How many rounds do you consider an acceptable ammo stash?

Another thread got this question going in my head. How many rounds do you keep on hand, other than for plinking/range time?

I was thinking about picking up maybe two 1K round cases of x39, and keeping it as my "do not touch unless it's an emergency" stash? Is that overboard? Underboard? I'll admit, I'm not big into planning for the end of the world and whatnot, but I think an "emergency stash" would be good, and I only have 2 calibers as of now, so it shouldn't cost that much. I've seen threads like this on Barfcom, and people answer "5K for each caliber........minimum". That's seems a little high. So fellow Saiga junkies, whatcha think?

I guess it really depends on what you can afford. I'm a broke ass but do manage to keep about 200 rounds all of the time for the saiga/sks. I do have other guns to use though, a couple of 12 gauge shot guns, pistols, and other rifles and do have some ammo for each of them.

Hello

As of getting the RRA .308 I'm now investing my ammo $$$ into reloading gear/supplies. Just bought 15K of primers and 32# of various powders. Dillon XL650 is next on my shopping list.

I don't know if I'll do shotshells, but I generally keep about 800-1000 of each (slugs and buck).

Let the crimigrants and Dem's have their way, I'll always have ammo!

guido2 in Houston

I really don't care how much I buy now, since its cheaper today than it is tomorrow. That being said I think somebody asked me this question earlier this week, 7,000 or so rounds between my mosins and my AKs. More x54r than x39 since it was dirt cheap.

Depends on the scenario, I suggest a .22 rifle with a large ammo supply as it's a cheap plinker but will keep you in practice. For SHTF that's another story. Will you be stationary? You can only carry so much at a time. During such a scenario, with any successful excursion, you'll most likely be able to obtain more ammo.

Edited by HEADHUNTER

From the things I have read it would seen that a concealed pistol & ammo are more likely to be able to be used than a rifle/shotgun in the event of a societal breakdown. I have the rifles & shotguns but I would be fearful of walking down the street with them; namely getting picked up. Every day, however, I have my 1911 .45 ACP with me (sometimes 2 :) ) . Just a thought. As for how much, as much as you can afford. Not so much for attacking but because the prices are sky rocketing. I bought CCI Brass Blazer a month ago for $9.97/box/50 and it is now $14.88 at the same place. I think guido2 has the right idea. My bride told me it would make the house messy so I just ordered another couple K to put in the closet (she doesn't know, so don't you tell). Be safe, shoot well, and stay positive.

on another note - history tells us that Japan bought up (and caused prices to rise) metal prior to WWII; China is the one buying it up today, wonder what they have in mind?

Edited by 1911

I am slowly buying ammo supplies, myself. It will mostly get blown off at the Florida shoot, but....

for adequate personal defense/in case of an incident, I always have at least a mag full for each gun I own.

basically, no matter how much you shoot, never let yourself fire off that last 20 or 50 round box.

I've seen all kinds of numbers thrown out there. It usually comes down to what you're preparing for. A Katrina type of situation where you'll need to go 2-4 months before resupply? Well, unless your really think your going to be in pitched battles having 1K rounds for a long arm and 500 for a sidearm (1911 was right on the money about a sidearm being the ticket to be able to fly under the radar and still be always armed) is more than enough.

Preparing for TEOTWAWKI? well then you need 2-3K for your primary and backup (in same caliber) rifles, plus reloading supplies for another 2-3K. 1-2K for primary and backup sidearms, and reloading supplies for them. Then 1K plus reloading supplies for another 2k for your shotgun.

finally, 5K for your suppressed .22.

This stash is not for Rambo, it's for the person with a family to protect and provide for that is going to AVOID trouble and doesn't expect to resupply for years.

I've got more free advice I'll sell you cheap- :rolleyes:

I got a question, and please dont take this as me being a smartass, because its not meant as that. BUT -

If you arent resupplied in a year or two years or whatever, and have fired 2-3k rounds, or part thereof, if you cant recover other arms with ammunition after that many rounds or intruders, something is wrong, or you are dead....

I bought a 250rd case of .45 for my handgun. And I'll keep 200 x39, 100 .308 and 100 various shotgun rounds in storage to never use. Why? because If SHTF you're NOT going to be out plinking at the range on saturday. If you get into a gun fight you'll only have time to shoot one or two mags (however big they are) and the chances of NEEDING 5000 rds of any ammo for self defense is ludicrous.

Shotgun for intruders.

x39 for Small game / brush gun.

.308 for the bigger stuff. Moose, Elk, Bear, Deer, Zombies.

.45 ammo for walking the streets.

You gotta believe that if you get into a gunfight and WIN, and someone comes looking for revenge and you win again, you'll have fired maybe 50rds of various caliber and i doubt anyone will fuck with you in your neighborhood again.

I got a question, and please dont take this as me being a smartass, because its not meant as that. BUT -

If you arent resupplied in a year or two years or whatever, and have fired 2-3k rounds, or part thereof, if you cant recover other arms with ammunition after that many rounds or intruders, something is wrong, or you are dead....

Legit question.

The concept is that this is a base stash of ammo to last you for years without significant resupply. Based on what we have had reported here on Katrina and the noted posts from Argentina there aren't going to be running, daily gun battles where there are dead bodies all over for you to scrounge from. It will be a intruder here and an intruder there, if they had alot of valuable weapons and ammo they probably wouldn't be attacking you. I imagine a realistic senario being one where you may be approached and if shots are fired they will withdraw to look for easier prey as opposed fighting a pitched battle. If they are desperate and determined then I have the ability to arm family/friends to fight a long pitched battle with the weapons/ammo detailed.

With a family to protect I'm not going to stay in an area that has daily firefights if I can get them out. I don't believe any of us can predict what exactly we will be faced with, so it makes sense to me to prepare for the most likely. And that I determine from history.

I, for one, am not going to count on being in regular gunfights with people that have the same caliber as I do. I also am not going to count on an "acquired" weapon that I have not trained with or know the reliability of to save my ass. If ammo/weapons come my way they can be used for extending/preserving my stash by using them for hunting, practicing, emergency's, etc . I am not going to expose myself by bartering for or with ammo. And I sure am not counting on getting any ammo/supplies from any government entity.

Edit to add-note my initial statement was a stash of 1K rifle+500 sidearm was more than enough. The thousands of rounds was for the years and years of TEOTWAWKI with no resupply. And no, I don't have a bunker.

Edited by Paladin

Interesting replies. From the sounds of it, besides ammo, I'm lacking the firearms too :D . I plan to change that in the next few weeks. I know for sure I'm getting another x39. Pretty much anytime I'm at Gander Mountain, even when not for shooting related stuff, I pick up a 100 round box of MiniMags, so I have a decent supply of that. But, I think I'll get 2K rounds of x39, and not let it drop below 1,500. Glad to know I'm on the, relatively, same page as you guys as far as ammo stashes. Like I said, I'm not big into the TEOTWAWKI concept, but like they say, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Well, I know I'm seriously lacking in the firearms department (S-308, beretta 96, Marlin Papoose, and an AR under construction), but I have a stash of a little over 900 rounds for the .308, and maybe 1000 for the .22, and I'm waiting until the next funshow to get another can of 40 S&W. So I think I'm relatively well-stocked for a SHTF situation, but not TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It). I'd like to get several more thousands of .22, and at least another 1000, maybe 2 of .40 before I could say I'm ready for a several year hiatus of ammo buying.

that's pretty much my thoughts on it,

Acer

i know the odds of being in a sustained firefight are slim but i would rather have the ammo to back myself than be the guy yelling "time out guys im out of ammo" i have never been in the military never shot at anybody but i know when i was playing paintball 200 rounds in 10min was not unheard of so i will stick to the loads of ammo i think 1500 7.62x39 would be good also have to think guys ammos not getting any cheaper might as well buy buy buy

there doesnt have to be a law for them to gather intel. on who is keeping an arsonel the laws will come later. do you not think if ppl are keeping large amounts of weapons and/or ammo that that isnt a big intrest to agents? i would think it would be. how soon ppl for get about ruby ridge

Edited by Cryptkeeper

.....inside 1 2k round, in a SHTF scenario, I would think that you might see 5-12 dead bodies.

Are you prepared?

LOL. many that will read this do NOT have the sand in thier pants to actually pull the trigger on another human being, and end them......I am sure that many members will have the balls to reply to it, though...............

whoever told you .22LR isnt the shiznit, lied to you.........Ill get ya from 150 yards, and you wont have ever heard it......very demoralising..............

Edited by Bvamp
well a few thousand rounds isnt a huge deal i wouldnt consider that a stockpile just enough to keep shoting now this is a stockpile

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22726

i read down that post i guess there is a limit on ammo you can have

WoW now that is an arsenal. OMG im going to be dreaming of that all week (lol) thanx for the pic. but the bill they are trying to pass is if you want to have more than 1k you must have a arsenal licence to have it.so more that 1k could get their attention specially with intent to stach. in the army 1 of the things i learned was you never admit nothing. loose lips sink ships or get you home raided. but you MIGHT be right 1 or 2k really will not get to much attention but any more i bet would. its just this is a VERY dangerous subject to be tell strangers to me RED flags go up (danger, will ,danger).

to answer the question that started this thread to me that would be to each his own. look at how much you have shot in the past year, now stock up that much for each year until you think your to old to shoot like 75 +/- 5yrs that way you will never need to buy ammo again unless the SHTF then you might want to double it. lets say your 30 yr old and you shoot 1 box of ammo per year then all you need is around 45 boxes of ammo for you until your 75 years old. it really depend on how much YOU shoot to how much YOU should stock up (and can afford)

Edited by Cryptkeeper
whoever told you .22LR isnt the shiznit, lied to you.........Ill get ya from 150 yards, and you wont have ever heard it......very demoralising..............

quoting myself, and not editing my comment. Just because I want to say 22LR rules, and say it twice.....

a .22 is a dangerous thing......especially in the eyeball.........

i try to shoot at least once a week and twice a week in summer so i guess 1k rounds isnt that much i will go through that in month and a half. i cant afford it anymore though note i said i would LIKE to have that much ammo lol at the moment i actually have sadly 0 tounds of 223. 7.62x39 poor lets just say my 10/22 has been getting a work out. box @ wally world lasts 2 weeks good enough for me realistically thats all you need 22. good for everything

I would expect enough to load every magazine you own TWICE,is the absolute minimum amount of ammunition an armed man should have.

but I believe centerfire ammunition is the underground currency of the future and have invested accordingly.

example:In Japan a black market round of 9mm live ammunition is worth $125ea and in the Palestinian Authority during the Fatah/Hamas fighting a single round of 7.62x39 was $35 when it was essentially free to anyone who was of a terroristic bent only weeks before.

Even in the USA my $28 battlepacks purchased a few years ago are approaching $75ea!!

You should keep as much ammo as you can afford and not just as part of your gun habit/hobby/etc but as part of your nest egg because globalists are successfully driving the price of ammo up with their peacekeeping and unsolicited warfare while making sure that arms and ammunition are becoming more scarce for individuals seeking to defend themselves.

Hoarding ammo is a better investment than the stock market since 9/11;)

there doesnt have to be a law for them to gather intel. on who is keeping an arsonel the laws will come later. do you not think if ppl are keeping large amounts of weapons and/or ammo that that isnt a big intrest to agents? i would think it would be. how soon ppl for get about ruby ridge

Note that I didn't say I had such a "arsenal", I don't. Honestly I haven't prepared for TEOTWAWNI, I've prepared for SHTF. And my focus is food, shelter, water, bug out, etc. I have a family that drives my decisions. Ruby Ridge was a crappy situation that got escalated by bad decisions on both sides.

But I don't have a warrant out for my arrest, I don't live in a remote cabin close to the Aryan nation stopping grounds , I've never attended their "church", etc., etc.

I live in the burbs, own a small biz, belong to the chamber of commerce, vote, and am an all around respectable citizen. If the laws say I need a permit for 3-4K of ammo then I'll get one if and when I gather that much ammo.

LOL. many that will read this do NOT have the sand in thier pants to actually pull the trigger on another human being, and end them......I am sure that many members will have the balls to reply to it, though...............

Alright, I call first dibs on this one. I could. After seeing what one crazed man can do with a solid drunk on with a gun, I could in an instant see the reasoning in taking someone down. Some people just need a good shootin'.