Exploding targets are popular at gun ranges, but not with federal law enforcement authorities who say the unregulated product not only has caused devastating forest fires but can also be a cheap source of bomb-making materials for extremists.

Ok it's a run on tannerite now.....

• Like 1

None of the actual ranges I have around here allow full-auto or tannerite. Many of them don't allow any kinds of targets other than paper.

Not a big deal to me, really, since I don't own any select-fire arms and don't use exploding targets, but I would like to set up the occasional pyramid of empty tin cans, or spare clay targets. I do always clean up afterwards, too.

The 22lr stuff is what I like to tape to gallon milk jugs full of water and set off in the yard beside the house, hit it with a SS round with the can on the 10/22, they never hear the gun shot. It does a good job of shutting up the asshole rednecks down the road when they get all drunk and stupid. But now the Feds are saying that Johnny Jihad wants to use it, yeh right.

I can see Tannerite going away (legally) in the near future! With the shit from the Anti crowd, and the ATF what it is. The law will change on tannerite I believe.

Even in my commie state it was allowed....until the last year or so and has been on the chopping block. Not by direct law.....yet (but who wants to be the test case) as Tromix eluded to!

I can see Tannerite going away (legally) in the near future! With the shit from the Anti crowd, and the ATF what it is. The law will change on tannerite I believe.

Even in my commie state it was allowed....until the last year or so and has been on the chopping block. Not by direct law.....yet (but who wants to be the test case) as Tromix eluded to!

What are they going to ban? Aluminum powder or Ammonium Nitrate?

I know a lot of people were buying the components off of amazon much more cheaply. Apparently the thing is to get the finely ground aluminum powder. On a previous thread someone mentioned that adding a small amount of sulfur will make the boom louder and deeper pitched, but I know nothing of whether this is safe or how much is appropriate.

What are they going to ban? Aluminum powder or Ammonium Nitrate?

I do not have the direct answer of the components that could be banned(and I am not saying they WILL BE BANNED) just more of my thoughts on the anti crowd and how it seems to be going here. In CA some folks have been arrested for the use. And the "well I bought it legally a gun store, is still up in the air for the court cases. I will have to research them some more and see what will/has happened.

If I remember correctly the CADOJ was going for the "explosive" devise side of things.

AN and anhydrous hydrazine. (toxic as hell!!!) Space shuttles used a less powerful variant of this stuff.

AN and nitromethane. (TNT substitute)

AN and aluminium. (tannerite)

AN and fuel oil.

There's a few more in the military's Improvised Munitions Handbook/Black Book 1-3 series. Both cross referance.

I said a while back to start hoarding it!!! This is the reason!

Any particular use other than just screwing around plinking?

The AN can be mixed with water to make instant cold... It also works well as fertilizer. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I know a lot of people were buying the components off of amazon much more cheaply. Apparently the thing is to get the finely ground aluminum powder. On a previous thread someone mentioned that adding a small amount of sulfur will make the boom louder and deeper pitched, but I know nothing of whether this is safe or how much is appropriate.

you use a touch of sulfur in a flash powder for more of a crack, it increases the speed in which it burns and unfortunately makes it less stable. a little bit in the amno mix will speed it up as well but not as dramatic.

both flash and tannerite use very fine mesh aluminum atomized powder. sub micron powder is restricted to 1lb a year by the batf unless you have permission for high explosives. the CSPA totally screwed the pyrotechnics in America because of their scum sucking lawyers and inability to tell the difference between an explosive and a pyrotechnic device.

In the past, my go to powder was German eckart blackhead. It was so fine, you could put it in a bag for a booster on the inside of a shell but in a few days, the aluminum would work its ways out of the bag via the pores of the plastic. spooky fine.

some don't consider it a hazard but I wore a respirator and special non sparking gloves while handling.

Edited by Stryker0946

More bullshit. The guy is a fucking liar. Please state what fires were started with tannerite. It's pretty hard to start a fire with something that pulls in every bit of oxygen in the area to burn almost instantly. Hell, you could use it to put fires out.

Have any one of you been able to start a fire with tannerite? Please let me know what fuel was nearby that lit.

Better yet. I should take some out in a controlled area with a mix of fuels and provide proof that this guy is full of shit.

• Like 1

but you light off one bottle of Tannerite and it brings the cavalry. It's not worth the hassle.

well, at least you were smart and just fired at the bottle. I've seen a inbred hilljack put one in a washing machine

Do you know for a fact this person was inbred or is this just a racist comment? Wanna see inbred? British royalty. Oh, but that's "acceptable".

• Like 1

I said a while back to start hoarding it!!! This is the reason!

Any particular use other than just screwing around plinking?

The AN can be mixed with water to make instant cold... It also works well as fertilizer. :rolleyes:

Exactly what a medical cold pack is AN pellets and a pouch of water enclosed in a bag. Lots of people resort to buying these just for the AN pellets.