Saiga M3 9x19 mod. (new member)

Hi folks. The picture of that tiny 9mm. saiga conversion was not mine.

My project is not advancing since i already ruined two Suomi smg-barrels. Still searching for a new one..

Yeah...thats one of azhonky's guns...he post over at gunsnet in the AK pistol forum. That piece is not that hard to assemble.

Someone makes the magwell and barrel sleeve that you can purchase. Get a Suomi kit and a reciever and throw that baby together. Of coarse the charge handle moved to the left side requires a higher skill level as well as the detail in the forarm....the basic build is straight forward though.

Edited by akok
  • 3 weeks later...
Hm,wonder if I could get by with that and my CCW! :batman: I guess the AR and AK pistols are indeed that,pistols!

Are you limited to just pistols? I know in my state I can carry anything, and not just one at a time :D Whereas some states limit your CCW permit to cover by serial number the gun you took your class with.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive seen the Lichtenberg Research website a few times, but never really considered building one, mostly because im not a big fan of 9mm, and i kinda like the looks of the regular soumi better than the ak version, if i just had some parts laying around, id probably build a soumi instead. (i know, i shouldnt say things like that on such a kalishnocentric forum)

The one in that thread looks nice though, probably a pretty good source of information (even if i cant read any of the captions)

What i want to know, and what ive been thinking of for a couple weeks is what would be involved in building a .45acp ak, i cant imagine it would be that much different in design from that one. Possible sources for parts could be mags from say a grease gun, i know they used to be pretty cheap and plenty. or if you wanted new mags, maybe the hk ump. (the only drums i know of would be thompson, and while that would be nice, im not made of money...) You would probably have to make a mag well and feed ramp. Any ideas on a cheap (or effective) source of barrels?

As far as the gunsmithing, the other problem would be the gas piston, i know the 9mm aks are just blowback, right? would a .45 be the same way, or could you sensitize the gas system enough to reliably cycle? probably not on a short barrel, i know. Im not sure i would really call it an AK if it doesnt have a gas system anymore, though it still looks nice. Anyone know what you would have to do to the bolt and bolt carrier? im not even sure how you get the cartridge size right, as far as extractors and all that. I dont mean to hijack the thread, if you want i can make a new thread.

Heres a quick and shody photoshop i made a day or two ago,

gallery_3313_122_16752.jpg

not sure if proportions are exact, but you know... If grease gun mags were used, it would probably work better with the mag at a full 90 to the reciever, though i know Special Weapons made a .45 mp5 clone that had a slanted magwell and took grease gun mags, probbably all about the feedramp.

Certainly im not the first person to think of this, anyone see or hear of one?

any advice on finding out more, sources of information, reading recomendations, anything?

Anyone consider taking some 7.62x39 brass and hogging it out to 9x39? Then make a 9x39 carbine?

The 9mm sub gun chamber would need reaming to accommodate the extra length and the shape, or a custom AK barrel would do, but I bet one of the smarties here could do it.

From what I've seen at the TULA website they have something like that...

Edited by MD_Willington
  • 7 months later...
9x39mm sounds like an amazing subgun caliber. Also, I have to assume it would require a lot less modification to get that round to feed.

*the wheels are turning*

so if you can do this on a 7.62x39 then is possible on a .308?