That

They ban 3 gun commercials but they just have a commercial singing america the beautiful in f@'.king Spanish. ARE YOU FOR F@/KING REAL

That was a coke ad right? Seemed to fall flat.

Oddly they had almost a dozen commercials with guns in them... Go figure.

That

They ban 3 gun commercials but they just have a commercial singing america the beautiful in f@'.king Spanish. ARE YOU FOR F@/KING REAL

That was a coke ad right? Seemed to fall flat.

Oddly they had almost a dozen commercials with guns in them... Go figure.

That a pun? If so its a good one. 

Flatter than the Denver offensive line... 

I for one find it very ironic that our proud brave military for over 60 years bled and died to kept the peace and that songs were certainly not played at the Super Bowl, (if we had one) IN RUSSIAN!!!

It is very sad that today we have major advertisers singing songs in the wrong language.  Fifth column?  So...what are we going to do about it?  Most of us nothing at all.  We don't seem to give a shit.

Our job now is to become politically active and try to pass forward to a dozen people what the meaning is being an American and what our proud country really means.  If we do not, we are fucked.  HB

Politically active is the civil way.  Really don't think that is how the others are doing it.  Appreciate competitors and yet don't like losing. 

Non-representatives exploit all sides.

Yup was in many languages...multicultural citizenship of this nation. 

Edited by NM0

Wait. After watching the ad I can say screw you guys. The ad was in 7 different languages and symbolizes what America is about. It's about America being special and people from around the world wanting to live here. I guess really it's about coke being worldwide and love America but same sentiment.

I'm as anti illegal as any volunteer, but that's not what I saw. We are a nation of immigrants and the only one in that commercial that belong here were the Keres.

Edited by beefcakeb0
  • Like 3

I've gotta go with beef on this one.  I don't believe anyone coming to this country should be required to learn English anymore than us being required to learn Cherokee or Iroquois.  Besides, I've never met a second generation immigrant who couldn't speak English (and usually one or two more language) anyway... so whats your guys big fear?  I don't want to be forced to be like anyone else, why would I want that for someone else?

• Like 3

Third gen here.  The first gen learned English quickly and served our country to be proud Americans.  They did not give up their native language.

I know qualified people that did not get advancements in their jobs here in the US because they only fluently spoke English...not so good at the second language.  Guess Europe was right to teach four or more languages to get by.  Blowing off foreign language in HS is a real PITA now for some.

Common ground is not so common anymore.

• Like 1

You don't have to live in America to love it, can you fathom how many foreign citizens would love to come here? Also a huge number of non Americans speak English. Even Somalians speak some. Shotgun Messiah do you understand that an immigrant cannot become president right? It's a requirement. Whether or not we think our current was born elsewhere and I have my doubts as well but they say he is and not much hard evidence to prove otherwise so that kinda null argument.

• Like 1

First off, I can't believe Orwell's "1984" was so right, bunch of living zombies watching sports and psuedo reality tv, wuss whining about kids being able to do something they can't.

Secondly, if you're stupid enough to drink that battery acidy shit, you deserve your stomach issues and poor health.

Fucking grow up people.

Wait. After watching the ad I can say screw you guys. The ad was in 7 different languages and symbolizes what America is about. It's about America being special and people from around the world wanting to live here. I guess really it's about coke being worldwide and love America but same sentiment.

I'm as anti illegal as any volunteer, but that's not what I saw. We are a nation of immigrants and the only one in that commercial that belong here were the Keres.

I said it fell flat because it did not lead in or fade out with an explanation.. Was it saying that all immigrants should be legalized no questions asked.. Or was it saying what you take it to mean. 

My family are mostly immigrants, but they came over legally... Mostly because they fled out of Europe for being communists and starting a failed armed uprising, but we seem to have gotten that out of our systems in the past 100 years or so... At least mostly... We still like our guns, just gave up on the other stuff.

I think its silly that no gun companies could run ads that had no guns.. Yet they had Jack Bauer shooting a few people during the commercials. I recall at least three other commercials with firearms involved, just not for firearm products.

In all reality I think all the gun companies made their commercials with full knowledge that they would not be allowed to run them... They would likely not have run them if they had been allowed.  

• Like 1

I said it fell flat because it did not lead in or fade out with an explanation.. Was it saying that all immigrants should be legalized no questions asked.. Or was it saying what you take it to mean. 

My family are mostly immigrants, but they came over legally... Mostly because they fled out of Europe for being communists and starting a failed armed uprising, but we seem to have gotten that out of our systems in the past 100 years or so... At least mostly... We still like our guns, just gave up on the other stuff.

I think its silly that no gun companies could run ads that had no guns.. Yet they had Jack Bauer shooting a few people during the commercials. I recall at least three other commercials with firearms involved, just not for firearm products.

In all reality I think all the gun companies made their commercials with full knowledge that they would not be allowed to run them... They would likely not have run them if they had been allowed.  

Well yea you are correct, you didn't really day anything negative

I thought all the commercials sucked and quit paying attention to them.  Well...  The one where the girl was gonna lick yogurt off the guy's lap was starting to give me a bonerhaha.gif

I gave up giving a shit about the spanish thing.  It is a service that companies offer that makes them big money due to the large hispanic population.  People here legally have the same rights as us.  Nobody is forcing me to speak spanish and if I want to keep this a free country I will not endorse forcing someone to learn english.

• Like 1

Gun companies being banned = shitty

But I'm not really upset about the song.  When my people came from Germany in the late 1880s they didn't know English.  In my home town at the end of the 19th Century you were as likely to hear German as English. 

• Like 1

I'm not upset about the song because I see what they're doing with it. They're trying to show that Americans come from everywhere and I can appreciate that. Should have had a verse in Gaelic!

I have a few friends that are Sikh, the only foriegn friends I really have. These guys work hard for 12 hours a day, walk to and from work, and fucking love America because of the opportunity they have here. No, they aren't taking a handout from anyone. Some of the conversations we've had, they're more American that the people milking the system and making a career out of what are supposed to be assistance programs.

• Like 1

The coke ad bothered me, but didn't piss me off. What pissed me off were the number of shows and advertisments that featured people shooting or holding guns that did get shown. The Daniel Defense ad didn't even show a rifle and it wasn't allowed! When I saw that shit, I realized just how politicaly polarized this country has become.

• Like 1

Dunno how I feel on the commercial?

My great grandmother Elsa Louisa Grokenburger came over when she was five. Her parents called her Elsie Louise and refused to speak to her in public in the only language she knew. She was forced to learn English very quickly at five without much reason given to her. She forgot how to speak German, and had no accent at all.

Guess others had something to say about it too.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/02/03/coca-cola-super-bowl-ad-stirs-controversy-with-multilingual-singing-of-america-the-beautiful/

It is interesting how our perspectives have become programmed to the point where most see one side or the other.  Not much in between nowadays.

I think a lot of folks are getting exhausted with hyper-partisanism.  I think the shit-stirring talking heads have wound us up about as much as they're able and things are getting ready to snap back to the middle. 

• Like 1

Couldn't give a rats nut sack about the commercial. It's a commercial.

I do think there is a dangerous tactical/political advantage for some tyrannical ass-clowns in power in trying to keep,us classified and separated into individual tribes. Without the ability to communicate with a common language it's a lot easier to control the "masses" . Weather it's the actual language you speak or so separated by ideology you can't speak to one another, they win.

When I was learning a second language my O'l pappy told me " A multilingual individual is blessed, a multilingual nation is cursed "

History confirms his words.

I think a lot of folks are getting exhausted with hyper-partisanism.  I think the shit-stirring talking heads have wound us up about as much as they're able and things are getting ready to snap back to the middle. 

Sure hope your right.  

Couldn't give a rats nut sack about the commercial. It's a commercial.

I do think there is a dangerous tactical/political advantage for some tyrannical ass-clowns in power in trying to keep,us classified and separated into individual tribes. Without the ability to communicate with a common language it's a lot easier to control the "masses" . Weather it's the actual language you speak or so separated by ideology you can't speak to one another, they win.

When I was learning a second language my O'l pappy told me " A multilingual individual is blessed, a multilingual nation is cursed "

History confirms his words.

Good call.  After more thinking on this subject, the more non english speakers are catered to, the less they feel the need to learn the language.  This, in itself, creates division.

• Like 1