Ultimate Home Invasion Defense Weapon ...

This is kinda related to the .22rf home defense thread.  What would be the ultimate home defense weapon?  Clean sheet outside the box thinking.  Legality does enter into it.  What would be your ultimate choice?  I will start.

"Betty Bucker".  My Saiga 12 folding stock shotgun employing three inch magnum BB shot goose loads.  Ten round box magazine.  Laser dot plus Eoteck.  I would retreat into the bedroom hallway to make my stand.  Just me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just have a moat full of sharks with frickin Lazer beams attached to their heads. You guys are crazy.

Posted Images

Ruben Mandiola has or had four (4) American 180s.  About 12 grand each with extras.  Apparently they run 110% when factory tuned.  I have seen but never shot one.  Very cool.

No experience here with this, but from what I have tried to learn up here is that bird shot does not have the time or distance to open up the pattern.  Home over penetration comes to mind.

Edited by HB.  Wrong word, speelling, gramour, sintax, punchunation comes to mind.

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 1

Mine is S-12 with reduced velocity 00buck. HK sights upgraded with XS ghost ring back & big dot tritium front and a light.  

'Choke points' I'd try to engage at constrict intruders movement & put 3 walls between muzzle & the great outdoors.

Under normal circumstances, I'm not going to miss at that range (10" & 15") but, during an adrenaline dump that home invasion is likely to cause, who knows?

Full power 00 will almost certainly get through 3 walls if it doesn't transit some other target medium first. Reduced velocity? Maybe not.  And I can get off 3 aimed shots of the reduced faster than 2 full power loads. 

• Like 3

Kriss Vector with it's original 5.5" barrel, vert. grip, red dot, and flashlight.

30 round mag of the nastiest .45 HP available, and the fun switch set to 2 round burst. (since you said legalities don't apply)

• Like 3

My brother once met the terminator when he was Guv of Kommiefornika.  When asked if 40 watts was too small, the Guv answered that he botched the lines and should have said ... " A plasma rifle in the 40 megawatt range" instead.  Seems they may or may not have had the proper movie permits somewhere in the valley of LA (?) and had to shoot the scene quickly?  And that is Hollywood. :)

If we're talking about "fantasy" weapons that could be built using current technology I'd pick the Typhoon from Crysis 3.  It's a Metal Storm design with 10 barrels, each holding 72 rounds (total 720).  Being electronically fired it could be set to any fire rate you want.  In the game it's set to 30,000 rounds per minute (500 per second).  There is no burst mode in the game but for a hand held weapon a burst would be the most efficient way to use it.  Say 10 rounds burst, all barrels firing simultaneously.  Basically a shotgun that fires armor piercing rounds at rifle velocities. 

post-4831-0-46810900-1442801776_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Real world, I think any compact semi auto 12 gauge with 1 oz of #4 buck 1375 FPS in a flite control type wad or through a choke with 10+ shots. Mag fed preferable. An 8 or 10" s12SBS, or a bullpup something else similar. Mags should not be rock and lock.  12-14 Shot DS straight insert sounds pretty good.Give it AR type fire controls or similar. Pulsing green laser/ light combo, reflexively activated/deactivated by left hand by a large momentary switch integral to the foregrip. i.e. a 1" round button on either side of the forend. Ghost ring irons or the dot of your choice. Comp on the front.  I'd like integrally suppressed too.

• Like 1

He did say "Clean sheet outside the box thinking.  Legality does enter into it".

I just figured Reality didn't enter into it either...

But....

How about his?  It's real...albeit, very rare and expensive...

The Cobray "Ladies Home Companion" in 45/70.

The name just beckons, doesn't it?

"The Ladies Home Companion were produced in extremely limited numbers between about 1990 and 1994. They are an almost identical, scaled-down version of the infamous Street Sweeper 12GA shotgun, produced as a very large handgun (actually a HUGE 12-shot revolver).

A sort of “Mini-Street Sweeper”, these are classified as handguns by the ATF because they lack the stock and forward grip of their shotgun brethren. Very rare, exact number produced is unknown but they can fetch up to $2,000 at times. Chambered in the massive 45-70 Govt. cartridge, definitely a handcannon. If you’re wondering why it got that name, its because Cobray was trying to market it as a friendly, self-defense gun. The ATF tends to pay closer attention if you give it a controversial name…i.e Street Sweeper."

post-1473-0-37355300-1442803051.jpg

• Like 4

I think that the Home Companion is a bit too complicated to be useful. 

Oh! But Claymore mines are a good idea?  Nothing complicated there.... Noooo... What could possibly go wrong with that plan?....

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1

Touche, I was more or less imagining them being set up 1/1 like a security system that instead of it making annoying sounds it just sets off the mine mounted to that entry point. In my mind it would eliminate my own human error of trying to deal with a threat and just automatically deal with it.

Of course they say if you sneeze hard enough near a window it can set off the alarm system so maybe that would indeed be a terrible idea... ^___^;

Nitrogen gas for me!  You can last ~4 min if you can hold your breath in a Zen state.  15 sec tops if you're panicy and your brain is racing.  It also goes through gas masks!  Just drop the O2 level to 11% and the body will begin shutting down with the first or second breath. You'll be out in about 5-10 seconds.  Just make sure that friendlies can get to scuba systems first.

• Like 3

I subscribe to Jeff Foxworthy's deterrence theory of home defense:

[On why criminals rob nice-looking houses]
"You come up on a house where the grass is this tall, and there's a dog chained to the clothesline, and a motor swinging in the tree, buddy, that's a house where a gun lives! And you want to find out what kind it is, just crawl through the window after dark."
And
"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
  • Like 5