Rear Iron Sight Removal

They can be VERY tight. I drift mine out by setting the receiver on a 2x4 on a concrete floor using a BFH and a large brass drift and finish off with a brass punch. A mid size hammer and decent style steel punch will work too, I just prefer brass for a lot of things. I also prefer a good penetrating oil, but WD should be fine. Once you get it to start moving things will ease up.

I used the same method pretty much as 6500RPM. But, really, if you are not going to reinstall it, just take a cutoff wheel in your Dremel and cut it. It will come out easy and you will save a lot of wear and tear on everything, including yourself!

I took mine off and put the taller one on to go with the AK style front sight. It was a real bitch, like the guys above, big fucking hammer, punch and a lot of sweat and prayers. I feel for you if you are putting the taller sight on instead of going with another sight set up.. That was the hardest, getting the new one to start.

I took mine off and put the taller one on to go with the AK style front sight. It was a real bitch, like the guys above, big fucking hammer, punch and a lot of sweat and prayers. I feel for you if you are putting the taller sight on instead of going with another sight set up.. That was the hardest, getting the new one to start.

You have to hit that sumbitch HARD! Beat it like it owes you money and it will come out. Or...you could cut it out with a dremel. :D

You have to hit that sumbitch HARD! Beat it like it owes you money and it will come out. Or...you could cut it out with a dremel. :D

Dremel, meh. An angle grinder with a diamond wheel did the job for me right quick -- after I wasted a lot of time with a BFH, a punch, a can of penetrating oil, and a propane torch. I think it's revenge for the Cold War, or something.

heres a question for you guys... what direction did you all try to drift it out? I drove mine from the scope mount side to the side with the charging handle... left to right as you look down the gun... what did you guys do?

I saw a comment from Tony in an earlier thread that left-to-right (as you describe) is usually the easier direction. As I said above, I never did succeed in drifting my rear sight and had to cut it out. But after I removed it I did notice that the dovetail opening on the left side was narrower than on the right. It looked like the front edge of the dovetail was at a true right angle to the barrel but the back edge was slightly out of square. I had to dremel out the left side of the rear dovetail a little in order to get my new rear sight drifted in.

Edited by boxorain

The key is to have the gun solidly supported, (on concrete works well) not sitting on top of a wooden workbench or table.

Yes a BFH and a big brass punch will take it out. "Liquid Wrench" or other penetrating oils will help.

I haven't found it any different going L to R or R to L.

Wasn't there just another thread on this same subject posted very recently?

yeah it was only a few days ago(maybe a week) i remember telling them they needed to hit thier shotgun harder than any gun should be hit.

I braced mine in a 6" vice with some leather to preserve the finish of the gun. Worked good for me, didn't use any oil tho...

some of these are almost impossible to move, to the point that you might break the gas tube attempting to get it out. Do what Judd did, if you dont plan to reinstall the sucker, cut it lengthwise with a dremel disc cutter and pop it out like that.

One should really try to use a vice and rig something up to drift these. They arent exactly "tapped" into place at the factory, Im betting....

Man, Nailbomb, that's good.

I usually take the gas tube off first, then mount it as deep as possible in a large vise. So deep in the vice jaws that the sight will only barely clear the jaws coming out. A reasonable sized hammer and a good solid punch will take it right out this way. It's very hard to properly support the side of the tube end with it still on the gun.

It makes the job easy enough to make it worth taking the tube off.

They're talking about cutting it clean in two, L to Rt. It will just fall out that way. You can also use a hacksaw. I've removed a bunch of them and I've never had to cut one before...it's a very simple procedure, it just requires some force and good support. The gas tube is in absolutely no danger if you support the gun by the so called "trunnion" and receiver.

Ask TTR about us drifting his rear sight with the tube and rear trunion supported, and how that worked out. That was the worst one yet, I think.

We have seen so many sights not staked properly in place at this point, and throughout the course of the importation of this firearm, that I think in my spare time this month up in the shop, that I will make a tool to do this with, if I can get Tom to let me "appropriate" the parts to make it with. I actually have tossed a few ideas around lately, and think I may have a solution to it.

If you are replacing it, just cut the thing 3/4's of the way through left to right and tap it out of there and just be done with it.

Ask TTR about us drifting his rear sight with the tube and rear trunion supported, and how that worked out. That was the worst one yet, I think.

We have seen so many sights not staked properly in place at this point, and throughout the course of the importation of this firearm, that I think in my spare time this month up in the shop, that I will make a tool to do this with, if I can get Tom to let me "appropriate" the parts to make it with. I actually have tossed a few ideas around lately, and think I may have a solution to it.

If you are replacing it, just cut the thing 3/4's of the way through left to right and tap it out of there and just be done with it.

I posted this on a previous thread.

Put gun through tubular steel piece and align the bolt with the side of the rear sight.

Crank screw and push out sight.

post-15138-1236022298_thumb.jpg

LOL you posted that in THIS thread Dave!!!

The thing i see wrong with that, is its not supporting the gas tube. If I can come up with a tool that works well, Ill be sure to post about it.

LOL you posted that in THIS thread Dave!!!

The thing i see wrong with that, is its not supporting the gas tube. If I can come up with a tool that works well, Ill be sure to post about it.

I knew I shouldn't have done that last shot of Jack Daniels last night :ded:

• 2 months later...

Installed the Krebs rear tonight. First tried to drift it out from the charging handle side to the left side...no dice. Flipped the gun over, went to a bigger brass punch and heavier hammer, a little more oil, and it took maybe a half dozen whacks to drift the old sight out going from left to right. Installed the new Krebs in reverse order, again only about a half dozen to get it it, and a few more to line it up with the front sight.

These sights are so much better than the originals it ain't even funny...:)

Installed the Krebs rear tonight. First tried to drift it out from the charging handle side to the left side...no dice. Flipped the gun over, went to a bigger brass punch and heavier hammer, a little more oil, and it took maybe a half dozen whacks to drift the old sight out going from left to right. Installed the new Krebs in reverse order, again only about a half dozen to get it it, and a few more to line it up with the front sight.

These sights are so much better than the originals it ain't even funny... :)

Yep, Krebs are the shitz :smoke:

Pounded my old sights out, had to treat'em like a pedophile in prison.

Getting the new started required a bit of finesse to get started, then more whupass to get in, and then more TLC to get'em centered.

Does anyone make a ghost style rear sight that'll work for these that's not as high as the Krebs? I'm needing to raise the rear sight a ways, but my FSB is on level with the stock sight, and I think a Krebs might be too high. Gotta drift it to the right a little too.

I know Aero makes a Glock ring rear, but I have no idea if its center is actually taller than the top of the stock rear sight.

Thanks

Corbin