I was going to post the same thing. I see people let their kids shoot FA guns on video every now and then, but never say anything because it's not my place. Personally, I wouldn't let anyone under 16 or so shoot mine. They can stick to more common guns until that age.

Another article about this incident, with a picture of the boy shooting..

I would guess it was either a Micro or a Mini UZI. Even at 8 years old, I don't think a full size slow firing UZI is going to stand up on the kid like that, but I could be wrong. The full size guns don't really come up at all. A Mini.....possibly. A Micro, definitely. Try firing a Micro without the stock extended. It takes a determined man with a double fisted death grip to keep that thing down.

Tony

Tony do you think the owner of the gun should have known better than to let a child try to shoot it? I have never been to a civilian shoot and do not know if its all about the money for the owners of the weapons as far as shooting them or what.

Still, a sad happening for everyone.

This is a sad story and showed poor judgment on the part of the Father, but hardly indicative of the "dangers" of going to the range.

More kids are killed and injured every year from participating in school sports then from firearms. Here is a link from liberal Canada that proves my point.

Why no uproar to ban the football?

I don't see any problem with an 8 year old shooting a full size UZI, but a MICRO.....no way. I had one for awhile and would not even let Melissa shoot it, despite her firing tens of thousands of rounds from many other machine guns in the past.

The Micro wants to spin upward in your hand like crazy. Even with the stock extended, it torques so much, it could easily slide the buttpad off your shoulder and swivel the barrel around toward you. It's a nasty little gun, and probably one of, if not the most dangerous to shoot from the shooters perspective. The rate of fire is around 1,700 RPM, so just a short blip of the trigger will let off a bunch of rounds adding to the control problem.

Tony

I've also never understood when they give first time shooter's a full clip either. Hell you know they're probably going to be surprised, work up to it with a partial clip. This though was just plain stupid, 8 year old, full automatic anything is stupid.

My step mom just told me about this, I was digging for more info. If in fact it is a Micro Uzi like Tony's info states then it was a very poor choice to let an inexperienced shooter handle the gun, let alone an 8 year old.

I'm afraid to see the fall out from this one

I've seen full grown adults shoot AK 47's for the first time and the muzzle hit the sky. Just like everyone else has said. An 8 year old with a full auto is not smart. I watched a 10 year girl shoot an MP5 but her dad supported the front of the weapon and here shoulders. Thats a realy sad thing that happend. I will be praying for all who were involved.

Edited by ripper1

This is a terrible event. My heart and prayers go out to the family at this time.

There is plenty on blame to go around and some are calling for legislation, others feel that attempts to add legislation, that will not help to help prevent it happening again.

Clear case of negligence on many levels and tragedy that should have never happened and could have been avoided.

This story is gaining legs as well and I do not see it ending well for the shooting community in Mass. at least.

The first time I let my wife any shoot semi-auto I only loaded 1 round in the magazines

Its not that she doesn't know how to use them, it is just that you never know...

My thinking also. Start with one round and work up....And a micro????? I don't understand that at all.

My kids started shooting at 7, they only got 1 rd at a time untill they had "mastered" the old Marlin Glenfield.

Adult supervision is only as good as the level of maturity provided.

let alone a weapon that fires "Open bolt"