasoline. It regenerates some of it into a battery for future use.

A traditional hybrid is not connected to the grid more than any other gas burner.

A plug-in hybrid can do all the above, and charge off the grid. While this DOES transfer,

(not eliminate) some of the pollution burden, many coal plants actually put out cleaner air

than which they take in due to extremely good filtration. So, while some hybrids, not all, do take

from the grid, it is not a bad thing, any more than your refrigerator.

All hybrid car manufacturers offer a giant incentive to recycle the main battery when it goes out.

Many batteries are vastly surpassing service expectations as well. I would wager very few batteries

have not been recycled at dealers, and those that are left must be removed and recycled like any

other car battery at a scrap yard.

Hybrids are designed for in town driving. On the road, they can, and will, be beaten by small engine

gasoline cars. If you have a highway commute, you probably shouldn't buy one. However, unless

you are a super mileage downshifter and coaster, it will beat you in town.

Now, hybrids DO have an up front cost premium, so, while you will be saving GASOLINE, you may

not be saving MONEY due to the large amount of miles you will need to drive to break even.

I think a lot of hybrids are sold to a mental image, and while the technology is fascinating, and

is a transition solution for a nation of long distance drives and gas stations, the bottom line,

to you as a consumer, is that you may just be saving emissions, not money, driving one.

So, I can see both sides. I know a good amount about these being an engineer for Toyota,

and her's my obligatory disclaimer "these views are mine alone and not necessarily those of my employer."

However, like Montec says, I like the old cars, but my 72 Monte will only get 20 going down a slight hill.

^ this....in our situation it was about 5k more to go with a hybrid. We got half that back with a tax credit and with my calculations,gas being 2.80 a gallon, pay back period was 3 years. I don't think gas has been that low since we bought it. For us it was nothing to do with carbon footprint and all to do with the imprint on our wallet. We will easily get another 4 years out of it before we get rid of it. So we will save money. I wouldn't buy one again without the tax credit for the reasons mentioned above.

It's no different then when our house AC went out a few years ago..I replaced it and furnace even thought the furnace was fine. By replacing both we got a tax credit, that and I don't have to worry about a 15 year old furnace going out. I pay more than my fair share in taxes IMO so If the current administration is going to dumb enough to give away money for things I am going to have to buy anyway might as well take advantage of it. I didn't vote for him but there is no reason not to try to make the best of a bad situation.

I used to have a pick up...screw that. $200 a week in gas...give me a Prius any day. Most people around here buy them cause of all the stop and go traffic. It eats gas fast.

As for the batteries everyone cries about. Our shop sold several Prius's to a cab co. in 08. The cars are at about 300k miles with original batteries.

I don't care what people think of Prius, Civic, F350, monster trucks. I'm not playing dick measuring, I buy what saves me the most amount of money be it a Prius or a Land Cruiser