Yep, they have a bunch of different AR-15 rifles , a few sniper rifles, a 50 bmg. But no AK's.

I asked the guy at the desk and he looked at me like I was crazy.

Gun prejudice right there.

Funny thing is you can get all kinds of AK accessories there, they even sell the bump fire slide stock for AK's.

Maybe the scare cleaned them out and they decided not to carry them anymore.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH

The cabela's near me has always carried single-stack WASRs.

For a long time, they did not put them out and display, so they never sold - nobody knew they were on hand. They did the same thing with hi-point pistols.

At some point, someone corporate bitched them out for holding inventory where customers couldn't see it, and they started putting it out. The gun library has always frequently had used AKs through.

It is the lack of volume availability. Parts kits and imports are never a reliable source of volume firearms.

AR-15s are made for mass manufacturing.

While I don't disagree with you about the AR, there has never been a weapon better designed for mass production in mind like the AK

• Like 1

It is the lack of volume availability. Parts kits and imports are never a reliable source of volume firearms.

While I don't disagree with you about the AR, there has never been a weapon better designed for mass production in mind like the AK

While that may be true, there aren't many rifles that are more readily assembled by amateurs in their homes than ARs. When I bought a lower and a parts kit - it took me about an hour to assemble it, with no prior AR experience beyond having fired a few.

The ak could be the same way in america, but we are stuck with bullshit IO and no one else at the moment.

I noticed the same thing at our local Cabela's and Gander Mtn., closest thing I saw were some unconverted saigas, but only at Gander Mtn., as the OP said though, plenty of ARs and at least one .50 BMG, some SIG rifles, some .22 uzis, not a single AK.

The ak could be the same way in america, but we are stuck with bullshit IO and no one else at the moment.

Nonsense... Assembling an AR from a finished receiver and a parts kit does not require pressing a barrel in, nor does it require riveting multiple pieces to the receiver. With basic hand tools like hammers and punches, an AR can be fully assembled from parts.

Even an AK screw build requires a drill and requires threads to be tapped. Not simple or easy for the average person.

The only way to make an AK build easy for the average person would be to sell complete parts kits, everything already pressed together, all the rivet locations in the trunnions and trigger guard drilled and tapped, with a matching set of screws, and Loctite. Not sure if you could do that profitably - with that amount of labor to prep a kit, you may as well assemble and sell rifles.

Assembling an AK is so easy a caveman could do it, just watch the "profesional" you tube video. With a hack saw, a big freakin hammer, and a weld grinder any ham fisted moron can beat one together! I still laugh when I think about that video. You are right though the big box stores dont seem to have much in the line of imports. When I was looking for my S12 and the local shop just bumped the price I asked at the local Dunhams. They looked it up in their catalog and had a lower price than the local gun shop but the guy said the catalog prices are not always right it may be more. Honestly I would rather buy from a local shop anyway I hate the big corporate box stores and try to avoid all of them when possible!

Just from a little hands on knowledge of metal working. A milled AR-15 receiver is actually cheaper to produce then a stamped AK, because people are not used to make the AR-15, just a big VMC.

Plus AR-15 mags are about 1/5th the work of an AK magazine.

The Cabela's here always has some sort of AK on the shelves. SKS and Mosins too.

They totally stripped their used firearms section though. Used to be huge, and that's where most of the nicer AKs could be found. I missed a lot of good buys back when I thought $400 was too much for a used AK.

Just from a little hands on knowledge of metal working. A milled AR-15 receiver is actually cheaper to produce then a stamped AK, because people are not used to make the AR-15, just a big VMC.

Plus AR-15 mags are about 1/5th the work of an AK magazine.

If we're talking about the receiver itself, that doesn't really follow to me. AK receiver - stamped sheet metal, bent into shape, rail welded in place. AR receiver - bunch of mill time from a solid block of aluminum. It seems that AK receivers, at least, lend themselves to rapid production moreso than do AR receivers - and the price of AR versus AK receivers would seem to bear that theory out. Prior to the most recent scare, a stamped AK receiver could be had for as little as $40-50, and a milled aluminum AR receiver for as little as $70-80.

I'm not a manufacturing engineer by any long shot, but a well-run computerized CNC milling operation could probably crank out parts at a higher rate than a stamping/welding operation that has to be done largely by hand.

Ironically, if you were going to start a 100% US-made AK, it might actually be cheaper to mass-produce milled AK receivers.

• Like 1

I know that Cabelas carried them at one time but the funny thing was the salesman's look and response I got when I asked about one.

The guy looked at me like I was a criminal for even asking about it and he nervously said no.021.gif He was probably one of those purists hunter types.

I love the fear that the AK brings.

• Like 1

I'm not a manufacturing engineer by any long shot, but a well-run computerized CNC milling operation could probably crank out parts at a higher rate than a stamping/welding operation that has to be done largely by hand.

Ironically, if you were going to start a 100% US-made AK, it might actually be cheaper to mass-produce milled AK receivers.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that a stamping process would have to be done largely by hand - do you mean like this?

And while the welding operation might be done "by hand," sort of - it's assuredly done with the assistance of a jig, and done very quickly. Set parts in jig, hit foot petal, move receiver down the line, repeat...

Mancat has it right, welding/stamping is expensive. Plus the trunions still need to be milled and then riveted..

Doing a milled receiver would probably be cheaper as it requires fewer hands.

Set-up cost is certainly higher for stamped AK receiver production, sure - but production itself? No way. Stamping is expensive to set up, and relatively cheap to continue. I can buy an AK stamped flat, with rails, for $20-25 on a bad day - and $10 on a good one. The material cost is lower and there is less waste - a shape punched out of a piece of sheet steel, as opposed to a piece milled out of a solid forging, or even a billet of aluminum. It just seems like a no-brainer, and the market bears out my conclusion. AR and AK receivers are both made in the US, and AR receivers are consistently more expensive, even in times in which there is no extraordinary demand.

Edited by Shandlanos

At a guess, I would say it is partly the image thing, and more importantly the logistics thing. Mass american market will return a gun that doesn't work right. Warranty work on imported guns is often a hassle. Too many AKs are put together crooked. Also narrower profit margins on a gun most people buy based on cheapness.

If I were a big box, I might be more inclined to sell the Arsenal type brand of AK. High price, more QC before it gets out the door. They could make a house brand like arsenal too. Or like the DPMS walmart ARs nice features cheaper materials, medium price.

At a guess, I would say it is partly the image thing, and more importantly the logistics thing. Mass american market will return a gun that doesn't work right. Warranty work on imported guns is often a hassle. Too many AKs are put together crooked. Also narrower profit margins on a gun most people buy based on cheapness.

If I were a big box, I might be more inclined to sell the Arsenal type brand of AK. High price, more QC before it gets out the door. They could make a house brand like arsenal too. Or like the DPMS walmart ARs nice features cheaper materials, medium price.

All that makes a lot of sense - and yet the only brand new AKs I've ever seen cabela's carry were neutered single stack rifles of Romanian and Serbian (aka Yugoslavian) manufacture. Nothing fancy, no Arsenal stuff.

Before the Jan. gun craze, Kansas City usually had 3 or 4 in stock. Underfolder, side folder (tapco), and standard wood. Last month there was a couple, a Century standard wood and a couple Vector under folders. I don't buy weapons at Cabela's. Local dealers always has better pricing on firearms. Stop in ounce a month or so, due to killing some time waiting on VA. Enjoy looking at some of the collectables and the fine workmanship of those weapons.

Here in dundee mi cabelas they have about 10 ak's and variants. They always buy used ak's and ar's and resell them there is always a couple on the rack for sale, used. I did my vepr 12 transfer thru them ,and they fondled it till I said put it away.It seems every store is different. I have bought about 8 pistol and rifle dies in the "bargain cave", I think many start to reload and realize its not for them,then return items as damaged.GREAT DEALS IN THERE AT TIMES

Mancat has it right, welding/stamping is expensive. Plus the trunions still need to be milled and then riveted..

Doing a milled receiver would probably be cheaper as it requires fewer hands.

Not only that, but to really do a stamped receiver right, it needs to be heat treated in an oven (kiln) as one piece, after it is fabricated. Doing that without having it come out all warped is far from trivial. Back when Ewbanks receivers were the only thing available, I built a rifle on one that arrived all twisted up. It was a major PITA holding it straight while the trunnions were drilled and riveted. It turned out ok, but it was a lot of extra work making it come out right. Most of the people building in their garages and basements from flats just spot harden the pin holes and ejector. Eff that. I want a rifle that is at least as good as one I can buy off the shelf, which is why I have only ever built on 100% receivers that had to be shipped through an FFL.