My Favorite Local Gun Shop Raided by ATF/Local Law

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/08/feds_polic...ile_gun_sh.html

Feds, police raid Mobile gun shop; owner pleads not guilty to nine-count indictment

Posted by Jillian Kramer and Brendan Kirby, Staff Reporters August 14, 2009 6:00 AM

Categories: Breaking News large_gunraid.JPG(Press-Register/Bill Starling)An ATF agent puts a pair of rifles taken from Larry McCoy's car in the back of an SUV Thursday Aug. 13, 2009. Federal agents and Mobile police raided Larry's Gun Shop, which McCoy owns and operates, on Pleasant Valley Road Thursday morning. McCoy was arrested and later pleaded not guilty on a nine-count indictment. This photograph is part of a Press-Register gallery of images from the raid. MOBILE, Ala. -- Police and federal agents raided a Pleasant Valley Road gun shop Thursday, confiscating documents and arresting the store's owner on allegations that he sold a gun to a convicted felon and falsified federal records.

Officers parked at a shopping plaza across the street from Larry's Gun Shop on Thursday morning, waiting for word that the shop's owner, Larry Dale McCoy, had been taken into custody.

At 9:58 a.m., the officers got their notice -- they sped across Pleasant Valley Road in their unmarked cars and swarmed the store's parking lot.

Down the road, on Fairmont Street, McCoy was being put into handcuffs.

Officers switched off the store's "open" sign, then seized dozens of boxes and two computers from the store, along with at least two rifles and a handgun from McCoy's white car.

Both Mobile police and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives participated in the raid.

By Thursday afternoon, McCoy, of Bay Minette, pleaded not guilty to a nine-count indictment in <a href="http://www.als.uscourts.gov/">U.S. District Court.

According to the indictment, McCoy sold a Saiga 12-gauge semi-automatic shotgun on April 11 to a person who had been convicted of a felony. That buyer, an informant working with the government, is not named in the indictment.

McCoy also failed to note the buyer's name, age and address on forms that licensed gun dealers are required to fill out, according to the indictment.

The indictment listed three other transactions in which McCoy is accused of failing to fill out required forms. They were:

McCoy's attorney, Robert F. "Cowboy Bob" Clark, said his client is innocent. He said federal investigators targeted Larry's Gun Shop and other firearms dealers.

"They set him up," Clark said.

He suggested that purchasers used "straw buyers" -- without McCoy's knowledge -- to make the transactions.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Bert Milling Jr. allowed McCoy to stay out of jail pending trial, which the judge scheduled for November.

While he awaits trial, McCoy will not be allowed to possess a firearm -- a restriction that will complicate his business.

"That is my livelihood. I own a gun shop, obviously," McCoy told Milling. "How do I manage that?"

medium_mccoy.JPG(Press-Register/Bill Starling)Larry McCoy stands in handcuffs as ATF agents search his car Thursday Aug. 13, 2009. This photograph is part of a Press-Register gallery of images from the raid. Milling told McCoy he must make other arrangements. Clark said his client's wife works in the business and may be able to run it in her husband's absence.

Mobile Police Chief Phillip Garrett said Thursday that McCoy's business has been under investigation since May 2007.

Garrett said he got a call at that time from a mother whose 17-year-old son had illegally purchased an assault rifle from Larry's Gun Shop.

"We also had information that several guns used in crimes in Mobile could be traced back to this gun shop," Garrett said. "So we asked the ATF to join us to look and see if these allegations were true.

"We have no problem with people who sell guns legally, and most gun dealers in our area do. But I hope this sends a message to others who sell firearms."

I've dealt Larry and his family, it is a true family run business.

One of my favorite local gun shops, nice people, no nonsense and a wide selection of semi-auto rifles/pistols.

My father-n-law and I have patronized his shop for at least a decade.

I have purchased several firearms/ammo/accessories directly from him, done FFL transfers and just stopped by to hang out and talk guns.

Larry and his family are very legit, run things by the book and cut no one any slack.

For example, I, due to my own stupidity in my younger years, have a felony arrest, no conviction, it means that no matter, my NICS check is delayed, no Confirmation/Denial, just delayed and never answered...

Every time, wait three days...

No exceptions, no matter how well known I am to Larry.

I've seen them just flat refuse to make a sale, to a obvious gangbanger or other stereotyped dirt bag individual.

Several local branches of well known security firms send their new employees to Larry, for firearms/ammo/accessories.

I have no doubt that Larry was likely set up/entrapped.

I have a VERY hard time believing Larry would shit in his own pants, especially for what amounts to petty money.

The BATFE/local law enforcement have tried to run this same game on another local shop, which ended in a acquittal.

This two year investigation is bullshit, and all parties involved know it, if they actually had anything on him two years ago, they'd have hung him then.

The same lawyer who successfully defended the other shop, has been retained at substantial expense.

This goes to trial in three months, meanwhile Larry cannot come 50 yards of his own legal business, cannot possess a firearm and had to empty his house of firearms.

Oh yeah, who was minding the store when the ATF barged in?

Larry's wife.

Whom was asked if she was armed, when she politely replied in the affirmative (not knowing the scene down the street with her husband), six ATF thugs drew down on her and were reportedly none too polite.

I called the shop this morning and talked to Larry's son Trent, offered my morale support.

Let me tell you about Trent, 6' plus, big dude, not to be trifled with, and a friendlier extrovert ya never had the pleasure to meet?

He was very appreciative, I could hear the stress in his voice, and when he started to relay his mother's ATF experience, I could'a swore he was almost in tears.

Straw buyer? They'd literally toss any such person out on their ear.

Knowingly sell a 17 yr'ol a Saiga 12... Bullshit, only if he presented fake ID, and passed a NICS background check.

Knowingly sell a convicted felon a firearm... no, just NO!

Not these folks.

This Is Bullshit, I do NOT believe any of the charges outside of the possible paperwork screw-up.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I bet the straw sales happened. That term can be bent very very far to get somebody. Me borrowing one of my Father's guns could mean that he bought the gun in his name for my use, which is illegal. However, I bought my Father a pistol for his birthday once. I bought it, it is in my name, we consider it his. We've both fired it. If they have a problem with that, then can go fuck themselves with a pineapple. If I can borrow guns, when exactly would it become a straw sale? Would I have to borrow it for X weeks or something? It's all red tape BS.

Does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that a freaking newspaper has time to get in place to do a photo spread?..And even more odd..do they take them along for publicity shots when they raid a meth lab?

Ole Heinrich would be proud.

Does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that a freaking newspaper has time to get in place to do a photo spread?..And even more odd..do they take them along for publicity shots when they raid a meth lab?

Ole Heinrich would be proud.

well said

I know nothing about whether or not this guy did what he is accused of. But if he really did what he is accused of.....sorry....i have no sympathy....putting the guns in the hands of those who should not have them is what puts us all in a bad light when they go nuts and shoot up a school or gym.

I hope he is innocent, but if he is not, best send your buddy some lube....he is gonna need it!

It is hard to know what really happened from a media account, however, if true it is a easy piece of paperwork to fill out correctly. Unless that was never your intent.

I hope that he is innocent. but if not I am not in favor of leniency.

On the other hand, the Feds over did it, but they always do.

I honestly do not think Larry would do what he is accused of doing, an employee could have screwed the pooch on the paperwork, but he is responsible for that in the end.

If he is actually guilty, yes, he deserves whatever he gets.

But what is so damned scary is the ATF's propensity to do whatever they have to do to get a conviction, including manufacturing evidence, lying/misleading, coercion and etc.

As I mentioned above, this is not a new game here in Mobile, another gun shop owner was charged with similar crimes and eventually acquitted.

It was a farce, a attempt to drive the small private stores out of business, which did happen later.

Larry supposedly has coughed up $25,000.00 in retaining fees for a excellent lawyer, the same lawyer who successfully defended the above.

Edited by ChileRelleno

How would the guy know if he was selling to a straw buyer? Did the guy check "yes" next to that question & Larry sold to him anyway? I mean aren't "straw buyers" kind of sneaky :ph34r: ? How can a guy be held accountable for that? :unsure:

How would the guy know if he was selling to a straw buyer? Did the guy check "yes" next to that question & Larry sold to him anyway? I mean aren't "straw buyers" kind of sneaky :ph34r: ? How can a guy be held accountable for that? :unsure:
If he knew or suspected a straw buyer, i.e. person A is obviously choosing a firearm and then blatantly has person B make the purchase...

I've seen it done at Academy Sports.

But, in this case, they (the news media, and we all know how perfectly they report things) are saying, is that Larry intentionally and fraudulently placed this woman's name on the paperwork for the three mentioned purchases.

I also notice, they do not list all nine (9) charges.

EDIT:

More, from another source, http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/mobile...-2009_10-22-pm/

Note: In the video, his lawyer says Larry has been selling guns since 2007, Larry has been in business longer than that.

He means/needs to say, "They have been investigating Larry for suspected illegal sales since 2007? What the fuck has taken them this long to act, if he has been doing this?"

EDIT:

And another, http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crime/Gun_...Federal_Charges

Edited by ChileRelleno

This whole thing disturbs me. I have no use for the ATF storm trooper style of some of those guys.

But why was "Larry" arrested down the street with guns in his vehicle and the store was not closed down ?

I hope he was not down the street marking a "Parking Lot" sale with no paperwork.

ATF really doesn't like a FFL holder making off premise , non-paperwork tranactions.

And yes a lot of dealers have done this for years..........

Also too many employees have done little things like, "Oh, I took the gun in trade and we didn't have it overnight and I didn't log it in, or do paperwork, because I sold it later that day"..........I checked the register tape for the day and "Oh, by the way I guess you forgot to put the cash for it in the register too"........ :ded:

Just seems to me there is more to this story.............

If he is legit, start a defense fund and I'll contribute to it............I hope someone will start one for me if they raid me for "Selling guns while wearing a beard" or some crap like that..

But all bets are off if they have a solid case........

......................................Tom, (VK)

This whole thing disturbs me. I have no use for the ATF storm trooper style of some of those guys.

But why was "Larry" arrested down the street with guns in his vehicle and the store was not closed down ?

I hope he was not down the street marking a "Parking Lot" sale with no paperwork.

ATF really doesn't like a FFL holder making off premise , non-paperwork tranactions.

And yes a lot of dealers have done this for years..........

Also too many employees have done little things like, "Oh, I took the gun in trade and we didn't have it overnight and I didn't log it in, or do paperwork, because I sold it later that day"..........I checked the register tape for the day and "Oh, by the way I guess you forgot to put the cash for it in the register too"........ :ded:

Just seems to me there is more to this story.............

If he is legit, start a defense fund and I'll contribute to it............I hope someone will start one for me if they raid me for "Selling guns while wearing a beard" or some crap like that..

But all bets are off if they have a solid case........

......................................Tom, (VK)

Who said the guns in his car were for sale? Many people keep guns in their cars and he may have drove to the corner store. His shop was open because his wife was there while he was gone to welcome any customers, no need to close just because the guy was gone for 10 min. It is possible that it was a sting and he was braking the law but, without proof, I'll assume he is innocent.

I honestly do not think Larry would do what he is accused of doing, an employee could have screwed the pooch on the paperwork, but he is responsible for that in the end.

If he is actually guilty, yes, he deserves whatever he gets.

But what is so damned scary is the ATF's propensity to do whatever they have to do to get a conviction, including manufacturing evidence, lying/misleading, coercion and etc.

As I mentioned above, this is not a new game here in Mobile, another gun shop owner was charged with similar crimes and eventually acquitted.

It was a farce, a attempt to drive the small private stores out of business, which did happen later.

Larry supposedly has coughed up $25,000.00 in retaining fees for a excellent lawyer, the same lawyer who successfully defended the above.

I'm surprised the ATF agent did not wear a black mask and a black storm trooper uniform. JPFO has documentation of how the ATF manufactures evidence to convict people. The NRA used to print ATF abuses but for some reason they stopped doing it. Soldier of Fortune magazine also ran an article around 1980 calling the ATF America's Gestapo. With the Arab usurper in the White House and DemocRAT majority in Congress the ATF may get out of hand as they did in Waco in 1993.

I remember hearing one of the workers in the Oklahoma City Federal building who lost two children in the blast saying on Detroit talk radio: "why didn't the ATF have their children in the building that morning?" When the host asked her to elaborate she froze in fear and said it was a slip. You could tell the fear in her voice, I don't know what they did to intimidate her but it worked.

I don't care for the fact that the ATF used a convicted felon and sent them to buy a gun.... Whats next sending convicted terrorists to buy explosives??

The correct way to do it is to flag someone so that they will fail the background check who is on the payroll and really has a clean record. That way the public is not at risk.

What does a straw purchase look like anyway? I go gun shopping with friends all the time and I point out why they would like this one or that one. That would look the same as what they are talking about. Heck I always point to an FAL or a new M1A and say to whoever is with me "you can buy me one of those anytime you want".

Hello, all. As many of you already know, my father has been arrested on firearms-related charges. Simply stated, he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Despite this and the fact that he retains his FFL, he has been ordered to have no contact with firearms at least until after his trial in November. That means, of course, that he cannot set foot in his own business and all of the firearms in his house had to be removed before he could go home. Also, the lead ATF agent in the raid instructed my step-mother, Lynda, that they are not allowed to purchase any new inventory or previously-owned firearms for resale. I'm not sure if that last order is even legal. All of his records and the shop PC were seized. Along with the scandal of his arrest, these measures have crippled his business at a time when considerable funds will be needed for his legal defense.

I'll avoid any speculation as to the motives behind the trap set for my father, but I will say that I would not wish what has happened to him on anyone. Those who would like to offer support, financial or otherwise, may do so at SupportLarry.com.

Thank you.