I have some Peacocks and a couple of chickens here on my property, well it seems like the past couple of nights they have been being terrorized. I'm guessing its the probably the new cat who is hanging around. Though im not exactly sure, it could be a fox, a weasel, or something of the sorts. Well I went down to the Gun Store the other day, and 2 guns caught my eye that would be great for the job of taking out the nuisance. One being a Beretta CX4(9 mm) and the other a GSG-5(.22 LR). The Beretta CX4 is used and he only wants around 500 for it, the GSG-5 is similar in price but it is brand new. Ok here's where things get complicated, the Beretta CX4 still looks like its in great shape. Kinda looks like someone bought it and had buyers remorse or couldnt afford the ammo. So the obvious choice would probably be the CX4. Well the only problem I have is that I live in town, so whatever I used has to be reletively quiet. The CX4 seems like its going to be a bit loud for what im going to use it for. The GSG-5 doesn't really seem that loud to me and it only fires a .22 LR so its ammo is cheap and its quiet. The CX4 is a 9mm which isnt so easy to get ammo for. This is pretty much what I have to choose from, I mean i don't feel like placing a special order to take care of some pests. I already tried a BB Gun the cats don't seem to afraid of it, and i'm not even sure it is a cat that's terrorizing my birds. I was tempted to take my Saiga 12 out there and just send the cats on their way, but that wouldn't end well on my part. So i'm just looking for something quiet as not to disturb my Neighbors.

Be very careful about discharging firearms in incorporated areas.

Know your state, county, and local laws regarding firearms.

I have recently had squirrel problems with them getting on my roof and into the attic.

Trimmed the trees, and they were just jumping farther to the roof, very persistent little bastards!

I attracted the attention of the neighbors running around my house with a pellet gun trying to bag one.

Once I explained that it was only a pellet gun and that I was after squirrels everything was cool. I had

a talk with my neighbor across the street and told him how I sucked wind with the pellet gun and briefly

considered going after the squirrels with bird shot in the shotgun. Even with him being a gun owner

down to earth kind of guy, he raised an eyebrow on that. He said that even though we are in an

unincorporated area, state law (Illinois) likely has law that forbids firearms discharge with close

proximity to incorporated areas (which we are). I don't know but it was a good thought, I didn't even

think of that. I may call the county sheriff and see what he says about shotgun pest control.

Anyway, just don't assume that if you "keep it quiet" that everything will be ok.

It would suck to get fined, lose guns, etc. over something like that.

Good luck.

I have an occasional rat under my chicken coop. We are unincorporated, but have neighbors close enough that I can't shoot a great deal. not that it isn't legal, I just don't want to freak out the neighbors. I use sub-sonic 22LR 910 fps for my rat buddies. The report is louder than a pellet gun but not by much. The downside is that it won't cycle any semi-auto so you are effectively using a single shot 22. Set up with a night scope, this method has been deadly.

My mom uses live traps on her farm. She has chickens Peacocks and some other birds. Where she's at possum,coyote,foxes and bobcat are the norm. They've been pretty successful with the traps. Even though the outcome for the varmit is death it makes it easier and you won't get one of your own in the crossfire. I had to take out one of the possum last week with my 9mm. Would have used the end of a shovel but I had on new white sneakers. How are you with a bow and arrow?

I would vote with the raccoons too... or if not them, then possums... I also second the live trap route... get them in the trap then take them for a one way drive and shoot them out in the country, or just drown them nice and quiet like... :up:

:smoke:

Today we caught a big dog attacking our enclosures, I think I might have to buy the GSG-5 and use subsonic ammunition. I really need a permenant solution, I have a 900 FPS Air Rifle(I guess most people call them Pellet Guns) and it doesn't seem to get the desired results. I popped a dog right between the eyes with it one time and it yelped and ran off. I want to know that whatever attacks my Birds isn't going to make the same mistake twice. Even if that means killing the animal. I am not willing to sacrifice the life of my animals, because another owner can't keep their animals under control. We couldn't even keep our Koi Pond over this same exact thing. We have a leash law too, as outlined we have a very strict leash law. However they put the law in effect and refuse to enforce it, we called them today and tried to get them to send a catcher out today but it was Sunday the Dog Catcher wouldn't come. Would be nice if the real world worked that way, but the world don't stop on the weekend. I mean if the ER closed on the weekend imagine how many people would die.

Not to even mention it drives my dogs crazy, if one of them were to get out the door and kill the dog that's attacking my animals then it would be put down. Yet they won't put any of the dogs that have repeatively attempted to kill my animals, and have actually lead to the stress induced death of some of my animals. Right now im having to purchase a new female peacock over this mess. The cost effective solution is a gun, and anyone here who has wildlife enclosures or keeps domesticated farm animals should know how I feel. I've been polite enough to my neighbors to not use my Saiga 12, but i'm tired of these attacks. Now yes im going to get in alot of trouble if I walk out a pop off a 12 gauge shotgun. As far as it being illegal, so is letting your dogs roam free to kill other peoples animals. Yet they do nothing about it. I think the easiest thing to do would get a .22 LR some SubSonic Ammunition and just get rid of some of these predators roaming around my yard. I was reading about these CCI CB Long Subsonic 22LR and they might work.

The CB longs will not cycle a semi auto............You will need to charge it each time, kinda like a 2 port Saiga,... :rolleyes: .....But a CB long will drop a 40 LB mutt, in your trash on Sat morning, in town..........and you could end up , outside in your underwear, stuffin the damn mutt in a black trash bag, before the sun comes up fully............. :ph34r:

It really depends where the OP is located. Can you discharge firearms legally? If you can't, be very very careful -- and I am not about to suggest anything illegal.

If you can shoot on your land, I'd suggest an accurate 22 and a RED light. If it's 'yotes you should really go for headshots with a 22. If you have room for a shotgun, full choke and #4 buck will kill them DRT out to 35-40 yards.

......and you could end up , outside in your underwear, stuffin the damn mutt in a black trash bag, before the sun comes up fully............. :ph34r:

LOL...... nice mental picture..........that would make a nice Norman Rockwell collectible plate.

Edited by Spartacus

Last summer I had a skunk problem. I live right at the edge of town limits, but still inside of them. I called the Police to see if it was ok for me to shoot my gun in city limits, and he asked what for? I said well, I've got a couple of skunks. Either I can shoot them or you can. He said "Go right ahead" lol.

Well, the solution could be a simple one, but I don't know if suppressors are legal in Illinois. First-time NFA transfers are taking a few months last I heard, but if you're so inclined, a Ruger 10/22 with a nice can would take care of your pests and allow your neighbors to sleep in peace. If you want to go all-out, you could even get a nice nightvision scope. Good luck and good hunting.

Well, the solution could be a simple one, but I don't know if suppressors are legal in Illinois. First-time NFA transfers are taking a few months last I heard, but if you're so inclined, a Ruger 10/22 with a nice can would take care of your pests and allow your neighbors to sleep in peace. If you want to go all-out, you could even get a nice nightvision scope. Good luck and good hunting.

Excellent point. Even if suppressors are legal in your jurisdiction, they may not be legal for pest control or hunting. For instance in Alabama you can own a suppressor but you cannot use one for hunting. State fish and game regulations classify all pest control, trapping, and such activities as "hunting", so according to the letter of the law you cannot legally use a suppressed firearm for critters here.

Just one more thing to consider before conducting a 3-S operation.

How big is this area? Would a fence work? I know they aren't cheap, but it could work.

And, there's always good old rat poison. I don't think it gets any quieter than that.

Edited by Graniteer
......and you could end up , outside in your underwear, stuffin the damn mutt in a black trash bag, before the sun comes up fully............. :ph34r:

LOL...... nice mental picture..........that would make a nice Norman Rockwell collectible plate.

Oh man i just caught this... :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Excellent point. Even if suppressors are legal in your jurisdiction, they may not be legal for pest control or hunting. For instance in Alabama you can own a suppressor but you cannot use one for hunting. State fish and game regulations classify all pest control, trapping, and such activities as "hunting", so according to the letter of the law you cannot legally use a suppressed firearm for critters here.

Just one more thing to consider before conducting a 3-S operation.

Where I live here in Oklahoma, we do have seasons for animals such squirrels. Infact we have a hunting season of some kind all year. Though I know in Oklahoma if a squirrel or other pest has become a nuisance you have the right to kill them, even if they have a hunting season for the animal and it is not that hunting season.

Anyways, I still haven't decided how to handle this matter, as yes a bow would do it. I'm sure I could pick it up fast, but i've never shot a bow. Been shot with a bow, does that work lol. My Air Rifle is 900 FPS and it can't drop a dog. even with 10 pumps. I doubt 100 more FPS is going to make a difference in dropping a dog.

I'm highly considering picking up the .50 Cal Beowulf. I own the top of the line on the AK platform, I might as well own the top of the line on the AR platform as well. That way I can truely say i've experienced the best of both worlds. As far as getting rid of the attackers i'd be in the same shoes as I am now, just now I'd have 2 really loud powerful guns lol. I think I could get away with shooting a dog where I live though, since most of this stuff happens at night its going to be harder to see me, and down here the only way they can arrest you for it is if someone sees you do it and reports you. one time during the day I was awoken by a pack of about 9 dogs, and had to scare them away from my birds. This was before I got my Saiga 12. If such a situation were to arise again I feel that I would legally be able to use my Saiga 12 in defense against the attacking dogs.