What reason to give chief LEO to sign Form 1 for 8" SBS?

Before the chief LEO or whoever is going to sign my Form 1 for me, and asks why I want an 8" SBS, what legitmate reason can I give him?

And I don't think "because I want to" or "it's cool" are answers that will suffice.

Could I say for better HD?

This will be a HD weapon...

What other reasons are there?

Edited by TronJohn
Before the chief LEO or whoever is going to sign my Form 1 for me, and asks why I want an 8" SBS, what legitmate reason can I give him?

And I don't think "because I want to" or "it's cool" are answers that will suffice.

Could I say for better HD?

This will be a HD weapon...

What other reasons are there?

ixnay on the zombies.

All mine say "collectors item". That being said, I've heard that they have accepted some pretty wild responses in the past, so "because its cool" or "zombie defense" might actually fly depending on how much of a hardass your examiner is. I think "all legal purposes" pretty much covers everything you might do with it.

haha Bob that is pretty funny!

I will go with investment & collector.... I want to raise NO flags if I can.

I mean I am a clean cut, 26 year old law abiding citizen with just a few speedign tickets on my record... so there is no reason for them to deny me... I just want to make sure I approach them properly.

thanks guys.

haha Bob that is pretty funny!

I will go with investment & collector.... I want to raise NO flags if I can.

I mean I am a clean cut, 26 year old law abiding citizen with just a few speedign tickets on my record... so there is no reason for them to deny me... I just want to make sure I approach them properly.

thanks guys.

Well really they can deny you for no good reason other than they just don't feel like it, despite having a clean record, etc. I'm hoping you don't have to go through that but if it does happen don't get too upset because there are ways around it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My Class III guy recommends combining two of the mentioned uses. Mine states "Collector and All Legal Purposes". His reason for using this is to allow the maximum flexibility for usage for me.

However, the "Zombies" one is really goddamn funny! :ded: "Home Protection from Werewolves & Aliens (both Illegal & Outerspace)" might make a good addition too!

Well really they can deny you for no good reason...

The CLEO is generally not compelled to sign the form, regardless of your suitability. There are options if you cannot get the signature.

See the "GETTING THE LAW ENFORCEMENT CERTIFICATION" section HERE

When dealing with the government, less is more.

Go with "Any legal purpose", as this covers "collecting", "research and developement", "zombies" and any other legal purpose.

The more you put on any government form the more it can multiply the crap you have to wade through.

Edited by nalioth

The way I understood it, you're not asking permission from the CLEO, you're notifying them almost like a courtesy, and giving them the opportunity to deny it if there's a real reason. They are required to sign it unless you have a legitimate reason. Trying to argue that with the Sheriff might be tough though...I simply went the Trust route myself.

The way I understood it, you're not asking permission from the CLEO, you're notifying them almost like a courtesy, and giving them the opportunity to deny it if there's a real reason. They are required to sign it unless you have a legitimate reason.

They are NOT required by law to sign your form. CLEO's refuse to sign all the time.

You can however petition the BATF to approve your form without the signature. This is usually done by attaching a letter of police clearance, or a police letter saying you have no criminal record/history with them (which is easier to get).