I was talking to a guy at work over dinner at the station last night, and he asked me why I'm always looking for my next gun. I guess I never thought about it much, and I told him it's my favorite hobby. I further explained that some guys are into scale models, classic cars, sports, etc., and looking for my next gun is the hobby I enjoy most next to being on the range shooting them.

It made perfect sense to him at that point. I guess he was thinking I'm some kind of crazed conservative. haha.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. I would purchase a wheeled cannon if I had the room.

10 or so years ago the wife said "How many guns you need you can only shoot one at a time?"....I looked at her and said "How many pairs of shoes and hand bags you need you can only wear one pair and u

Every once in a while I feel like I have enough guns. I just lie down until the feeling passes.   I have a friend who collects knives. He just bought a knife that cost $600. I haven't spent $600

Posted Images

I've got what I consider to be a good mix, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to some of you guys.

There are a few more that I WANT, but none that I can think of that I really NEED.

Definitely one or two I would upgrade or trade off on better models (if budget allowed).

I could easily justify more ammo though.

If you know how many guns you have then you don't have enough. I have a what I need. There will always be that new duck gun, deer rifle I want. Currently I'm looking for a nice over and under lately I have really been getting into sporting clays, doves and quail, probably going to be a Beretta 68 something. Haven't decided yet. But I understand what your saying looking is half the fun.

Every once in a while I feel like I have enough guns. I just lie down until the feeling passes.

I have a friend who collects knives. He just bought a knife that cost $600. I haven't spent $600 on every knife I've ever bought put together. And he's spent over $1k on a knife more than once. Now THAT'S crazy. He did give me a really nice Spyderco auto for my wedding present though. :D

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Russian rifles are something that I simply love. Rugged, sexy, depenable, well built, and accurate. Oddly, they draw me in even though they really aren't any different than the ones I already have.

I have the same affliction with Sig Sauer pistols. I have both German and US made and like them equally well. They meet the saem criteria of being rugged, sexy, depenable, well built, and accurate.

I'm acutally getting to the point that they are really the only rifles and pistols that I want to collect.

I know a few knife guys and they drop some big money on blades just like your friend Darth. I'm not much of a knive guy, but I do have a few. I think I've had the same Gerber that I carry daily for about 20 years now.

I thought my wife started this damn thread. While I'm starting to feel more rounded, I'm not sure I will ever have enough.

Scritter: I love shooting sporting clays and will be going on my first duck hunt in the next couple weeks. I picked up a Weatherby Orion last year and love my over under. I want to get some hand threaded chokes for the damn thing. That's been on my list for quite some time.

i am very happy with my current collection but still long for a good long range rifle.

Something that can consistently drop a round in a 10 inch circle at 500 Meters.

A Savage in .308 is definitely in my future.

Edited by DaveM
  • Like 1

Scritter: I love shooting sporting clays and will be going on my first duck hunt in the next couple weeks. I picked up a Weatherby Orion last year and love my over under. I want to get some hand threaded chokes for the damn thing. That's been on my list for quite some time.

I didn't start ducking until about 4 years ago.. warning it's very addictive and very hard on equipment...nothing like a wad of ducks coming in wings locked and gear down. If you like you will want a duck gun, something chamber in 3 1/2".my advice buy a good used one...If your like me you will end up using it for everything including a paddle, I hunt saltwater so my gear gets nasty, my old extrema is beat to hell but I wouldnt go to the blind without it..Good Luck and let us know what you think.

• Like 1

Excellent topic and thank you. Yes, I have too many guns. It was a topic of argument with the ex Lady Friend. I am still not quite sure who dumped whom. Anyhow; now I am non attached, but her points of consideration were actually valid. Sosss...we, (extended family or "group") will be keeping all the various USGI M1 Carbines and related stuff, (directly related) already on hand and I will be downsizing the rest of my rather large gun collection over the next couple of years. There are some deserving grandkids who do or will be needing money help through college.

It is strange how one priorities or hobbies change over one's lifetime. I am now an Old Coot in the mid sixties and what was fun and dandy in high school now seems to be more and more of an abstract rather than a compelling necessity. This includes my lifetime affection of collecting and shooting various firearms. If I had $saved$ what I had spent on firearms, cars and girls, nowadays I would be in much better $retirement$ shape. Live and learn I supose. The first 3 guns to go may include two NIB Saigas with everything needed. Shit, shit, shit. HB of CJ (old coot)

The ex lady friend told me either some/all of my guns must go, or she goes. I am going to miss the non converted Saiga 12 and Saiga 308, plus all the goodies. Sniff, sniff....boo who. Funny that I do not miss her at all. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png All NFA rules apply. M2's are cool.

• Like 1

First wife wanted me to give up guns and Harley. Gave up first wife.

Second wife liked guns and Harley. Perfect. Well... Would have been perfect if not bi-polar.

OK, third wife is cool with guns and loves the Harley. And is not bi-polar. Guess I'll keep this one.

• Like 1

First wife wanted me to give up guns and Harley. Gave up first wife.

Second wife liked guns and Harley. Perfect. Well... Would have been perfect if not bi-polar.

OK, third wife is cool with guns and loves the Harley. And is not bi-polar. Guess I'll keep this one.

Yeah.......them bi-polars (sounds like a bear laugh.png ) are like flippen a damn light switch. I slept on the knives several times, crazy bitch.

• Like 1

10 or so years ago the wife said "How many guns you need you can only shoot one at a time?"....I looked at her and said "How many pairs of shoes and hand bags you need you can only wear one pair and use a one hand bag at a time?". Since that day I don't ask about her shoes and hand bags and she dosent ask me about guns...Its worked out rather well. LOL

• Like 2

My cash flow does not allow me to buy every gun I see, which actually works to my advantage. I get to evaluate those I have, discover if they fill their role the way I anticipated them too, and then decide whether to keep them, sell and buy a different one, or upgrade those I have.

I like variety, I'm not one of those guys who will have 10 different AK's and nothing else. Unless you run a museum I've never understood that mind set...

Edited by Jpanzer

If you are talking about just the "number" of guns, yes I think I have too many in fact. More than I like having to keep track of. But I like so many different kinds of guns that the number has to be kind of high. I should probably start selling one gun for every new one I buy but...........nah, that ain't gonna happen.

Edited by DogMan

I keep everything in pairs. Seems reasonable to me, gives me a very nice and well rounded collection, and the wife thinks two is much more reasonable than several. Then if one breaks i still have one until it is repaired or replaced. The recent XDS recall is a perfect example. I still have my XDM .45 until i gets back to me.

My shotguns are now my favortie as of this week. I added a KSG to my VEPR 12 as its second. The best made US 12 gauge and the best russian 12 sitting side by side is a beautiful thing. Best part is i got the KSG brand new for less than the VEPR.

Every time I think I do, I realize I don't. Looking at getting a 40 cal Springfield XD next simply because I don't own any 40 cal handguns.

It's like you're speaking my thoughts...

Edited by Darth Saigus

No. Every gun can suit a purpose but, none suit every purpose.

I made a list of mine, once.. I think I lost track at 12 guns.

It helps if you start consolidating calibers. It really cuts down on ammo.

I used to laugh at guys that seemed to loose track of how many guns they had, not anymore.

I'm looking at a Mosin now.

American WW2 rifles are getting spendy and hard to find. I'd love an M1 Carbine or Garand but, the AK platform is equally priced NEW. I don't just want a "wall-hanger".

Collect the ones you like to shoot and sell the rest.

Edited by Sim_Player