• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

. . . 

I'm on hold purchasing anything else from Kel-Tec. I purchased a new out of the box SUB-2000 that has a issue with the safety. After I incurred the expense of sending it back to the factory, it still

+1 to post #2 -- It seems like Q/C is all over the map. Some of them have major feed problems (that can't be cured with sand paper and a drill bit.) From what I've read/ been told, there are some tole

Posted Images

I may be more interested if they had a decent following for spare/replacement parts. Thats the one thing that concerns me. I havent been able to find a whole lot. I was interested in one, but after finger bangin one at my local shop and seen the price, I decided to pass.

+1 to post #2 -- It seems like Q/C is all over the map. Some of them have major feed problems (that can't be cured with sand paper and a drill bit.) From what I've read/ been told, there are some tolerance points which are effected by casting variances which create some major problems in the lifter area. If it's not a problem on one gun, then the owner loves the gun. If it is a problem, then it is a nightmare.

i.e. this. Article     Vid that goes with the article

If you can try before you buy, sure, but I would not buy unless I could be sure I got one that fed shells properly. Also, Ergonomically you pretty much want either an AFG or a vertical fore grip, because you have to really snap that pump around, and the angle you hold it favors such a handle. The first batch or two had a problem with the plastic pic rail breaking at the VFG. I've seen a couple pictures that sheered off at the action bars too.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 3

If you can try before you buy, sure, but I would not buy unless I could be sure I got one that fed shells properly. Also, Ergonomically you pretty much want either an AFG or a vertical fore grip, because you have to really snap that pump around, and the angle you hold it favors such a handle. The first batch or two had a problem with the plastic pic rail breaking at the VFG. I've seen a couple pictures that sheered off at the action bars too.

Ive seen a few of them like that too, and that made me cautious from the get go.

Hmm so basicly luck of the draw.. iis there something similar that actually works? Ive seen the utas? I believe? And it seems to have lower reviews than the ksg.

Bull pupped saigas seem to,work pretty good.

I couldn't get past the frickin shells bouncing off my body and arm as they eject, very distracting.

I had one on preorder at my lgs before they hit the streets then had a chance to try one before I picked it up. Couldn't get my order canceled fast enough.

For my money it's a SBS saiga in the future.

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 1

MAC also had a fairly poor experience with the 870 kit  His criticisms seem to be fair to me, and he is in the business of promoting products he likes. It's pretty clear that he would have given it a good review if he could, because he wanted to like it. I mostly see negative stuff from owners of UTAS who aren't professional gun endorsers. UTAS is also rather heavy and chunky. 

Of that group, I'd 1: pup an S12, or 2 find your local gun trader forum and look for a KSG that the owner will let you test drive. They seem to be good, when they weren't built in a hurry. 

IMO the whole point of this category is 1 size /ergonomics without SBR: 2: capacity 3: something different. To me they are all for naught if it doesn't run properly.

So far, a pupped S12 wins handily on the first two., and is way faster to reload, and is semiauto. It's the only one of the above that seems to work reliably either. (assuming you start with a healthy S12- but you know those issues already.)

• Like 1

I'm on hold purchasing anything else from Kel-Tec. I purchased a new out of the box SUB-2000 that has a issue with the safety. After I incurred the expense of sending it back to the factory, it still has an issue. I really want to like their products, but I'm on hold until things improve. A brand new gun should not exhibit this behavior.

• Like 3

I'm on hold purchasing anything else from Kel-Tec. I purchased a new out of the box SUB-2000 that has a issue with the safety. After I incurred the expense of sending it back to the factory, it still has an issue. I really want to like their products, but I'm on hold until things improve. A brand new gun should not exhibit this behavior.

Fwiw i have a sub 2k and i love it.

Thinking about picking one up. Theyve been out for a bit and ive read positive reviews. Any input?

I have positive and negative.

Long story short:  Bought my KSG and went home to go shoot it.  Wouldn't  feed. 016.gif    I called Kel Tec to get it repaired.  I live about 3 hours from Kel Tec so the next day I drove there and had it fixed in a few hours.  Now, it runs flawless.  Got about 1,000 rounds +/- without any problems.  Besides all of the BS, I really like it.  My favorite part is that it loves the Aguila Mini Shells.  Fun as Hell to shoot!  011.gif

I agree with Gun Fun, don't buy unless you can make sure that it feeds properly.

I think that Kel Tec fixed the issues with the rail breaking.

Go handle one and try to switch feeding tubes fast. It's not easy. I've sold 12 last year to have people trade them back in on something else. Cool concept but realistically not that great.

and if they were avail on shelf folks wouldnt hype em...its innovation coupled with scarcity that sells their products.  

I've had a lot of good stuff come in. But your right not worth the hype and sporadic shipments don't help and random availability. Cod black ops 2 didn't help any since most of the younger mall ninjas are the ones buying them and not liking them since they don't shoot like the game shows.

Before I became a proud Saiga owner, I was about to buy a KSG. Just seemed like a cool concept. I went Saiga and never really looked back. Never shot the KSG but have handled them. Compared to the UTAS, the KSG feels like a dream. If you must have a bullpump, maybe the old Maverick 88. They can be acquired for about half the cost. My first shotgun (12ga.) and my fiancee's first SG (in 20ga.) were both Maverick 88's. IDC for bullpups but cheap Mavericks have treated me well. As much as I love my Saiga, my Maverick is still the 1 next to my bed.

We've sold about 50 of the UTS-15's, there have been a few that they sent back for updates, we've had 3 sent back to us, saying they don't feed, ejection problems, etc.

EVERY ONE ran 100% for us, we have 4 guys working in our shop we each ran a full mag through them with no malfunctions.

What do you tell the customer ? ?

we did do some additional tweaking on them, mostly minor stuff, but it does make them a little smoother, same thing can be accomplished with rounds down the pipe.

I'm a KelTec fan boy. I have several and my pride and joy is an RFB. My RFB is a generation 1 and I use only NATO radway green in it. I followed the directions and never had a single problem getting it to run properly. There were some problems with the RFB and since it's such a complicated weapon, you are bound to have people rant and rave about their problems. It's kinda like going out to eat. If you have a good time, you may tell one person. If you have a bad time you tell dozens.

I find that the KSG is less reliable than an 870 or a 590a1. It is ackward and sticky even after hundreds of rounds down range. The price is retarded.

It's different. It's fancy. It's not worth it.

I made 200 bucks on it after determining that it was more of a novelty.

Hate to say that about the KelTec but that's the way it is. I love their innovation and weapons. I simply hated the KSG.

My buddy is going to buy the new bullpup kit for the 870. The 870 is already proven so it may turn out to be a cool kit for around 300 bucks. This may be a better option but the capacity is lacking compared to the KSG.

• Like 1

RFB appeals much more to me. Bullpup is a step forward, pump is a step back. KSG should have been semi. Then there would never have been short stroking issues. Now that there are established box fed guns, tubes is a step back IMO. Multitube is a complicated solution to the capacity problem that is inferior to the simple solution of detachable straight insert mags.  Mag fed would have solved the complicated lifter/sorter mechanism. They could have done little drums i.e. promag 12 and every one would have been happy. 

I like where they put the weight and bulk, and for LE, the ability to easily select ammo is a plus. If it had been semi, it would still be a well thought out package. As it is, it doesn't seem all that innovative. It's sort of like bragging about the pneumatic tires on your horse cart. Yes, it's an improvement, but we've had better for decades.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that many of the reasons for the KSGs existence are political.

The KSG beautifully circumvents a number of state and local ordinances that would otherwise prevent a person from having a similar shotgun. Example: a big sticking point for me is the fact that the tube selector is not able to switch tubes automatically or alternate tubes like the original Neostead design did. However, this means that it technically has only a 7-round capacity, not 14. This gets around places with laws restricting "high-capacity" shotguns. Both tubes are permanently attached, so its legal in places that do not allow detachable-magazine shotguns. At 26.1 inches in length with a 18.5 inch barrel it also meets all minimum length requirements.

That being said, I'm not particularly interested. Neat idea though.

• Like 3