EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!

brisket1.jpg

13 pounds of USDA choice brisket! over 13 hours in the smoker... constant attention... lots of hardwood hickory... and love!!!

Smoky, super juicy, butter soft and fork tender...

EVERYONE who had some... (and that was about ten different folks) claimed  its the best they have ever tasted!!!

:smoke:

Pics of the crosscut sections to come tomorrow... I took a few TODAY when I was eating...  had some slices on the plate... even a day later they still are amazingly juicy, and still tender, with just the right mix of texture, and squoosh... LOL Dunno how else to say it!!! :lol:

:smoke:

nice brisket indy. thinking of getting one of those big green egg knockoffs next year.

but i have to admit,before clicking and after seeing the title and knowing your avatar, my first thought was gee, i didn't think you could post that in the general section..big_smile.gif

Holy shit give more details. I would LOVE to do a snoked brisket.. been meaning to make a brisket for a while. Love brisket but never made one myself. My wife doesnt like it so I will have to invite my dad over to help devour it

I started with a full 13 pound brisket. IBP BEEF, USDA Choice... Got it home, opened the vacuum pack, put it on a cookie sheet, and rubbed it with about equal parts of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Fired up the smoker, with a full chimney starter of lump charcoal ( I only use Malis Gourmet Lump Charcoal... link here to review :  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nakedwhiz.com%2Flumpdatabase%2Flumpbag76.htm&ei=xghWUvOFE8_a4APPz4HwDw&usg=AFQjCNEdQJtgc1Q4MqSYWPaM49NW_dL6Sg&sig2=tOFGomkUzeCP8935luyfxw&bvm=bv.53760139,d.dmg ) Set the coals on the far right side, including a few chunks of soaked hickory. Put a drip pan full of beer and sliced apples under the far left side, and once the grill got up to about 250 degrees F, I slapped the brisket over the drip pan.  Then, as above, it was 13 long, slow, impatient hours of monitoring temp, and coals, to maintain as close to 250 as possible. Adding a large handful of more lump every hour and alternating two or three dry hard hickory or soaked hickory chunks. each time I re-stoked the coals. Each time I opened the lid, the brisket was spritzed with apple juice. The brisket was never touched, turned, flipped, or wrapped... it just SAT THERE... after 10 hours I would check internal temps of the meat... Brisket SHOULD hit 190 when its done, then a half hour rest... mine got to 180... and since it was 1:30 in the morning... I said screw it, close enough... brought it inside, let it sit for 5 minutes, sliced off an inch on the THINNEST end... then covered it with foil, and stuck it in the fridge! ITs still Fabulous.. It had a decently thick layer of fat on the top side... Which helps to maintain juicyness, as it " bastes" the meat as it cooks... supposedly it should have been trimmed to an 8th of an inch thick... Well... oh well.

I am not saying I did everything " RIGHT" but it came out AWESOME... so I must have done ENOUGH right! LOL

Sounds great. Low and slow.

I have found that I like cob smoke better than hickory or apple. This is the time of year to gather some cobs, open them up, tie the the husks together, and hang them till dry. Then you can strip the kernels, soak the cobs and use them. They smolder much better than wood. The kernels make great feed for any wild creatures you might like to smoke, too.big_smile.gif

• Like 1

Tool, what's the smoke actually taste like? My mind can't come to grips with not wood in their

It's mellower and sweeter than wood, unless you go to far. It's never bitter. Think smoked ham or turkey flavor. We usually smoke our hams until almost black. It also turns cheese into an aphrodisiac. haha.gif Really though, cob smoking was traditional with farmers after the cobs were stripped of the kernels. "Nothing wasted."  

We use a portable, homemade smoker that is a 55 gallon drum stood up on a frame. Below that is a tiny old coal stove that came out of a train caboose. That has a 3" stove pipe into the bottom of the barrel. Rods are stuck through the barrel to lay grates on or hang wire baskets. A heavy wet burlap cloth "blanket" is laid across the to of the barrel to keep the smoke in and allow gasses to escape. We usually only smoke after the weather gets cold. If I think of it I'll take a couple pics o the set-up this year.

Here's an interesting bit.... http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/smoking-wood.html