So Bud's is running a Sale on Stack On's with free delivery and Sports Authority offers them with in-house delivery. Any idea how these stack up for the $$? I know the safes at Lowes are considered flimsy junk and I don't have $2K+ to spend. Considering this one with electronic lock delivered for $729 :

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/ind...rentPage=search

Other ideas or just go for the do-it-yourself home hiding ideas from another thread?

Or just say hell with it and buy more ammo.

Edited by VincentYGB
So Bud's is running a Sale on Stack On's with free delivery and Sports Authority offers them with in-house delivery. Any idea how these stack up for the $$? I know the safes at Lowes are considered flimsy junk and I don't have $2K+ to spend. Considering this one with electronic lock delivered for $729 :

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/ind...rentPage=search

Other ideas or just go for the do-it-yourself home hiding ideas from another thread?

Or just say hell with it and buy more ammo.

I bought one of these W/combination lock. I think It's better than nothing, mine weighs 500 lbs empty, you can bolt it to the floor if you want, kids can't get in it. I betting that the "average" zombie theif won't be able to crack it. I didn't have 2k to spend on one either I feel better with it, than without it.

Just my .02

I've read comments from safe dealers/locksmiths stating that one should avoid electronic locks. I would look for a used safe, I have seen some decent deals(around half-price if you are patient) on craigslist. Also, get one at least twice as big as you think you will need if you can afford it. They say you WILL eventually fill it. YMMV

Be sure to get one with a Relocker. Even if the locking mechanism is punched, the bayonets will remain engaged.

If you have ever taken one apart that doesn't have a Relocker, you would be seriously surprised how easy it can be breached. Simply put the end of a big ass bar right on the dial, and strike it with a sledge hammer. The lock will pull away from the door and release the handle to turn. Turn the handle, the bayonets retract and the safe is open.

Tony

God thread, and good timing. I'm actually looking for a good safe right now.

This is what my local dealer carries.

http://www.libertysafe.com/

Check out the video of those guys trying to break into one. I'm currently looking at the Fat Boy. Looks like a good safe to me. Has anyone had experience with these safes? I don't see a relocking mech. listed on the specs, but are the other measures ok in case someone who knows their shit has a go at it?

Actually, allow me to correct myself...a professional can get into ANY safe. I'm talking about the average thug who knows a few tricks.

Fat Boy...

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_fatboy.php

This is me and my son in front of my buddies safe. The door has squared edges and is almost seamless when its closed. They have a video on their site that shows burglers trying to pry it open with a pry bar,but its impossible. Its got titanium ball bearing anti drill barriers,and additional relocking devices activated by tool and/or torch attack. Its really nice!

post-1936-1246496100.jpg

post-1936-1246496223_thumb.jpg

Heres the web site:

Graffunders safes

This is me and my son in front of my buddies safe. The door has squared edges and is almost seamless when its closed. They have a video on their site that shows burglers trying to pry it open with a pry bar,but its impossible. Its got titanium ball bearing anti drill barriers,and additional relocking devices activated by tool and/or torch attack. Its really nice!

post-1936-1246496100.jpg

Heres the web site:

Graffunders safes

I would LOVE to have a safe that big.

Looks like you can get different color schemes too.

1b1ca43d71f48db04eeb8f32ac9e91c3.jpg

5351477dd0461ee964392073ef4aa93c.jpg

635536b6cf94d5d0d37f66059630bac5.jpg

ca65c1cf24f7692f951288a5bb057da9.jpg

I'm diggin' that last one.

I jsut bought a nice Stack-ON Pro Series 24 gun safe at Dick's. Water fire and drill resistant, weighs a fucking ton, I converted the inside so half is gun cabinet half is shelves of ammo, came with lots of ways to change the inside. Was ~$600

What ever one you want, get the next bigger one...... trust me.....

I totally agree.....................

SafeDoor.jpg

So how many square feet is your safe? I've been thinking about doing this in my next house.

What ever one you want, get the next bigger one...... trust me.....

I totally agree.....................

SafeDoor.jpg

So how many square feet is your safe? I've been thinking about doing this in my next house.

Couldn't it be ANY size you wanted? Up to and including like a 500sf room? Or did you just concrete block in your free-standing safe?

post-1936-1246496100.jpg

Heres the web site:

Graffunders safes

Your buddy has a hell of a nice collection!!

Edited by Kube

Tony, thanks for the reloader tip, definitely the way to go. The Stack On models from Buds all have them and seem to be a great deal compared to everything else. Sports Authority has a good deal on the slightly less heavy non-reloader models including in-home delivery except when the model goes over 500 pounds (all the reloader models) the in home delivery fee skyrockets.

Now the issue will be how to go from curb delivery and figure out how to get a 532 pound beast up the steps and me out of back surgery. :cryss: That's about the weight of all the new appliances put together.

I have a Liberty "Presidential". It is a great safe except, the interior racks and shelves are fabric covered particle board. I leaned on one of the racks trying to reach a rifle in the back and actually cracked the particle board. Ended up replacing all of the racks and shelves with some good plywood. Acquired a new router in the process though.

Edited by dough448

post-1936-1246496100.jpg

Heres the web site:

Graffunders safes

I would LOVE to have a safe that big.

Looks like you can get different color schemes too.

1b1ca43d71f48db04eeb8f32ac9e91c3.jpg

5351477dd0461ee964392073ef4aa93c.jpg

635536b6cf94d5d0d37f66059630bac5.jpg

ca65c1cf24f7692f951288a5bb057da9.jpg

I'm diggin' that last one.

Do you know how much these safes run? I looked on the website but couldn't find a price.

No idea. I'm sure much more than I can afford at the moment.

Curb delivery of a heavy safe = rent a power stair climbing hand truck!

Mine weighs 1000 pounds empty, I read and read on the internet about how to move one. This is what I did. Me, my brother, my 14 yr. old son and my wife, kinda, rented a uhaul truck with a ramp. Backed up to the door, extended the ramp into the house onto floor. Used a refridgerator dolly to get it into the house (the hardest part by the way) Once in the house it is a breeze. Two people can move it easily with some one inch dowel rod. As long as there are no stairs. My wife actually did the "I don't like it there" crap and I had to move it, twice. But honestly with 5 or 6 1 inch dowel rods 20 inches long or so, me and my wife moved it with ease. Once it was in the house. Work like an Egyptian baby!

Corbin

Anything that states it has a Group II lock is a relocker. I went to Dick's on the 4th and checked out the Stack Ons but even on sale they couldn't match Bud's deal.

I didn't receive immediate instant credit approval with free interest from Buds so I'm still waiting on it. Hope I receive it before they go off sale or sell out. It's strange since I already had GE credit approval with another company and paid it in full last month.

Mine is pretty small...2' wide 18" deep and 5 foot tall but it is made out of 1/2" steel. Holds 6-8 long guns plus a lot of other stuff. Obviously bigger safes hold more but size isn't all important....there are a lot of flimsey ones out there. Mine takes 3 guys to move it up and down stairs which I have done 4 times...needless to say I have not bolted it to the cement yet. I keep it in the baement so let someone else work to frucking get it out. haha. Keep an open eye on the newspaper as that is where I found mine years ago...cheap.

Edit: I mean I have moved it in and out of 4 houses. Kind of hard to explain too but it is a key lock. you put the key through a 3 inch hole and engage it in the top of the hole...manual dexterity required.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR IN A 63