Newbie with an upgrade question??

What is the next best upgrade besides adding a hand grip?? I have read a lot about muzzle add ons and fore grips. I must admit I am pretty new to this gun and I want to make it perfect.

I just got My S 12 From MAA( great service and an awesome price. I highly recommend them ) I want to do the hand grip conversion but I am curious what others do to there guns after that.

Here is a good before pic, hopefully by the end of the year it will be very different.

021.jpg

Thanks in advance

-Newbie chick

It's the Pistol Grip, plus Fire Control Group plus Stock at a minimum. That will also get you 922r compliant. Some guys really bling the guns out and some don't. It's more a matter of personal preference than anything else. Definitely restore it to pistol grip config, that will make it much better handling. Other than that it's all a matter of how much money you want to spend.

Welcome to the forum and addiction Newbie chick. As Tacticool stated the most important thing is to meet 922r but set some guidelines on the way you want your gun to be. You can browse for ideas in the picture post or come up with something wild and creative on your own. Either way we are here for questions and support during your adventures.

I highly recommend checking the number of gas ports you have and check for reliability issues before doing any cutting or grinding on it. Cadiz Gun Works will do warranty repair for factory issues.

Edited by Superhawk138

There are so many parts options out there.

Look around the internet sites for "Saiga-12 Accessories" and book-mark items you'd like.

I made a list of http:// address locations for my last mod. You'll find lower prices amoung the crowd.

Go back to the main Saiga12 page and click on the 'STORE' tab.

I made my own trigger guard / grip mount - and it's not hard to do if you have the tools to do it. Buying one is better though.

The original stock / trigger setup on the Saiga-12 is OK, and works well for medium-long arms. But once you start changing things, you'll fall under the rules of the often mentioned "922r" law. You might as well put as many US made parts on it as possible.

Go for it and post pics here after it's done!

- Liam the Long Lost

http://www.madwulf.com/Saiga12

The best advice I can give is to pay close attention to what is going under the hood. The action (receiver components) and gas system are the most important part of the conversion. At the end of the day, performance is what separates a really good gun from an average gun.

As far as what you want to put on the outside, the sky is the limit. I prefer a functional approach, less is more, but more can be more as well. It's all a matter of taste.

For a first timer, I would recommend a drop in Tromix fire control group, and a Tromix trigger guard kit.

Before you do anything, make sure your gun is cycling the way you want it to. If it isn't get the warranty work done BEFORE the conversion.

Good luck, and have fun with your conversion.

WS

The best advice I can give is to pay close attention to what is going under the hood. The action (receiver components) and gas system are the most important part of the conversion. At the end of the day, performance is what separates a really good gun from an average gun.

As far as what you want to put on the outside, the sky is the limit. I prefer a functional approach, less is more, but more can be more as well. It's all a matter of taste.

For a first timer, I would recommend a drop in Tromix fire control group, and a Tromix trigger guard kit.

Before you do anything, make sure your gun is cycling the way you want it to. If it isn't get the warranty work done BEFORE the conversion.

Good luck, and have fun with your conversion.

WS

+1 on the Tromix Tips then how about a Tromix folding stock or Cobra's vented gas tube cover?

Whatever you do, don't cheap out and get one of those Tapco no-mod stock sets with the pistol grip mounted on the bottom of the stock, you'll only be cheating yourself, and end up replacing it in the end.

Like WaffenSchmied, I prefer a function over fashion, but there are a few things that I stuck on my gun simply for the aesthetic value, like the flash hider and the gas tube cover, although the functionality of both are up for debate. I would say the functionality is minimal, while the aesthetics are subtle, but really complete the look.

DSCF1461.jpg?t=1253564915

Also, for a first timer, I would recommend the Tromix or Dinzag modified FCG, unless you're handy with a grinding wheel. It's not difficult to do yourself, but it all depends on what you feel comfortable doing.

A word of warning, you may want to go ahead and learn how to do the stuff yourself, because you will want to get another Saiga, and it gets expensive if you have to pay someone to do all your conversion work.

I haven't used a Tromix folding stock on my conversions, so I can't say. Personally, I like the Tapco composite folding stock. It's reasonably priced, stable, installs easily, works well and has a lifetime guarantee. I toss out the whimpy OEM screws, drill and tap for heavy duty torque screws, mount the stock and forget about it.

Cobra's gas tube cover is very tacticool (My thoughts are with him today). I haven't used it on one of my guns, but I like the way it looks.

For me, less is more - so I do my own forend mods, leave the sights as they are, and concentrate on polishing the internals, getting the action as smooth as it can possibly be, and optimizing the gas system. Everyone has a different approach. Mine works best for me.

I'll post an image of one of my guns below.

post-18546-12535656963779_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

WS

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I have put about 100 rounds through it. I am happy with how it works. It is way easier to clean than all my hand guns too.

I am going to do the internal grip conversion. I think it cleans the gun up nicely and I heard it will run smoother also.

Newbie chick

Your gun looks good in the picture, but I for one would like to see a picture of you holding it...

011.gif

Yes, its extremely important that we have pictures of the owner. That helps us be more precise on recommending the exact type of parts and accessories for you. blush.gif

EDIT: Just kdding, of course. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by DogMan

With all the different muzzle options out there, some cool and some goofy, I opted for a vented poly choke as one of my first additions. So far I couldn't be happier, I've shot just about every type of shell with the poly on there and it's great. I've been running on X Full lately and the OO buck patterns at 30 to 40 yds are nice and tight. I even shot some trap yesterday and put on a show with my 19 incher. The range was pretty silent when I walked away with a 22 out of 25, I even shot with some rangeworkers using trap guns and they wished they were shooting S 12.

Lotsa good suggestions here for you. I think first thing is to add an aftermarket gas puck. I use the Kings Armory, but there are others that are reputed to be as good. Also you'll want a Gunfixr 4 position gas plug. Then you'll probably want to convert (actually restore to the original configuration) FCG (Fire Control Group) with a pistol grip and add a folding buttstock for convenience in transport. Mine has the Ace folder, and it's rock solid. Many add a Chaos or Kross multi-rail forend, but it does make the gun a little muzzle heavy, maybe not good for a woman unless you have stronger arms than the average women. To accomplish a similar (but more limited) function, that is, to have one rail for a tactical light and add vents to keep the barrel cool, I used Cobra 2's vented factory forend with a short section of rail on the bottom. I also put his vented gas tube cover to keep from burning my hands when shooting a lot. The gas tube can get hot enough to burn you if you touch it after several mags through the gun. I don't have a choke, but they are a good idea. Poly-Choke seems to be popular for those who want one. You may want to add good sights too, as mentioned by Prison shank. There are a number of them available, so just look through the forum to see what strikes your fancy.

You'll also want some high capacity mags. Just remember, the more capacity, the heavier the gun is when shooting. As mentioned, there are other doo-dads you may decide to add once you have the basics covered. Those are more choice than necessary though, so let your own tastes guide you on them.

Welcome to the forum. You're going to have fun. And BTW, you'll find plenty of answers here for any questions you might come up with. Most of them are here somewhere, so just reading the various posts by others will teach you a lot.

Good luck.

Edited by StarPD

Gunfixer's Plug is great and cheap and improves the functionality of the gun. If it's shooting well with the OEM plug, I'd suggest you upgrade the sights... that'll make it more fun to shoot and make you more accurate for like $90 - Krebs Custom Iron Sights. I'd also recommend the Tromix Charging Bolt for like $11 or whatever, which makes manipulating the bolt like 1,000x better.

Welcome to the forum!

Frankly after you do the pistol grip you should do something to make it load easier on a loaded mag! A magazine fed shotgun that you can not load quickly is kind of pointless. Mine is fast as a regular AK, maybe faster...

Where's that reputation of stomping on the noobs, come on guys ;)

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Check the picture post, to get some ideas about what you want to do with your firearm.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13312

If you've got basic competence and confidence with using hand tools, you can do your own conversion, there are also people who enjoy helping others work on their guns.

Read through the 922r stuff, just so you know how not to get in trouble (there are some links in my sig to go along with it).

Finally, we have a vendors section, be sure you buy your parts from those guys, they do pay to have a section and most of them offer extremely good advice on many many topics.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I spent quite a bit of time reading all the newbie stickys that last week before I posted. There is a ton of great information already posted.

I did not know that upgrading the gas puck and I am planning on doing the conversion on my own. I have a mechanical background and it sounds pretty straight forward.

I appreciate every ones suggestions because they tend to differ from what is posted. You guys also have some sweet looking guns.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and I am already planning many things for this gun.

-Newbie chick

Function is the first thing to look at ways to updrade. No point in having a sweet looking gun that doesn't work or is uncomfortable to shoot. Never hurts to make a list of what features you want and then go find what is closest to what you want. I do that on every gun I've built/ or modified. It's easy to spend money getting all the latest cool stuff and discover you didn't get what you really want in the end. Don't forget to get spare magazines. That an easy thing to over look. Chokes are a great way to increase the effectiveness of any shotgun. The poly choke is a great add on. Maybe look at a choke adapter if you already have a lot of chokes for shotguns you already own.

Edited by Rusty truck
  • 2 months later...

014.jpg

I finally completed the conversion. It turned out great. Was pretty easy. I had to machine a couple things to make it work but I am very happy with the results.

MAA Tri-rail, MAA skeleton stock, (I think I like the Tromix one better though) Hogue grips, Modified MAA 410 trigger guard, MAA folding mechanism, MAA prototype barrel shroud, (very cool. I think they will have them for sale soon) Tromix trigger group.

Thought you guys would like an update. More pics in the next few days...

CP

Edited by ladysaiga

Lady Saiga, nice job! I'm a little newer than you and nowhere near as far along (my "build" is only in the on-paper stage right now), but Positive Reinforcement is always a good thing, and us Newbs gotta stick together...:up:

014.jpg

I finally completed the conversion. It turned out great. Was pretty easy. I had to machine a couple things to make it work but I am very happy with the results.

MAA Tri-rail, MAA skeleton stock, (I think I like the Tromix one better though) Hogue grips, Modified MAA 410 trigger guard, MAA folding mechanism, MAA prototype barrel shroud, (very cool. I think they will have them for sale soon) Tromix trigger group.

Thought you guys would like an update. More pics in the next few days...

CP

SWEET.