LEO stops you in public and asks to see your ID....

I really think it would depend on what I was doing. And were I was going. I assume that this is on foot. Of course it is the same here in regards to CCW permits. I am required to announce it. The way the law was written, they have the option to disarm you during the encounter. Ohio is a very conservative state, unless you enter a city of a meaningful size. then you are in enemy territory. 

• Like 1

Not just no. HELL NO. If he persists then I ask to have a supervisor brought to the scene. I'll also ask any passers-by to stand by as a witness. Yeah, he's going to have to arrest me if he is demanding to see I.D. with no legitimate reason to do so.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 7

America is not Nazi Germany. If they ask, ask to see their papers. If they produce their papers then you can offer them this. I have a copy on me at all times. You may copy this and use it.

BY HANDING YOU THIS ID, I AM CLAIMING YOU AS MY TRUSTEE: BY YOU TAKING THIS ID, YOU HAVE ACCEPTED YOUR FIDUCIARY DUTIES FOR ME. HANDED TO AND LEFT WITH: X

That is all that is written on a plain white business card. If they want more information, ask to see an ranking officer and not a sgt or lower.

• Like 3

Yes. Why wouldn't you? You have something to hide? Nothing to worry about of you aren't a criminal. Right? Same goes for unwarranted home or vehicle searches.

Seriously though... Pretty sure that if I'm carrying that I have to in Indiana.

Depends on the State you live in, or are visiting.

Some have laws requiring you to provide ID on demand, some don't.

Most require Reasonable & Articulable Suspicion.

Know the law.

They better have a good reason why they want to see my ID gun or no gun working or not working.

I understand it helps them do their job but if it is a random stop, they are stopping me from doing my job or wasting  my well deserved time off.

This is coming from being stopped by a cop because I looked at him. I see somebody armed, badge or no badge, I tend to look and do a once over. Force of habit apparently unliked by local cops. And no, I was not carrying at the time. The only thing I was guilty of was failing to break eye contact when he tried to stare me down.

The only thing I was guilty of was failing to break eye contact when he tried to stare me down.

No offense intended, but staring hard at an officer like that will set off all the same alarm bells you would hear if "some random guy" started staring at YOU that hard. The difference being that an officer can stop and ask you a few questions in the course of his duties, while you would only be seen as more of a threat to some random guy if you started asking him a bunch of questions.

Most State Highway Patrol officers will pull over vehicles for "small" things like a taillight out or changing lanes without signaling, but they are trained to start asking "routine" questions during the stop and gauge the driver's reactions. The OSP have made many large drug busts that way.

this event this morning kind of fits with this topic:

Time to go shopping

At Men’s Wearhouse, maybe a trip to the barber too

I have a long daily commute a little over 50 miles each way. There are times I have to make a stop for cigs or just to take a leak. This morning was a leak day so I stopped at a What-a-Burger that’s roughly at the 40 mile mark. A guy in the parking lot with the usual sad story of being from out of town and broke needs money for gas and food has 5 kids a pregnant dog or wife…

Well this morning I actually don’t even have any change on me and I really want to go take that piss I stopped for. So while he’s going on and on I’m still walking towards the door when up comes a sheriffs car. He steps out and says “sir I need to talk to you”. I’m thinking thank God someone’s called about this guy and now I can get to the pisser in peace. So I continue towards the door and get a louder “sir stop I need to talk to you”, oh shit he’s talking to me.

Now I’m sure at this point I have a worried look on my face not about the deputy but at 60 pissing my pants isn’t something I want to do. The deputy starts in with “there have been some complaints about you harassing customers, private property, violations of ….”

One of the employees sticks his head out and says “it’s not him it’s the other guy that’s walking away briskly now” Get a quick “sorry for the misunderstanding” from the deputy and I all but run into the place and get to go piss.

While I standing there with one of the great leaks of all time going on for about 3 minutes I have time to reflect. There’s been a call about a bum bothering people in the parking lot and when the cops show up and the bum and I are standing there side by side based on looks alone I’m the suspect. It may be time to give my appearance some attention and/or buy some Depends underpants for that damn drive.

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • Like 3

Well I didn't initiate the stare, he did. I actually smiled at him the whole time i was looking at him and he never reciprocated. I was there on official business and did not produce my drivers license. I showed him my work ID/badge which I was wearing around my neck. That was it. But the incident bothered me. Honestly, I was even wearing a suit. I know cops can be paranoid, but some of them need to lay of the caffeine.

I would surmise the officer wanted to know who was locking eyes with him and if you represented trouble coming his way.  With your ID he can check you out on the radio.  No rap sheet, no attitude, no problem.  Being suspicious helps keep you alive when you wear the uniform and carry a badge.  How did he treat you after he saw your ID?  Was he courteous or did he display an attitude of his own?

Let me explain something else guys. Right now I live in a pretty crappy part of the great state of Texas. Official corruption is all over the freaking place and often times cops are used as enforcers by corrupt politicians. To add to that, recently a large number of cops down here have been arrested for everything from sexual assault of minors, to providing armed esscorts for drug dealers and shipments. Their reputations are currently in the shitter. So yes, maybe I am a little bit guilty of looking at them suspiciously, but looking at people is not a crime and not IMO, a good enough reason to stop and question. This ain't New York.

He was probably standing there thinking about how much his life sucked and wishing that he had a job where he could wear a suit to work instead.

When I'm around an officer, I tend to study them too..uniform, gun, demeanor, etc.

His attitude didn't change one bit. He remained a prick and starred at me when I was leaving the place a few minutes later. I smiled and waved.

Well, he could have been courteous even if he chose to remain stone faced.  Some people are serious souls.  He sounds like he has issues but I'm not sure we can extrapolate based on a single encounter.  Maybe his wife told him she was having an affair with his father that morning before reporting to work or maybe he had to whiz like a racehorse but couldn't leave his post until relief coverage showed up.  Who knows?  I'd chalk it up to an isolated unfortunate experience and let it go.

As for the corruption problem where you live, I'm sorry to hear about that.  I've never experienced that in law enforcement but have run into similar kinds of experience in the corporate world.  One corrupt leader can influence a lot of direct reports and the corporate environment.  I'm sure the same happens with politicians and authorities in law enforcement.  Keep your chin up.  Maybe you should consider looking for greener pastures.  It's just a thought.

This is coming from being stopped by a cop because I looked at him. I see somebody armed, badge or no badge, I tend to look and do a once over. Force of habit apparently unliked by local cops. And no, I was not carrying at the time. The only thing I was guilty of was failing to break eye contact when he tried to stare me down.

Try sunglasses.

Its best to comply.

Lawyers can be used later, but a face plant to the gravel can be avoided .

Most LEOs are great people doing a very hard job.

Some are off the rails, and its best not to allow an altercation to occur

yep this, generally it's not worth my time to try to make a point

and these people will run in anybody no really anybody

post-26137-0-85851000-1399652639.gif

post-26137-0-23741800-1399652664.jpg

yep, it don't cost them anything to "run you in" on real or bogus reasons, they're using not their money, but taxpayer money. ie. your money.  you'll be the one "footing the bill" for your defense.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Yes it's not worth your time and effort to make a point.  Just do what they say.  It's easier.  It's safer.  They have the badge.  They have the gun.  They have the power.  And that makes them right.

Let's just say that both DLT and the cop had an attitude, or one had an attitude and the other didn't, or neither had an attitude but one of them thought the other one did. Take your pick, because it doesn't matter. The law is the law and it is there for a reason and just for this type of scenario. No cop is going to unjustly ask you for I.D. for absolutely no reason whatsoever , he's wrongly going to do it based on some scanty reason like a hunch, a whim, because he doesn't like your looks, or because you stared at him too long. This incident, and all of the "borderline" type incidents are exactly why we have these protections, and why we need them. It's for when the cop "thinks" he has justification, but actually doesn't.

Edited by DogMan

I guess it comes down to what you believe your time is worth and if you think the police serve a useful function.

I’m not going into the policing powers of an officer to ask to see ID for whatever reason you’re not aware of or the usual forum BS about if you go along you’re sheeple crap.

I generally accept the officer is performing his duty and if you decide to play the I know my rights card, you stand a good chance of having a couple of days of your life fucked up and less money in your pocket.

If this is something you want to make a point of instead of just pulling out your ID more power to ya.

Once the shit starts even if it was some bull shit reason the cop had for asking for the ID to start with you’re going to loose with both the cop and if it come to it in the courtroom.

No it’s not right but it’s real.