Saiga .308 to G3 mag adapter

Absofreakingloutly!

I have both a G3 mag and a FAL mag sitting on my bench waiting for me to get a bright idea of how to make it work. There are sites such as:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AKM/AK_308/mag_308.htm

That show how to use the G3, but it involves a lot of cutting on the receiver. If you have a better way, like a magwell based kind of adapter. I think they will fly.

I paid $3.00 for a 20rd G3 mag in perfect condition vs. $50 for the SF and FBMG mags. Think maybe people might be interested?

I believe a fair # of talented folks have already tried this and retired the idea ... especially in terms of anything that can be reproduced.

A few have tinkered their individual weapon to do so allegedly, but nothing I'd invest my money into.

I'd like to see it happen as well but wont be holding my breath.

HarvKY

I believe a fair # of talented folks have already tried this and retired the idea ... especially in terms of anything that can be reproduced.

A few have tinkered their individual weapon to do so allegedly, but nothing I'd invest my money into.

I'd like to see it happen as well but wont be holding my breath.

HarvKY

Seems like a good idea. I'd be interested.

A while back I found a post someplace that detailed how to convert a Saiga for the G3 mags, the modification needed to both the mags and the Saiga were huge and as I recall the results weren't the best either. But like I said above, once the Saiga is mod'd for the G3 the Saiga mags would no longer work mostly because of how much the mag post had to be opened up, but with that said a mod'd Saiga might still be able to use the Saiga mags with an adapter that would fill back in the material taken out to fit the G3 mags. You'd have to look at the post that describes the proceedure for converting to G3 to fully undestand how much work it took to make the G3 mags to work, and as I recall the G3 mags were modified to so you wouln't be able to just use off the shelf G3 mags, they too require modification (grinding, welding etc.). It looked like way too much work to save a few bucks on mags, mags that would be usfull in the mod'd gun only. At least with the Saiga mags you know you can use any mag made for a Saiga, with the G3 mod you would only be able to use the mod'd G3 mags and I don't think they would be very easy to find.

I never got the reasoning for trying to shoehorn non native mags into a platform because they are cheap.

You have feed angles, dimensions, and locking that are often all different.

#1 to me is reliability.

Your telling me that a cheaper mag never designed to work in a particular weapon is going to be just as reliable?

Like I said. I just don't get it.

If you want a G3/Cetme just buy one. I think a Cetme is currently cheaper than a S-308.

Reliability is the first and foremost concern of course. If it's not reliable there's no point in it.

We have all types of mags and drums that are not "native" or "factory stock" that are reliable. I have a bunch of AGP mags and a MD drum for my S12 that are not factory and they work flawlessly. I use 30rd AK mags in my x39 that are not Saiga specific and we add bullet guides to make them work. My rifle also works flawlessly.

So why not? If I can get an adapter that allows me to use a inexpensive mag in a Saiga .308 how is that different than what we are already doing?

And in so far as being able to still use Saiga mags-what for? If I mod my gun to take G3 mags then those are the mags I'll use and don't care about Saiga mags.

Mags are considered a consumable item, they wear out, get broken, lost, etc. Saiga factory 8rd mags are like $38. right? the SF and FBMG high capacity mags are $46+.

As I said earlier, and with the caveat that it works, I would jump all over a quick release, magwell based adapter that allows the use of G3 mags that are plentiful, great quality, and $3.00 a pop!

I'd buy 50 of them and stash them for the PAW.

Yes, most if not all of us would be interested. You might also consider trying out the DPMS .308 mags as well. Somebody just released some that retail for $20ish.

I can do the DPMS .308 by the end of next week, barring outside interfearence. I was just looking for the cheapest mag that was reliable and would fit in the magwell. The G3's are doable, but not without more extensive work, FALs at $7.99 were my second choice, but I will have to see if they fit without altering the basic gun. The DPMS is probably a mil spec AR10, which I can do now. The M-14 at $15.00 at 44mags is another possibility. I am researching mags for reliability now, that's why the G3 came up. Any AR type would be easy as it would be the same as the .223 that I have built and shown on the .223 forum, only larger, so the angles and release would be the same, just body size would be different. I need to put my hands on a FAL mag and check for fit. If these work, that will be my choice. If not the M-14 I know will fit and will be my choice. I will keep you posted. If the DPMS is mill spec and everyone would be comfortable with it, the adapter would be cheaper for me to sell as I already have a small working model.

I like what I'm hearing, I am seriously considering buying a .308 saiga for my " .308 battle rifle". The cost of the magazines is a major concern I have. With a looming AWB possible, I would like to stock up now on magazines.

The high price of the current magazines avaliable hurts to overall affordability of the Saiga as a battle rifle. I mean say you buy 10-20 mags of the cheapest avaliable lets just say $ 40 each avg. That = $400 to $800 in addition to the current Saiga rifle price of $500 for me. Combine those and you are looking at a much bigger chunk of change. $900- $1300 for a basic setup with plenty of magazines.

Obviously you guys can do the math and look at more expensive rifle with MUCH cheaper magazines at almost the same cost when all is said and done,

This mod/adapter is a much needed idea IMO.

I'll probably buy the dang gun today anyhow, but it would be nice to have some affordable mags.

I like what I'm hearing, I am seriously considering buying a .308 saiga for my " .308 battle rifle". The cost of the magazines is a major concern I have. With a looming AWB possible, I would like to stock up now on magazines.

The high price of the current magazines avaliable hurts to overall affordability of the Saiga as a battle rifle. I mean say you buy 10-20 mags of the cheapest avaliable lets just say $ 40 each avg. That = $400 to $800 in addition to the current Saiga rifle price of $500 for me. Combine those and you are looking at a much bigger chunk of change. $900- $1300 for a basic setup with plenty of magazines.

Obviously you guys can do the math and look at more expensive rifle with MUCH cheaper magazines at almost the same cost when all is said and done,

This mod/adapter is a much needed idea IMO.

I'll probably buy the dang gun today anyhow, but it would be nice to have some affordable mags.

There are a few more things you may want to factor in.

If 922® compliance is a concern, using most G3 mags (AFAIK all but the Thermolds) will require replacing more of the listed foreign parts to be complaint (as all three mag parts would be foreign). So, you'd need to add in the cost of the extra parts as well as the cost of the adapter to your equasion.

Still, depending on how many mags you plan on buying, you'd likely still be ahead using the adapter and G3 mags. The more mags you plan to buy, the more sense the adapter makes.

Ok guys, The G3 can be made to work, but it maybe more modifying than you will want to do. HOWEVER, the FAL mags will work (about 8 bucks), so it's not going to be quite as cheap but, I think still a good value. I hope to have some even better news for you in a week or so. This design is gonna be sweet! And Yes, I am listening to the voices in my head! But only because so far, they're right!

Edited by renegadebuck

FAL mags are fine! They are still a hell of a lot cheaper than the SF/FBMG mags. DSA has metric FAL mags for $10. each if you buy at least 5.

IMO a standard complement of mags is about 20. So 20 x $47 = $940! OR 20 x $10 = $200. Gee, which way to go?

I can tell you that with the prices on Saiga's going nuts people are not looking at them as the same value as they once were. The higher cap mags were a great plus for the .308, but on top of the rising cost of the rifles people are looking at alternatives now.

Edited by Paladin
FAL mags are fine! They are still a hell of a lot cheaper than the SF/FBMG mags. DSA has metric FAL mags for $10. each if you buy at least 5.

IMO a standard complement of mags is about 20. So 20 x $47 = $940! OR 20 x $10 = $200. Gee, which way to go?

I can tell you that with the prices on Saiga's going nuts people are not looking at them as the same value as they once were. The higher cap mags were a great plus for the .308, but on top of the rising cost of the rifles people are looking at alternatives now.

Nathan of Magnolia and I are working on this together, so you know when the design is final, he will make a great product.

I found some FAL mags for 7.99 on a website. I'll look again and post the link. I bought 3 from the surplus store for 8 bucks ea. to make the build.

• 3 years later...

I'd like to see an AR-10 mag adapter. Magpul's PMags are the best mags I've ever owned. They're strong, reliable, and feed flawlessly in both my AR-15s. If an AR-10 conversion is doable I'd jump on the waiting list immediately! I'd kill to be able to use PMags on my S308.

post-7639-0-32316800-1346801548.jpg

• Like 5