Texas Hog Shoot; Saiga 7.62x51 Or Saiga 12 With Slugs?

Got a friend who lives in the NE Hill Country who wants to start shooting hogs. He MAY have a choice between a Saiga 7.62x51 16" rifle or a Saiga 12 using slugs. Which would be best? Engagement range PROBABLY less than 50 yards. I do not know of the specifics. Yumm yumm? HB of CJ (old coot)

Both are fairly devastating at close range..

If over travel is not a problem I'd probably lean toward the .308 due to its better accuracy and lower recoil.

.308 soft point ammo is probably cheaper than decent slugs.

Another good option for a .308 AK is the M77PAP, cheaper than a saiga and I think its a little lighter.

Well, either would be practical, but I'd personally be very interested to see how slugs do. Just avoid the cheap winchester and remington sluggers. Those are tuned to splat, since they are built around small east coast deer.

Some magnum 0000B would be a good choice too.

• Like 1

308....you want as quick a kill as possible if you going to eat'm...choot'em an inch or so below the ear and they will drop like a bag of hammers...I have shot them between the eyes with a 30 06 at less than 50yds and the bullet does not exit...pigs have an incredible sense of smell...getting them closer than 50 yds can be tougher than you think. Not saying a 12g won't work but after the first shot they will scatter.something about seeing the one next to them drop makes run like hell...lol...308 will get there a lot faster when they are running.

• Like 2

My vote is for these. Ide really like to hear how these do upon impact in the real world.

GUYS,

I TESTED THESE AGAINST 2 1/2 GALLON WATER JUGS SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

THEY WERE FIRED LENGTHWISE THROUGH THE JUGS, WHICH WERE COMPLETELY DESTROYED.

LOOKING AT THE DUPLEKS W-SITE, I BELIEVE THESE BELOW WERE THE DUPO 28 VARIETY, AS THE BASES AND ROTATING BANDS ARE COLOR-CODED SPECIFIC TO TYPE.

post-45478-0-34184400-1403637630_thumb.jpg

THE 3 SHARDS SHOWN WERE ALL I COULD FIND, OUT OF THE 6.

THE PIECE OF PLASTIC TO THE LEFT FITS IN THE GROOVE AT

THE LEADING EDGE OF THE SHARDS, ENCIRCLING THEM AND

RIDING THE BORE, SOMEWHAT LIKE THE ROTATING BAND ON

AN ARTILLERY SHELL, BUT AT THE FRONT, HELPING TO CENTER

THE SLUG IN THE BORE, AS WELL AS KEEPING THE STEEL SHARDS

FROM CONTACTING THE BORE.

post-45478-0-15974900-1403637960_thumb.jpg

THE 6 DARK AREAS ON THE MAIN BODY OF THE SLUG, TO THE RIGHT,

ARE WHERE THE 6 SHARDS SIT. WHEN THE SLUG HITS, THESE 6

SHARDS ARE SNAPPED OFF, TO GO ON THEIR OWN PERSONAL

TRAJECTORIES, JUST-A HOOKIN', JABBIN', AND SLICIN'.

post-45478-0-46252000-1403638023_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-75370600-1403638062_thumb.jpg

Edited by JESS1344

Honestly, if you were going for simple pest control and were taking out a sizable population of wild pigs, an AK in 7.62x39 would be my choice. Ammo's cheap, and definitely sufficient to take out even big boars at short to medium range.

• Like 1

Honestly, if you were going for simple pest control and were taking out a sizable population of wild pigs, an AK in 7.62x39 would be my choice. Ammo's cheap, and definitely sufficient to take out even big boars at short to medium range.

We have found for pop control waiting till about 10 or more pile up on the bait and a couple guys cutting loose with 00 buck has been the most effective.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.......

I have an S-.308 and an S-12.

AND

I just bought land in Central TX.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.......

I have an S-.308 and an S-12.

AND

I just bought land in Central TX.

can i go?

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Between those two, go with the .308 with an expanding round. You will more than likely end up doing most of your hunting at night so the sights on the S-12 will not work as well as an illuminated scope. I am in Central Texas and been hunting hogs the last few years on my land. Started with .308 then "downsized" to a Yugo RPK using Wolf 150 grain soft point (fitted with Gen 2+ night vision). Killed two hogs with one shot the first time out (complete blind luck). Went all the way through the first one (about a 120 pound sow) and about 2/3 the way through the second (a smaller boar). Unless you are hunting a wide-open field, only expect to get one shot off. Hogs are AMAZINGLY fast and will run back into the brush in a blink of an eye.  

• Like 1