• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BS MH. Just because people have more expensive firearms than we do, does not mean they have gone into debt to purchase them, and to Maxwelhse's point, there have been plenty of cheap firearms that I w

IMHO there is plenty of room and respect for all shooters; One mans floor is another mans ceiling. It's all good. I enjoy it all.

Hello Everyone:   I finally got to visit the range last weekend after a long absence. Got familiarized with a .44 Magnum lever rifle. I thought I knew something about guns until a couple of guys sho

Posted Images

I've been at our local range at times when guys show up with their 25-06 scoped rifles and proceed to place three shots into a dime sized area and that's okay.  I admit that's impressive.  But those same guys always freak out when I put all my shots on a paper plate with open sights at the same distance with an AK.  

Easy big boy...  You almost drowned me in BShaha.gif

No BS.  I've got some target pics I could post, but you probably wouldn't believe them.  All I need is a calm day, a nice sack of deer corn to rest my rifle, and for my eyes to be rested, and I can hit a paper plate all day long.  It's really easy with an AR.  The AK is tricky because you really have to know your rifle. My SGL for example, I have to place the front post to the left of the target at 100 yards to hit where I want.  Closer than that, it's dead on.  But for some reason, I have to adjust like that.  The 22" and 16" S308's on the other hand are dead on at 100.  Every rifle I own has it's own characteristics.  

Sorry, I must not have read it all correctly.  For some reason I was thinking that you were putting dime sized groups on a paper plate.  My bad...

• Like 1

The most important thing is that you are out there, shooting and having fun! If someone comes out with a smart ass comment while holding their safe queen and Night Force optic, tell them they have a nice rifle. Ask them why they went with the Night Force instead of a S&B. :) That will make their already small penis feel even smaller.

The AI rifles are very nice. I feel that the Surgeons are even better. You know what? Savage makes a rifle that will shoot just as good with a trained marksman, it just wont hold up to the same abuse that a H&S or Surgeon would. Do you plan on being in a situation where you rifle may fall out of a perfectly good airplane or spend hours in the back of an APC? If not, save some money and go with the Savage.

And finally, there are the ones who can and can't. Worry about yourself on the range. Concentrate on bettering your skills and forget all the Mall Ninja crap.

"Check out my new Noveske AR! I have all the latest shit on it!"   ......

"Nice, where's your sling Private!?"

• Like 1

I've been at our local range at times when guys show up with their 25-06 scoped rifles and proceed to place three shots into a dime sized area and that's okay.  I admit that's impressive.  But those same guys always freak out when I put all my shots on a paper plate with open sights at the same distance with an AK.  

Easy big boy...  You almost drowned me in BShaha.gif

No BS.  I've got some target pics I could post, but you probably wouldn't believe them.  All I need is a calm day, a nice sack of deer corn to rest my rifle, and for my eyes to be rested, and I can hit a paper plate all day long.  It's really easy with an AR.  The AK is tricky because you really have to know your rifle. My SGL for example, I have to place the front post to the left of the target at 100 yards to hit where I want.  Closer than that, it's dead on.  But for some reason, I have to adjust like that.  The 22" and 16" S308's on the other hand are dead on at 100.  Every rifle I own has it's own characteristics.  

Sorry, I must not have read it all correctly.  For some reason I was thinking that you were putting dime sized groups on a paper plate.  My bad...

You avatar if more than enough forgiveness.  Thank you so much for that!!!!

I'm all for extreme marksmanship (I'll define that as 500 yards+) and I think it would be a lot of fun to "tinker" with... The sad fact is that its really impractical for most people to be able to train at that distance unless you have a bunch of private land to shoot on. The longest range around here is 450 yards. To me a 1/4 of a mile is a LONG way away. I'm delighted to hit 200 yards with very modest equipment and incredibly slack training. I've never spent much time out further than that because the range I spoke of is still like an hour drive.

In most of my pursuits I try to be right down the center because that seems to be the meaty part of most subjects. Most of my hobby stuff (and to me firearms are a hobby) is good to very good quality, but almost never the "best". That seems to be where the fun and practicality is. I suppose if it were the '50s I'd be driving a Buick or a Mercury. smile.png

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

I'm all for extreme marksmanship (I'll define that as 500 yards+) and I think it would be a lot of fun to "tinker" with... The sad fact is that its really impractical for most people to be able to train at that distance unless you have a bunch of private land to shoot on. The longest range around here is 450 yards. To me a 1/4 of a mile is a LONG way away. I'm delighted to hit 200 yards with very modest equipment and incredibly slack training. I've never spent much time out further than that because the range I spoke of is still like an hour drive.

In most of my pursuits I try to be right down the center because that seems to be the meaty part of most subjects. Most of my hobby stuff (and to me firearms are a hobby) is good to very good quality, but almost never the "best". That seems to be where the fun and practicality is. I suppose if it were the '50s I'd be driving a Buick or a Mercury. smile.png

Well stated.

I doubt there is a range over 300m in the entire state of LA. I havent found it yet if there is one.

100m is an effective training distance considering the entire US .mil cut its teeth on it though several wars and enjoyed considerable results.

But unless you are using a 22LR there will be factors at  long range that dont exist at 100m.

Which brings up yet again how useful the little round can be.

100m is an effective training distance considering the entire US .mil cut its teeth on it though several wars and enjoyed considerable results.

Yep... and if I'm not mistaken the military calls people "experts" if they are proficient at that distance, or at least used to. I know there's more to it than that, but a football field is pretty dang good with iron sights as far as I'm concerned. My shooting at 150-200 (more or less guessing based on my buddy's size of land) has been done with at least a cheap scope. Making out a mini-van vs. a 1 ton truck at 2 football fields away is more than my eyes can manage. A man sized target and knowing what's behind it? LOL! smile.png

I still think it would be fun to play with long distance shooting.

Edited by Maxwelhse

Well I have come to the conclusion that this thread is really about penis envy, if you don't look at the other guys junk, you won't have it  horror.gif

You're the guy that won't buy a Bond Arms or NAA! I'm secure... :)

Edited by Maxwelhse

Snobs are snobs.  I use to shoot at a friends range in VA.  This guy next to me had about 3 kimbers on his table and some other pricey shit.  Me, two Bersa's, a RIA 1911 HC .45, and my fathers Ruger Security Six.  I do not get to shoot much, so when I get all of my rounds in the torso at 25 yards, I am happy.  This guy made it a point to inform me that I would be better off getting a .22 and learning how to group my shots better (maybe he is correct, but when I only get to shoot once or twice a year, I am happy).  I was about to 'cook off', when my friend came over and interrupted.  There were many more like him, mostly NOT liking my Saiga 12, my PTR-91 and my beloved converted Saiga 7.62 (too evil looking I guess).  Then again, there were some really great and friendly people there as well. Use to love watching the Father/sons learning how to shoot.  So, take the good with the bad....their will always be those with Penis Envy.  The only time I get it is when I see someone with a FNL or a M-14/M1...man, those things make my butt hurt....and my wallet cringe!  :)   Good for them! 

Snobs are snobs. I use to shoot at a friends range in VA. This guy next to me had about 3 kimbers on his table and some other pricey shit. Me, two Bersa's, a RIA 1911 HC .45, and my fathers Ruger Security Six. I do not get to shoot much, so when I get all of my rounds in the torso at 25 yards, I am happy. This guy made it a point to inform me that I would be better off getting a .22 and learning how to group my shots better (maybe he is correct, but when I only get to shoot once or twice a year, I am happy). I was about to 'cook off', when my friend came over and interrupted. There were many more like him, mostly NOT liking my Saiga 12, my PTR-91 and my beloved converted Saiga 7.62 (too evil looking I guess). Then again, there were some really great and friendly people there as well. Use to love watching the Father/sons learning how to shoot. So, take the good with the bad....their will always be those with Penis Envy. The only time I get it is when I see someone with a FNL or a M-14/M1...man, those things make my butt hurt....and my wallet cringe! :) Good for them!

sounds like you couldn't shoot and he was giving you a good tip. I had a new friend over to shoot and saw how he and his wife were almost ashamed to get 5 yards away with a pistol. My tip was to get close and as you see your groups get tighter and tighter and can call and place shots then move further away. This will build confidence and help greatly. The 22 tip works because it takes many many rounds to get any good with a pistol. Not trying to poop in your corn flakes or anything.

25 yards it's a LONG shot with a handgun.

No worries, my wife poops in my corn flakes enough.  Nope, he was being an arrogant ass and he really didn't like my .357 being fired next to him...I guess it bothered him.  His tip was good....if I wanted to buy and shoot a .22 and if I was concerned with small groupings, which I was not.  Oh, I can shoot, but I will never be the 'look at my groupings' type of guy. 

I think 15 to 25 yards is fine.  That is with my 9's and up.  Now my .380's...you are correct.  Wish I did have more time to shoot though.  Funny how I fled the
East Coast to move back to Texas, and now I haven't shot in over a year....to busy trying to find a job. 

I'm not the greatest pistol shot, I just don't practice enough.. But a few weeks back at my cousin's place, I was able to ring the 100yd "bad guy" steel plate a few times per mag with my CZ-82. Maybe something in the water over there.

Snobs are snobs.  I use to shoot at a friends range in VA.  This guy next to me had about 3 kimbers on his table and some other pricey shit.  Me, two Bersa's, a RIA 1911 HC .45, and my fathers Ruger Security Six.  I do not get to shoot much, so when I get all of my rounds in the torso at 25 yards, I am happy.  This guy made it a point to inform me that I would be better off getting a .22 and learning how to group my shots better (maybe he is correct, but when I only get to shoot once or twice a year, I am happy).  I was about to 'cook off', when my friend came over and interrupted.  There were many more like him, mostly NOT liking my Saiga 12, my PTR-91 and my beloved converted Saiga 7.62 (too evil looking I guess).  Then again, there were some really great and friendly people there as well. Use to love watching the Father/sons learning how to shoot.  So, take the good with the bad....their will always be those with Penis Envy.  The only time I get it is when I see someone with a FNL or a M-14/M1...man, those things make my butt hurt....and my wallet cringe!  smile.png   Good for them! 

I love this logic. Someone buys a better made roduct and automatically a snob. (Although Kimbers lately have been shit). How about buy once cry once. I'd love to see that Bersa go 10k or even 5k rounds in 6 months without some serious shit getting fixed. Basically that Bersa is something that gets replaced once every 2 years or so. Why would I want to do that? Im not even going to start on the pot metal RIA's. Guy buys a better quality product and gives you good advice, albeit unwanted, and he has "penis envy"? lol

Well I have come to the conclusion that this thread is really about penis envy, if you don't look at the other guys junk, you won't have it :horror:

Mines bigger than yours ! HAA !! HAA !!

post-39558-0-66130700-1403193580_thumb.jpgpost-39558-0-58483700-1403193621_thumb.jpg

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 1

Recently shot beyond 200yds with my AR15.. with irons.. out to 450 and then 500 yards.. was happy with hits on the 16"x9" railroad plates..

Again I have sent quite a few rounds downrange with this rifle.. and this was off a sandbag on top a styrofoam cooler.. while I was sitting on a downed telephone pole..

The guys I was shooting with were impressed.. I was a little.. but not alot.. I want to do that by taking a 'knee'..

• Like 1

Recently shot beyond 200yds with my AR15.. with irons.. out to 450 and then 500 yards.. was happy with hits on the 16"x9" railroad plates..

Again I have sent quite a few rounds downrange with this rifle.. and this was off a sandbag on top a styrofoam cooler.. while I was sitting on a downed telephone pole..

The guys I was shooting with were impressed.. I was a little.. but not alot.. I want to do that by taking a 'knee'..

I think that's pretty sporty shooting 9"x16" plates at 500 yards using iron sights.  Styrofoam coolers are a well respected shooting rest, especially when loaded with cold beer!

Doug

Well I have come to the conclusion that this thread is really about penis envy, if you don't look at the other guys junk, you won't have it horror.gif

Mines bigger than yours ! HAA !! HAA !!

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

you just Had to show the logo on the scope...giggle

How are your groups at 100yds???

It's a Tasco scope with a NightForce sticker on the knob!

• Like 1

Well I have come to the conclusion that this thread is really about penis envy, if you don't look at the other guys junk, you won't have it :horror:

Mines bigger than yours ! HAA !! HAA !!attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yup, I had to giggle a little too.

Best of, last time zeroing at 100.

300 gr. Berger OTMs

post-39558-0-12801800-1403205093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Long Shot

Well I have come to the conclusion that this thread is really about penis envy, if you don't look at the other guys junk, you won't have it horror.gif

Mines bigger than yours ! HAA !! HAA !!attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

300 gr. Berger OTMs

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Got your thumb over a flier? Just messing with you, nice group.

IMHO there is plenty of room and respect for all shooters; One mans floor is another mans ceiling. It's all good. I enjoy it all. smile.png

THIS^ -  Everybody has different goals, skills and budget.  I celebrate everyone who comes out to launch lead, regardless of their equipment, as long as they are safe and courteous.

Doug

• Like 2

I recently went to the range, and ran into a pistol guy like the rifle guys you mention. I forget what he was shooting, but he was really taking his time and squeezing them off slowly at 15 yards. Then he went on about complaining that for as much as his set up ran it should be getting tighter groups.

I stepped up to the line with my P6 drew the weapon and mag dumped with a softball sized grouping at 15 yards. He said he was impressed, and I told him I was just havin fun.

He packed up his range bag and left.

300 gr. Berger OTMsattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Got your thumb over a flier? Just messing with you, nice group.

IMHO there is plenty of room and respect for all shooters; One mans floor is another mans ceiling. It's all good. I enjoy it all. :)

THIS^ -  Everybody has different goals, skills and budget.  I celebrate everyone who comes out to launch lead, regardless of their equipment, as long as they are safe and courteous.

Doug

Thanks. I just have fun with It.

I've never set foot on an actual range. Don't have any formal training. It's just a ton of fun for me.

I recently went to the range, and ran into a pistol guy like the rifle guys you mention. I forget what he was shooting, but he was really taking his time and squeezing them off slowly at 15 yards. Then he went on about complaining that for as much as his set up ran it should be getting tighter groups.

I stepped up to the line with my P6 drew the weapon and mag dumped with a softball sized grouping at 15 yards. He said he was impressed, and I told him I was just havin fun.

He packed up his range bag and left.

Maybe his problem was operator related.

300 gr. Berger OTMs

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was joking about 100 yd groups.

You hardly ever see groups posted on this forum, and its the 100yd that shows up.

There are some real shooters here

But for many  just dumping mags into the berm as fast as they can is what its all about.

And people who have higher quality firearms are often ridiculed as incompetent or labeled as snobs ect.

there are those here that suffer from penis envy021.gif

I don't know, maybe I'm the only strange  person here that actually  goes to the range to shoot my firearms  and have a bit of fun putting holes in targets.

I don't  care what  other people's firearms are, their "setup", or go to show off to other people, or make it some social do-dad. fact is I don't even bother looking at other shooters  on the range, I set up my target walking back to the firing point shoot and just basically keep to myself. I do the same thing when I go to the rest room, I go piss in the urinal and don't go peaking at the other guy's "junk" next to me or strike up a conversation with him.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

I don't know, maybe I'm the only strange  person here that actually  goes to the range to shoot my firearms  and have a bit of fun putting holes in targets.

I do the same thing when I go to the rest room, I go piss in the urinal and then go peaking at the other guy's "junk" next to me or strike up a conversation with him, or both.

haha.gif haha.gifhaha.gif  

I just couldn't resist 018.gif

• Like 1

But for many  just dumping mags into the berm as fast as they can is what its all about.

It's the S-12 forum, Jim! :) That pretty much IS what that gun is about.

And people who have higher quality firearms are often ridiculed as incompetent or labeled as snobs ect.

I can only speak for myself, but I would only consider those people to have more money to spend than I do. Nothing right or wrong about whatever weapon they bought so long as it works for them.

I don't  care what  other people's firearms are, their "setup", or go to show off to other people, or make it some social do-dad. fact is I don't even bother looking at other shooters  on the range, I set up my target walking back to the firing point shoot and just basically keep to myself.

If I had that attitude I would have missed out on shooting some really great guns that other people brought to the range. If someone is safe and friendly I'm usually game to share.

I can only speak for myself, but I would only consider those people to have more money to spend than I do.

I would say that would be true if we transport ourselves 60  or so years back. but now? people having expensive things, doesn't equate to having lots of discretionary  money,  it just means  they are heavily in debt, buying things by using a CC, home loan etc...  in other words buying things with money they don't have to begin with

Edited by Matthew Hopkins