I took my new camera to the range this weekend. It has a sports shot setting that takes 11 photos per second, so naturally I thought "Let's try to photograph a bullet in mid-air!" Well my friends, here it is, from my Saiga .308 ....

I hope you all enjoy! I'll try more guns next weekend.

post-16191-1252432703_thumb.jpg

post-16191-1252432720_thumb.jpg

Looks more like ejected brass. At the far edge of the second photo, you can see where the brass appears to be continuing on it's trajectory.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. Look closely and you can see the entire cartridge...the "bullet" part is just the bottom of the cartridge reflecting light back (the cartridge is pointed down at about the 7 o'clock position)...it's even clearer in the 2nd pic.

Edited by sidewinderl

I thought brass at first but my photos show that piece of brass, and another, traveling on trajectory every 6 inches of movement. It became clear that it was the bullet after zooming in all the way. I just didn't want to upload all 44 of my photos for the contrast and compare analysis. But if you want them I'll e-mail them to ya.Maybe I can just get MORE bullet shots! I think I'm getting sick Boss, I gotta go shooting, er , I mean Home for the day!!

Bullets are going to be travelling at a very high rate of speed, like 2500fps or so. If you are filming at 11 frames per second, your bullet will travel about 200-250 feet between frames. Considering that you are only showing about 10 feet of free space in front of the muzzle, you have about a 1 in 25 chance of getting the bullet captured on a given run.

In addition, you need to know what the shutter speed is for that camera. If it is 1/400 of a second, for instance, the bullet will clear over 6 feet of space in that time... so you would be looking for a streak on the photo.

In addition, you will most likely still see smoke and/or flash at the muzzle if the bullet is in view.

Do this again but mount the camera in line with your gun, like on a tripod behind you or something.... if you have the sun or other light behind you, you can easily see the bullet. I do enjoy watching 7.62x39 and .40S&W traveling down range.

Bullets are going to be travelling at a very high rate of speed, like 2500fps or so. If you are filming at 11 frames per second, your bullet will travel about 200-250 feet between frames. Considering that you are only showing about 10 feet of free space in front of the muzzle, you have about a 1 in 25 chance of getting the bullet captured on a given run.

In addition, you need to know what the shutter speed is for that camera. If it is 1/400 of a second, for instance, the bullet will clear over 6 feet of space in that time... so you would be looking for a streak on the photo.

In addition, you will most likely still see smoke and/or flash at the muzzle if the bullet is in view.

Excellent evaluation and explanation. Also right on the money! :up:

I'll try it from behind the shooter with good sun. At least maybe I can get a vapor trail from the bullet going down range. So, if I use my shotgun with velocities that are much lower, or a light target load in my .44 pistol, my odds of catching this elusive target should increase accordingly?

If I can get the bullet in mid-air I may try to get a photo of Bigfoot shooting a bullet in mid-air! Apparently it wouldn't be much more difficult. Great advice for my next try! Thanks!

Do this again but mount the camera in line with your gun, like on a tripod behind you or something.... if you have the sun or other light behind you, you can easily see the bullet. I do enjoy watching 7.62x39 and .40S&W traveling down range.

+1...if the sun is at the right angle you can see them with the naked eye, especially rapid fire. On my range, when shooting late in the day, the sun is setting behind and to the side of us. It's cool to watch mag dumps.

Caught a 9mm casing while me sis was shooting my 9mm AR. I want to get a "good" camera one of these days. Or maybe I just need to mess with the settings to get clearer images of fast moving objects.

P9050175-1.jpg

(BTW, that's TR_Young's handywork on the decal on the magwell :up: . Still holding up great.)

try bumping or rapid firing two or three rounds for the camera.....you might get lucky

you can see the slug in this picture actually entering frosty's (that BASTARD) chest....and the fireball....but this is a 12 gauge, not a rifle, either, in cold climate.....i think it was 25F when i took that video?

...frosty kept coming back every winter though, dumb ass....

post-83-1252455312_thumb.jpg

Shot my x39 the other day and can see a coupleof the bullets going 'down-range' also...

Thought maybe the Norinco ammo was slow.... :rolleyes:

Thought maybe the Norinco ammo was slow.... :rolleyes:

nah, yer just getting used to your weapon. You can see pretty much all rounds go outbound, if you are in the right spot with the right light, in the cases of the faster cartridges....

they zip on out there, but the naked eye can see most small arms rounds go downrange, given the right conditions.....

I left my slide rule in my other pants so I'm just going on my gut here. It seems to me that in order to catch a bullet in any of these frames you would have to be seeing the bolt in the process of moving backward with no casing ejected yet. Anything beyond that and that bullet is long gone. In the first two photos the bolt is all the way forward, meaning that the gun has completely cycled while the bullet is still a few feet away from the muzzle? I don't think so. In the third shot the bolt has traveled all the way back and ejected a casing about a foot or so away from the gun. This would make it more likely that the fired bullet is still in the frame but I would bet against it. I think the bullet is well downrange there, too.

Edited by DogMan

akbullet1.jpg

I just ran across this photo which shows an AK having fired a round, hit a pond at least 75 feet away, and moved water skyward while the casing is no more than 12-18 inches away from the gun.

Exactly my point. The bolt-carrier is still at the rear extreme of it's travel and the muzzle flash/smoke is long since gone.